PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova's back will not heal in time for Aussie Open

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:57 PM
She said this after an exhibition match against Tamarine Tanasugarn, which she won 2-6 6-4 10-8 (special tiebreak). She said she had a great time and she loved being able to get out there and play a match in front of a big crowd. She said she was a bit rusty, but played very well given the long lay off.

She also said the retirement thing was NOT TRUE. She said everything else was secondary to her tennis at this point and she is doing everything possible to get healthy. She said it is a chronic back problem and although you come to expect injuries, this has been an incredibly frustrating time for her.

She also said she would not be fit to play by the Aussie Open, but she was hoping to play by early next year...

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Sad news! Get better soon Anna!!!

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:35 AM
I thought she retired already.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:36 AM

HATER

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:38 AM

No, she's coming back. Deep down inside, you're thrilled you know that.

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:51 AM
No, she's coming back. Deep down inside, you're thrilled you know that.

You are right. I Loves to she her get whooped. Too bad Venus & Serena don't get a go at her. I'll really enjoy that. I believe Serena will win every point.

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Down boy, she's only coming back next year.

Control yourself until then.

faboozadoo15
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:10 AM
am i the only one who finds this disgraceful? that she would play some exhibition, win it, and use it for her opportunity to pull herself out of contention for the aus open so she doesnt have to make another statement until then....

also the fact that shes played pubilically twice since her last tour match but clims shes not fit to play tour mtches...

Chance
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:21 AM
well they are just exhibiiton matches.. the match probably only last like 30-40 mins . I guess it wouldn't strain her back like a professional match...

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:30 AM
am i the only one who finds this disgraceful? that she would play some exhibition, win it, and use it for her opportunity to pull herself out of contention for the aus open so she doesnt have to make another statement until then....

also the fact that shes played pubilically twice since her last tour match but clims shes not fit to play tour mtches...
yes...because exhibition giggles and real tour events are the same...:rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:31 AM
and she never said she wasnt going to be fit to play australia...i dont know where you got this information from...

ajayares
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:39 AM
and she never said she wasnt going to be fit to play australia...i dont know where you got this information from...

Exactly. What has been said above is from this morning Bangkok post. But Anna isn't quoted as saying she wouldn't be fit for the Oz open. Even though they seem to have made that conclusion, based on what I don't know? perhaps this little bit..

"I will try to do everything medically to get back within the first quarter of next year."

In the other Thailand paper, it says this..

Kournikova is considering an operation, but prefers other options, She has already had surgery on her foot. She hopes to be back on court for the Australian Open.

As far as I am concerned she hasn't rules out playing at the beginning of 2004, hopefully that starts in Auckland.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Anna can still play: Just ask Tammy
Published on Nov 10, 2003

[TENNIS] Russian glamour girl Anna Kournikova confirmed she would be back on the tour next season after she proved she still has on-court talent and upset Tamarine Tanasugarn 2-6 6-4 10-6 in an 58-minute exhibition match in front of 4,000 fans in Pattaya yesterday.

The 22-year-old Kournikova, who was ranked as high as No 8 in the world in 2000, has been out of action since May after suffering a nagging back injury which was expected to jeopardise her tennis career.

“This injury is chronic. I’m glad I still played well, although I haven’t played in a match for so long. The back is OK today, but tomorrow it’s going to be some sore because there were some long rallies,’’ said Kournikova, who denied rumours she was about to retire. Speculation about her retirement increased recently after her injury with many saying she is more interested in being a celebrity than a tennis player.

“I wasn’t saying I was going to retire. I said I was just trying to do some shows and people made it the headline. I think there are many professional [actresses] already.

“Now everything else is secondary for me as I still want to play tennis. I will try to do everything medically to get back within the first quarter of next year. Now I have to wait for the condition to get better, which is very frustrating,’’ she said.

Kournikova is considering an operation, but prefers other options, She has already had surgery on her foot. She hopes to be back on court for the Australian Open.

She will leave Bangkok for India this morning and refused to reveal her mission there, only saying: “ It will be a surprise.”

She will next play an exhibition match with South African Amanda Coetzer in Portland later this month.

Her four days in Thailand was a great experience, she said.

“People here are great. The food here is good. It’s quite hot but I like it. I would love to come back here and stay longer,” she said.

