PDA

View Full Version : Capriati takes injury timeout and takes herself out...

magassi
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:13 PM
I don't understand, unless she was in UNBELIEVABLE pain, but Jennifer just broke Kim, she was serving beautifully and totally dominating, Kim was unsure of her shots... and she takes an injury timeout. We all know Jenn is a player that thrives on being in a groove. She effectively stopped her own rhythm and hardly won a point on serve. Weird decision on her part...

jellybelly
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:18 PM
she try to pull a Justine but it backfire horribly :hysteric:

jimbo mack
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:19 PM
great year jen!!

take a good break, lose some weight, and come back firing on all cylinders in 2004!!!! :woohoo:

Mase
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:22 PM
great year jen!!

take a good break, lose some weight, and come back firing on all cylinders in 2004!!!! :woohoo:

Agreed, I dont know the actual stats, but, she made it to the semis or better of almost all the tourneys she played in after her horrible January She really didnt have that bad of a year! See ya next year Cappy :kiss:

harloo
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:26 PM

:lol:

magassi
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:46 PM

But Justine takes her injury timeouts when she's down, not when she's in a groove and up a break.

jellybelly
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:47 PM
But Justine takes her injury timeouts when she's down, not when she's in a groove and up a break.

tell that to Jenny :sobbing:

why Jenny why :bigcry:

SJW
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:50 PM
well done Jenny on this year :kiss:

come back next year and show us even more who the REAL Jennifer Capriati is :)

Jennifer's wife
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:52 PM
at least her timing proves her pain is genuine, she's no henin! :p

rest up 4 next year Jenny :kiss:

SJW
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:53 PM
at least her timing proves her pain is genuine, she's no henin! :p

rest up 4 next year Jenny :kiss:

ROTF

not you too?! :p

Jennifer's wife
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:54 PM
not me wot? :D

maryjane
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:55 PM

that's stupid!the justine happens when when ur down and call teh time out.she was dominating:that means she was feeling bad.

SJW
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:57 PM
not me wot? :D

talking about Ms Henin and her injury time outs ;)

JennyS
Nov 9th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Jen was probably just being careful so she wouldn't get injured worse. It seemed like at some point in the match, she stopped playing at 100% to avoid a serious injury.

maryjane
Nov 9th, 2003, 10:10 PM
nobody answered me.don't u thing kim and jen were too cold between them at the end???

maryjane
Nov 9th, 2003, 10:39 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP)—
Kim Clijsters of Belgium rallied from a set down to beat an injured Jennifer Capriati of the United States 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 Sunday in the semifinals of the WTA Championships.
Clijsters won the final 10 games to advance to Monday's final for the second straight year. The winner receives $1 million.

She'll play the winner of the other semifinal between Amelie Mauresmo of France and Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium, who'll succeed Clijsters as the world's top-ranked player when the year's final rankings are released Tuesday.

Capriati has been bothered by a right hip injury this week, and the pain traveled to her back.

"I probably shouldn't have played at all," she said. "It's the last tournament of the year, it's the championships. You always think maybe there's a little bit of hope you could pull it out."

Leading 3-2 in the second set, Capriati called for a trainer. She lay down on the court and received a massage. But she wasn't the same player after the three-minute medical time-out.

Clijsters immediately broke at love to even the set 3-3. Capriati didn't win another game.

In pain and uncertain whether she would last three sets, Capriati sought medical help, although she second-guessed her decision.

"I broke up my momentum and gave her a little time to sit back and gather herself because she started playing better," Capriati said.

"I came out and I wasn't quite serving the same anymore. It's frustrating for me because one of the best aspects of my game is my fitness and moving, and when I don't have that 100 percent, mentally it takes a toll. It makes it really hard to fight."

Capriati broke Clijsters twice in the first set, the second time at love, and then smashed a forehand in the corner to close it out, 6-4. Clijsters couldn't handle Capriati's serve early in the match, when the ball sliced wide off Capriati's racket.

They were on serve in the second when Capriati got broken by netting a backhand service return for a 2-2 tie. A backhand volley by Clijsters went wide to give Capriati a 3-2 lead, her last of the match.

Clijsters rolled through the third set, with only two games going to deuce.

Capriati earned $250,000. She finished the year with just one tournament win.