PDA

View Full Version : where are Serena and Venus?!

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
They had parade of no.1 players they bring lots of people but no Serena and Venus? :scratch:

they are from LA are not they?! they should invited them! :mad:

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:03 AM
A lot of other former number ones weren't there either

lizchris
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:04 AM
They were supposed to be there.

Maybe they didn't want to be bothered.

starr
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Venus and Serena maintain a home in Florida where they have lived for many many years. Serena also maintains a very nice condominum in Los Angeles. They were available earlier this week for a fashion show featuring fashions from Serena's line of clothing wear.

Chance
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Was Monica there?

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Venus and Serena maintain a home in Florida where they have lived for many many years. Serena also maintains a very nice condominum in Los Angeles. They were available earlier this week for a fashion show featuring fashions from Serena's line of clothing wear.

they should have stayed few more days :sad:

it make sense to not have Steffi Arantxa Monica etc b/c they are far from LA but Serena and Venus were in town early week! :confused:

lizchris
Was Monica there?

No.

Neither was Steffi Graf, but I wasn't expecting her to be there because she just gave birth a few weeks ago.

starr
That doesn't mean they stayed in town.

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
I was screaming at the TV 'where are my Monica and Steffi ???????????????' :mad: :( :fiery: :smash:

Still, nice to see Lindsay :hearts: and Martina :hearts:.

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Was Monica there?

no Monica just Lindsay, Navratilova, Hingis, Evert, Tracy Austin, Jenny, Justine, Kim and Billie Jean :(

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:10 AM
No.

Neither was Steffi Graf, but I wasn't expecting her to be there because she just gave birth a few weeks ago.

That's no excuse - she could have left Andre babysitting.

Actually, on second thoughts, I understand her not coming :tape:.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:11 AM
I thought they would be there too, but maybe they already left.

ToeTag
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Well I don't know about Graf,but the rest of them should have made more of an effort to be there...this sport has given them ALOT.

lizchris
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:12 AM
That's no excuse - she could have left Andre babysitting.

Actually, on second thoughts, I understand her not coming :tape:.

Actually Andre is in Houston to participate in the Y/E Masters.

angele87
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Anybody care to provide details for those of us who can't watch?

What did this ceremony/parade look like? Were the players all dressed up or just in normal clothes? I imagine Justine didn't have too much time to get ready and Kim is playing right after this ceremony I believe!

lizchris
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Well I don't know about Graf,but the rest of them should have made more of an effort to be there...this sport has given them ALOT.

In the case of Venus and Serena, has the WTA done enough?

I don't think they have forgiven the WTA for not coming to their defense after Indian Wells in 2001 and this year's FO.

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:15 AM
lizchris, before I die, I am determined to get you to laugh at one of my jokes. Give in soon please and help me move on with my life (or lack of evidently.)

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Serena is still in los angeles. Venus is in jupiter florida.

Chance
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:19 AM
no Monica just Lindsay, Navratilova, Hingis, Evert, Tracy Austin, Jenny, Justine, Kim and Billie Jean :(

for some reason when I read this post... it made me realised how proud Belgians would be ( don't ask me why it just dawned upon me now : :shrug: :rolleyes: )

I didn't really expect Venus or Serena to show up... and when I didn't see Monica on Monday, I started to doubt Monica will show at all.

Just hope to see all 3 at the Ausopen :bounce:

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Serena is still in los angeles. Venus is in jupiter florida.

Serena! :sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2: :tears: :banghead:

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:21 AM
The one´s who played today were in like training-packs and the others were dressed up, like Lindsay, Martina, Tracy, etc...Pam got strangled by Chris at one time.

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:34 AM
but why Serena not come if she in LA? does she have problem with WTA?! :(

V&SGotItGoingOn
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Did you see Jennifer and Billie Jean talk at all?

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:41 AM
If they are not going to be the "Bells of the Ball" why show up.

I'm down with that.

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:45 AM
If they are not going to be the "Bells of the Ball" why show up.

I'm down with that.

"Bells of the Ball"? sorry in Middle East we don't know that metaphor :confused:

are they going to be ring? or ding ding?

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:50 AM
anybody can explain me?! :confused:

Bells of Ball?

they go ding-ding-bounce-bounce? :confused:

Rocketta
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:52 AM
First off didn't Serena do a bunch of interviews this past week to promote the Championships? Didn't they do the fashion show?