Tamarine and Anna have known each other since their junior years. The Thai beat the Russian in the 1995 junior Wimbledon semi-final, but when they joined the pro tour, the European returned the favour to win the first round of the 1999 French Open with a 6-3 6-3 victory.

When they resumed their rivalry yesterday Tamarine started poorly, dropping the first service game to fall behind Kournikova 0-2, but woke up to reel off six games in a row to win the first set 6-2. The Russian managed an early break in the second set to lead 2-0, which was enough to send her through to win the set 6-4 and level the match at 1-1.

In the final set, which was competed in the super tie-break format, Kournikova played superbly to build a strong 8-2 lead. The Thai rallied back to 6-9, but the former top 10 player was too good in her baseline game as she employed a sharp cross-court shot to end the show at 10-8.

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam
The Nation, Pattaya

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:42 AM
K.

Regards

VID

Havok
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:47 AM
:rocker2: K.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Well this is from the bangkok post and heres the link in case you need proof..one paper is lying and one is telling the truth

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/10Nov2003_sport36.html

Kournikova still hoping to pursue her tennis career

Admits frustration over back injury

Tor Chittinand

Russian star Anna Kournikova edged Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn in an entertaining exhibition match which was enjoyed by an appreciative crowd at the Dusit Resort yesterday.

After sharing the first two sets 2-6, 6-4, Kournikova, 22, won a special tie-break decider 10-6 in a match in which she displayed glimpses of her old form.

Tamarine took command in the first set when Kournikova had problems with her serve. But in the second set Kournikova settled down, found her rhythm and deservedly took the set 6-4.

To decide the winner, a special tie-break was held which saw Kournikova overcome the Thai star 10-6.

``I had a great time,'' said Kournikova after the match. ``I was quite pleased with the way I performed considering I haven't played much lately. It was wonderful to play again.''

She said she really enjoyed her visit to Thailand. ``I've known Tammy for a long time since we were both juniors and it was really good fun being here.''

Kournikova said she hadn't played since May this year because of a back injury and was a little rusty.

The Russian star admitted it was very frustrating to have the injury that has kept her out of the game for so long.

``I still love tennis and want to play, but I have a chronic back condition. As an athlete you must expect injuries and you have to learn how to deal with it, but it is very frustrating.''

She said she would not be fit enough for the Australian Open but hoped to be back in action some time after that and had not given up tennis as a career.

Kournikova said she was not considering a career as a Hollywood star. ``I'm still young and would like to play tennis for as long as I can,'' she said. ``Everything else is secondary to tennis,'' she said. ``I hope I can come back and play in Thailand next year.

Kournikova flies to India today for business and later heads for South Africa where she will play an exhibition match against Amanda Coetzer.
she said

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:07 AM
I didn't know Anna was playing Coetzer before Portland. Thanks for posting this.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I didn't know Anna was playing Coetzer before Portland. Thanks for posting this.
old news...go anna :)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:17 AM
BTW, about Anna's back, she has said before that it is well enough to play a match here and there. However, her back is currently NOT good enough to play multiple matches week in and week out, which is what she would have to do on tour. There is a big difference here.

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:20 AM
There's no quote from Anna about missing the AO. So the writer might have taken that first quarter quote and made an assumption.

PointBlank
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Anna's back lloked fine when I saw her in Memphis

tenn_ace
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:22 AM
You are right. I Loves to she her get whooped. Too bad Venus & Serena don't get a go at her. I'll really enjoy that. I believe Serena will win every point.

is that because they are retiring?(I'd enjoy THAT!) :devil: :lol: ... or injured all the time? (WHO REALLY CARES)...

Ballbuster
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:55 AM
is that because they are retiring?(I'd enjoy THAT!) :devil: :lol: ... or injured all the time? (WHO REALLY CARES)...

Boy, you got it bad! You are just the person, I go looking for when they win Slams....to bad you are no where to be found. Anyway, since misery loves company. I have none for you. Next year, I will be gloating and you will be weeping. :wavey:

ajayares
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM
old news...go anna :)

Since when is she playing in South Africa? Obviously a mistake in the article. She is playing Amanda, but that isn't in South Africa.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Anna's back lloked fine when I saw her in Memphis
did u expect her to be keeled over in pain? :rolleyes:

Dava
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Well its great to see that she won a match, or is at least playing.

jenny161185
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Come back soon Anna can t wait ta see ya play - I know you can come back to top tennis again :)