PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the round robin format?

JennyS
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Have you enjoyed the round robin format being used for the WTA Championships?

croat123
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:48 PM
yes! it's great!

harloo
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:50 PM
It's too weird.

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Yes its great. You see the top players play more than one match and you get to see matchups you probably wouldnt see back to back to back.

The only thing missing were the williams sisters and lindsay.

silverwhite
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
It's good but would work better if there were more players in each group or more groups.

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
No, because some people in the semi-finals don't deserve to be there. And its very easy to rig a match so your friend could come into the semi-finals. A.K.A If Clijsters hadn't of lost that set Mauresmo and Rubin would have been tied. And don't even try to tell me Mauresmo was playing well.

Besides its also to complicated.

JennyS
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I really like the format too. It's cool because it's a nice change from the single elimination format used the rest of the year.

maya
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:01 PM
This format is much more exciting; and we get to see more tennis :)

A.K.A If Clijsters hadn't of lost that set Mauresmo and Rubin would have been tied.

Wrong. Amelie would still have better % (because she won in 2 sets and Chanda in 3).

canoe.
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:04 PM
No, because some people in the semi-finals don't deserve to be there. And its very easy to rig a match so your friend could come into the semi-finals. A.K.A If Clijsters hadn't of lost that set Mauresmo and Rubin would have been tied. And don't even try to tell me Mauresmo was playing well.

Besides its also to complicated.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: yes its all one big conspiracy!! I guess your favourite didn't win then

croat123
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:09 PM
it's chanda's own fault she didn't make it - she choked

Paneru
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Mixed emotions.

On one hand, it's nice that you can lose a match and come back and still have a chance to win the tournament.

On the other hand, it kind of takes the excitement away from having to win every match and every match is important because every match is essentially and elimination match.

justine&coria
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:12 PM
I think this format is great. With the WIlliams and LIndsay this tournament would have been perfect.
THere's just one rule that anny me a bit.
the fact that Chanda isn't qualified, and Mauresmo yes. Chanda and Mauresmo both lost twice. BUt Chanda beat Mauresmo, so for me Chanda should be the semi-finalist.
ANyway, Mauresmo'll bring Justine more points to win !!

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:13 PM
yes :)

matthias
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:18 PM
yes, it´s better

Seenus
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:24 PM
i like it

Julian
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Yes I like it! Much more interesting! Although I too wish they had more players. :)..the only bad thing is that players will have to play more matches..but hey can I be greedy once in a while? ;) :devil:

wongqks
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:10 PM
I think this format is great. With the WIlliams and LIndsay this tournament would have been perfect.
THere's just one rule that anny me a bit.
the fact that Chanda isn't qualified, and Mauresmo yes. Chanda and Mauresmo both lost twice. BUt Chanda beat Mauresmo, so for me Chanda should be the semi-finalist.
ANyway, Mauresmo'll bring Justine more points to win !!

I was thinking about that but in the end I find out it is not possible because

Amelie beat Elena, Elena beat Chanda, Chanda beat Amelie, so there are no clear winner out of the three, so the set different is the only one which can be used

Come-on-kim
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Yes, we've seen some great matches!

Venus Forever
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:43 PM
The only problem I have with the year end format is for the doubles.

I think they should make it 8 teams, straight knock-out form.

Lady
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Yes!!! So much more really close exiting matches!!
Everyday we got to see a 3 set match!!! :bounce:

croat123
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:21 PM
The only problem I have with the year end format is for the doubles.

I think they should make it 8 teams, straight knock-out form.
i agree, 4 is way to low a number

DEETHELICK
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Yep. Its been pretty good although Elena hasn't played well.

It all got pretty tense, as Momo, Chanda and Elena were all on 1-2. I mean for excitement and unpredictability, this group had it all.