PDA

View Full Version : Kim/Jen article

Mase
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Its alright Cappy, still not a bad way to end your year. And shes' now $250,000 dollars richer?!?! I respect your desire to fight it out injured anyways, we'll see you next year!

Clijsters overcomes injured Capriati at WTA Championships
By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
November 9, 2003

AP - Nov 8, 10:36 pm EST
More Photos
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kim Clijsters rallied from a set down and a 3-2 deficit in the third to beat an injured Jennifer Capriati 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 in Sunday's semifinals of the WTA Championships.

Clijsters won the final 10 games in advancing to Monday's night final for the second straight year. The winner receives $1 million.

She'll play the winner of the other semifinal between Amelie Mauresmo and Justine Henin-Hardenne, who'll succeed Clijsters as the world's top-ranked player when the year's final rankings are released Tuesday.

Capriati has been bothered by a right hip injury this week, and the pain traveled to her back.

``I probably shouldn't have played at all,'' she said. ``It's the last tournament of the year, it's the championships. You always think maybe there's a little bit of hope you could pull it out.''

Leading 3-2 in the second set, Capriati called for a trainer. She lay down on the court and received a massage. But she wasn't the same player after the three-minute medical time-out.

Clijsters immediately broke at love to even the set 3-3. Capriati didn't win another game.

ADVERTISEMENT
In pain and uncertain whether she would last three sets, Capriati sought medical help, although she second-guessed her decision.

``I broke up my momentum and gave her a little time to sit back and gather herself because she started playing better,'' Capriati said.

``I came out and I wasn't quite serving the same anymore. It's frustrating for me because one of the best aspects of my game is my fitness and moving, and when I don't have that 100 percent, mentally it takes a toll. It makes it really hard to fight.''

Capriati broke Clijsters twice in the first set, the second time at love, and then smashed a forehand in the corner to close it out, 6-4. Clijsters couldn't handle Capriati's serve early in the match, when the ball sliced wide off Capriati's racket.

They were on serve in the second when Capriati got broken by netting a backhand service return for a 2-2 tie. A backhand volley by Clijsters went wide to give Capriati a 3-2 lead, her last of the match.

Clijsters rolled through the third set, with only two games going to deuce.

Capriati earned $250,000. She finished the year with just one tournament win.

Updated on Sunday, Nov 9, 2003 6:06 pm EST

FanDeJen
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Yes, Jen did fine.

Next year she´ll come back stronger!!!!!

Go Jen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:46 PM
I love you Jen! Come back strong next year!

Trish101
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:54 PM
SO 1.3 Million for 2003? not too bad, shes now got over 8,250,000 in career prize money, not too shaby at all!

Come back strong in 2004!

JennyS
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Jen should definetly not be too upset about the match. She did her best to play through the injury. After her loss to Justine, it looked like she might not even be able to play against Anastasia, so she should be proud that she got to the semis.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:47 AM
But that´s been Jen´s story: semi´s, qrtr´s, she has only two finals this year and one of them via walk-over in the semi´s. Not good!

JennyS
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Jen made three finals this season.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:04 AM
ah, yeah....Stanford, New Haven and Miami. I forgot about Stanford.