They have promoted the WTA already. Maybe they had something else they wanted to do? :shrug:

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Darn Jellybelly you soooooo uninformed. (I was going to say stupid but that wouldn't be fair)

The "Bell of the Ball" is the Femme Fetale that every man (and woman) lones to be with. They have so much charisma and magnitude that everyone is either jealous of them or wants to be like them.

When they show up. The party has begun.

Much like when I post here.

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Darn Jellybelly you soooooo uninformed. (I was going to say stupid but that wouldn't be fair)

The "Bell of the Ball" is the Femme that every man (and woman) lones to be with. They have so much charisma and magnitude that everyone is either jealous of them or wants to be like them.

When they show up. The party has begun.

Much like when I post here.

what that have to do with top player parade? they not there to pick up dates :lol:

Rocketta don't you think it is disrespecting for Serena and Venus not be mentioned at same time as Navratilova, Evert, Hingis etc. etc.?
:(

Rocketta
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:59 AM
what that have to do with top player parade? they not there to pick up dates :lol:

Rocketta don't you think it is disrespecting for Serena and Venus not be mentioned at same time as Navratilova, Evert, Hingis etc. etc.?

I don't think they care. :)

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:01 AM

It's not about DATES!!!!

It's about protocol. Diva's only dance to their own tunes, not yours or the WTA's.....Got that kid? Now I'm done with your shananagians.

jellybelly
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:03 AM
It's not about DATES!!!!

It's about protocol. Diva's only dance to their own tunes, not yours or the WTA's.....Got that kid? Now I'm done with your shananagians.

I no understand you Ballbuster so now I stop trying :p

Chance
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:13 AM
I no understand you Ballbuster so now I stop trying :p

lol don't worry, not many people understand Ballbuster and when we do understand him/her.... we wish we didn't ;)

TonyP
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Actually, it's "Belle of the ball."

It means the most sought after girl at the dance or the girl who is the center of attention. It has nothing to do with being a femme fatale, since being dangerous or deadly is not a requirement.

BigTennisFan
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Actually, it's "Belle of the ball."

It means the most sought after girl at the dance or the girl who is the center of attention. It has nothing to do with being a femme fatale, since being dangerous or deadly is not a requirement.

Darn it. You beet me too it. :(

Won thing that I'm getting accustomed two from being own the internet is people using the wrong word.

Much of it comes from the fact that sum people seem to reed less nowadays.

In a non-tennis thread wee talked about homonyms which eye believe are the culprits most of the thyme. ;)

Tratree
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:10 AM
I don't know about Venus, but Serena was there this morning for the reception the WTA had to celebrate the 30 years, but she got into it with the WTA and threw a fit and left. She was supposed to do a little thing with these kids from the Safe Passage program (take pictures and sign autographs) and she said she was tired of doing stuff with the kids and refused to do it. She and the WTA lady had a bit of a tiff and she left. Really shocking and very unpleasant. Kim Ciijsters ended up meeting with the kids and taking pics, etc. I'll post some pictures later. It was a really cute encounter. And no, I didn't witness it, but I heard about it from a first-hand witness that I highly respect.

IMO, Venus and Serena as well as Seles, ASV and even post partum Steffi should have been there. It's one freaking thing, it wouldn't have killed them.

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:11 AM
You B!tches know what I mean. I don't have time to purvey over every syllable and neither to I have time to correct grammar. This is one of MANY of my sites I shoot the crap on. Besides, its really not on the top of my list.

harloo
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:21 AM
I don't know about Venus, but Serena was there this morning for the reception the WTA had to celebrate the 30 years, but she got into it with the WTA and threw a fit and left. She was supposed to do a little thing with these kids from the Safe Passage program (take pictures and sign autographs) and she said she was tired of doing stuff with the kids and refused to do it. She and the WTA lady had a bit of a tiff and she left. Really shocking and very unpleasant. Kim Ciijsters ended up meeting with the kids and taking pics, etc. I'll post some pictures later. It was a really cute encounter. And no, I didn't witness it, but I heard about it from a first-hand witness that I highly respect.

IMO, Venus and Serena as well as Seles, ASV and even post partum Steffi should have been there. It's one freaking thing, it wouldn't have killed them.

Was your first-hand witness who you "highly respect" from the tabloids?

:lol:

Smash
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:32 AM
So what happened at the ceremony? Any details?

