PDA

View Full Version : Since many here like new round robin format, pls cast your votes!

~SunFlower~
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM
I notice many like me really like the new round robin format? Which one do you prefer?

Lindsayfan
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:11 AM
i prefer the old system.it's absurd that a player can win the Master despite has lost one or 2 matches.and it's also absurd that some matches have no meaning cos one player is already qualified and the other is already out.

~SunFlower~
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:12 AM
I perfer 16 players with 4 round robins.

LindsayRulez
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:25 AM
I dunno, but I agree that it's crazy that a player can lose 3 matches and only win 2 in a week and get however much money they get for reaching the finals. Let's look at Mauresmo for example, she only had to beat one player (Elena Dementieva, 8 or so in the world) to reach the semifinals, and secure her name on a check worth 250,000 - if she beats Henin-Hardenne and loses to Clijsters, she will have won just 2 matches and earned something like 500,000....kinda crazy to me, but the whole money thing in sports is crazy anyway.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:25 AM
I'm a convert to this format.... even before Momo's run. :)

azza
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:27 AM
16 qualified players with 2 round robins (A & B)

sunnysideup
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:14 AM
I prefer the current one. very exciting and full of drama.;)

Randy H
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I don't like round robin, I prefer a knockout system. That is how every other WTA tournament is played, so why should this one be any different? I also enjoy having 16 players :)

sunnysideup
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:45 AM
it's called the Year-End Championships and it really has to be unique from the other tournaments for a change.;)

I congratulate the WTA officials for this round robin format!!!:worship:

fammmmedspin
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:48 AM
You can't have 16 players and a round-robin it would take forever if you televised each match.

If the threats to the top players are in the top 8 a round robin will work fine - if not they might do better to get some of the dangerous players in from the next 8. This one has been a bit like fair shares for all with everyone getting a win somewhere. Kim got through. Justine didn't. Amelie arrived at a final that repeats an earlier match she lost - so even if she wins it looks odd and no one understood why Amelie and not Chanda got to the SF anyway.

I think I prefered the old format - but thats because I don't mind if numbers 1-4 in the rankings go out to numbers 12-16 and TV fans will.

If the final merely repeats the earlier Amelie - Kim match it will be a little predictable. If Amelie wins another 500k for winning a match she lost in the same week it will also look a little odd.

sunnysideup
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:18 AM
this round robin format actually reveals the different facets of tennis like even though you've lost a match, you still have a chance in the next match and that tennis is a different game everytime you step on the court.;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:30 AM
I was a fan of the round robin format before the WTA switched, and I'm glad they finally did. The mens year end champs has been far superior to the womens until this point.

Beat
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:30 AM
i enjoy the YEC so much this year, some awesome matches! and yes, it also has to do with the format. so i'd like them to keep it this way.

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:43 AM
I thought the whole reason for the 8 round robin
was that alot of people said that they didn't care,
respect nor like the riff raff that's usually rated
below their favorite stars from 9-16??

ROTF- I guess it's a totally different story if
your favorites happened to fall out of the
top 10 or something ;)