PDA

View Full Version : Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Manuela Maleeva: Which had the better career?

Doraemon
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Sorry to bring up another who-had-the-better-career topic but I really couldn't help it since I have been always wondering about these two's career comparion. Manuela reached the no.3 while Mary Joe reached the no.4. Mary Joe had three GS final appearances while Manuela had none. If we look at their GS results respectively, it's just no contest with Mary Joe winning hands down but Manuela had some memorable wins over players like Martina N. and Chris Evert. One of the many things they have in common in their careers is the fact that neither of them never beat Steffi Graf despite the number of occasions where they faced the German queen. I can't remember how many times they lost to her respetively but I'm sure it should be more than 15 for both of them.
I would give Mary Joe the slight edge for her better results at the GSs but don't forget Manuela won a lot more titles and stayed in the top 10 longer and I believe her titles were generally bigger than Mary Joe's.

ghosts
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Manuela won mixed doubles US Open :p

Manu :kiss: :hug: :hearts: :smooch:

Doraemon
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:50 PM
sts']Manuela won mixed doubles US Open :p

Manu :kiss: :hug: :hearts: :smooch:

Wow I didn't know she won a GS title though it's in mixed doubles..
That said, Mary Joe was a much more accomplished doubles player. She won at least one GS title in doubles with Lindsay if I'm not wrong..
Did she win another one with Patty Fendick (sp?)?
I think we better focus on their singles careers here cuz in doubles other players have effects on your play.

Nacho
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:02 PM
I think Mary Joe was more talented, but she underachieved. I'd still give the edge to her, after all she's been very close to win a GS

MAURO
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:05 PM
I d like both
but i think Mary Joe was better

MLF
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:19 PM
I preferred Manuela but Mary Joe had the more lucrative career. It's really Mary Joe's three grand slam singles finals appearences that swing it for her.

Manuela won 19 singles titles compared to Mary Joe's 7 but Mary Joe lead their head to head 5-2.

Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere (SUI) vs. Mary Joe Fernandez (USA)

1987-08-31 U.S. Open Hardcourt R32 Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere (SUI) 6-2 0-6 6-3
1990-08-27 U.S. Open Hardcourt QF Mary Joe Fernandez (USA) 6-2 2-6 6-1
1990-09-24 Tokyo Indoor Carpet SF Mary Joe Fernandez (USA) 4-6 7-5 6-4
1990-11-12 Virginia Slims Championships Indoor Carpet QF Mary Joe Fernandez (USA) 6-2 6-4
1992-07-27 The Olympics Clay QF Mary Joe Fernandez (USA) 5-7 6-1 6-0
1993-01-18 Australian Open Hardcourt R16 Mary Joe Fernandez (USA) 7-5 2-6 6-2
1993-08-16 Toronto Hardcourt QF Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere (SUI) 6-4 6-4

Mary Joe Fernandez (USA) leads 5:2

Doraemon
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Wow they had so many close matches..
I wish I had been old enough to watch them all..

jimbo mack
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:21 PM
i think fernandez had the better career- due to all the grandslam finals she reached

she was so close to winning the french ten and a half years ago!!!! but of course, steffi beat her :)

Doraemon
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:23 AM
I can't believe it's been more than 10 years since that FO final..and pre much 10 years since Manuela retired.. I was right in the stands in her final match!