Shooter
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM
I had a good seat for the 'Ceremony'. It was held after the 2 singles matches were complete, but before the doubles. It was actually very nice. They rolled out a red carpet and brought a podium onto the court. Pam Shriver acted as emcee. She introduced some officers of the WTA, then introduced the former #1's in reverse chronological order, one at a time. So the first two introduced were Kim and Justine. Since they were playing tonight, they came out in warmup suits. Martina N. also came out in a warmup suit, but everyone else wore nice street clothes. Martina Hingis sported the sexiest outfit - a short, tight, skirt, and high heels. I thought it was nice of her to come all the way to L.A. to be a part of the ceremony. However, of all the women that came out, Chris Evert looked the best. She was very slim and wore a very tasteful pants suite. Billie Jean King got the biggest ovation. She also was the only player to take the mike and say a few words. She talked a little bit about the origins of the tour and made some very apropos comments to the current crop of players - along the lines that the tour has come a long way since she played, and that the future of the tour is in the hands of the current players. In other words she was suggesting that the current crop of players should feel some responsibility for the success of the tour.

The ceremony was nice and the tennis was good too - all 8 hours of it! The Staples center is a great facility. Today was my first time there. They have a little problem hosting tennis in that the backdrop behind the players is a very low wall. It's about the same height as the net!This means that the players are usually trying to see the ball with a sea of faces as a backdrop instead of a big blue or green wall you see at most outdoor tennis stadiums. It also means that people in the crowd are often getting beaned with serves and overheads that bounce over that small, temporary wall. A fellow sitting in the front row (2 rows in front of me) was beaned in the face by an overhead during warmup for one of the doubles matches. He was talking at the time and never saw the ball coming. Fortunately it was a glancing blow and didn't really hurt him.

Tratree
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by harloo
Was your first-hand witness who you "highly respect" from the tabloids?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That tramp is lying.

You can hate on me all you want, I'm telling the truth and people who know anything on this board know I am not a liar and have always reported truthfully.

ToeTag
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:06 AM
You can hate on me all you want, I'm telling the truth and people who know anything on this board know I am not a liar and have always reported truthfully.
:) Thanks for the info Tratree.Like I said earlier in this tread this sport has given these players[ALL the ones who didn't show] ALOT so they should have made more of an effort to be there.

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:16 AM
You can on me all you want, I'm telling the truth and people who know anything on this board know I am not a liar and have always reported truthfully.

Sweetie, stop using African Americans slang. Nobody is hating on you. I'm saying you are misinformed, and even if it did happen, SO WHAT! I'm sure the sistahs have their reasons. Don't forget, they wasn't exactly accepted with open arms in this league. They KICKED the door down. Don't think they [should] feel obligated to do freebies for the WTA's fundraiser, especially since they have their own.

I wouldn't do it either.

go hingis
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:19 AM
I understand the Williams sisters having a problem with the WTA, but maybe it's time to be the bigger person for the fans sake. Being a tennis fan we love any and every oportunity to see our favs and especially in a ceremony only for the number one's, it's special.

Martina fans are having an early xmas with all these pics, videos, interviews etc.

go hingis
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:21 AM
The tables turned, instead of the tour using the sisters, Serena uses to tour to show us her new collection.

irma
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Steffi is not far from LA. I have read stories about her and andre taking a privat jet for some simple shopping in beverly hills but then maybe she is still on breast feeding and then she can't leave. you don't take a 1 month old on the plane even for a few hours;)

Martian KC
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Where are they right now? Probably somewhere shaking in their boots.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Too bad...even Martina N got to take a(nother) jab at them for this.

I too think they should have come, but if they didn´t...sure they had a reason.

Paneru
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:13 AM
The tables turned, instead of the tour using the sisters, Serena uses to tour to show us her new collection.

FYI, Neither Serena or Venus needed
the WTA to showcase anything!

It's funny people like you say nothing when the sisters are being taken advantage of or atleast their name and then you have the audasity to get huffy if the WTA gets back what they dish out! :cool:
Please child! :rolleyes:

starr
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Steffi is not far from LA. I have read stories about her and andre taking a privat jet for some simple shopping in beverly hills but then maybe she is still on breast feeding and then she can't leave. you don't take a 1 month old on the plane even for a few hours;)

I wouldn't take a one month old into a huge mass of people who are from all over the world. Most doctors wouldn't recommend it either. I know that most say that you shouldn't take your baby out into crowds for at least the first month and even longer.

PLUS, Graf is a single mother right now. Andre is off in Houston. That means Graf would be toting two very young children down to LA. I'm sure I wouldn't do that either.

Cannot believe I am taking Graf's side in this one. :crazy:

irma
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:48 PM
starr I agree. I wouldn't do it either