PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams opens high-end design studio in Jupiter

tennisIlove09
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Venus Williams opens high-end design studio in Jupiter
By Michelle Sheldone correspondent
November 8, 2003

For Venus Williams, it's a perfect match.

She's moved her design studio, V Starr Interiors, to a 2,100-square-foot space in the Shoppes of Jupiter Creek in Jupiter.

"With the growth in the Treasure Coast area, Jupiter was a prime location to set up shop for V Starr," Williams said. "I'm excited for all the possibilities this area has to offer."

V Starr -- the 23-year-old tennis pro's full name is Venus Ebony Starr Williams -- began offering design services out of an office on Prosperity Farms Road in Palm Beach Gardens last fall. Moving to Jupiter allowed Williams to expand her studios more than fourfold.

Business at V Starr has begun to flourish.

According to director of design Bonnie Nathan, a 25-year licensed interior designer from Boca Raton and Syracuse, N.Y., the company currently serves eight high-end residential and commercial clients throughout the United States and has a near equal number of proposals out.

Gross sales, she said, are projected to approach $1 million by the end of the year.

"It was always intended that when we had enough business, it would justify our expansion," said Nathan. "We feel Jupiter is where the growth is, and that the area provides a good image and good exposure."

Williams studied fashion design at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale and has a certificate in interior decorating. She is in the second year of a four-year bachelor's degree program in interior design and, after earning the degree, will test for a license.

According to Nathan, Williams collaborates on projects by telephone and in person. The athlete shares a Palm Beach Gardens home with her sister, Serena, and four pet dogs. Both are on hiatus from the Women's Tennis Association Tour, recuperating from injuries.

"She's in the office almost daily when she's in town, and we've been lucky to have her involved with every project we've done," said Nathan. "She has a great sense of color, texture and style, and she knows the lines really well."

V Starr's South Florida area clients include prominent bankers, attorneys and athletes from Stuart to Pembroke Pines. Nelo Freijomel of Stuart-based Foster/Freijomel Architecture is working with the group on a Hutchinson Island project.

"I gave them free rein to suggest changes to the floor plan and have followed through with some of their suggestions to give the area a better flow," said Freijomel. "But the best thing about them is that they're nice people. They're kind, courteous, and they care about their clients' needs."

Some of Williams' personal design favorites -- Asian antiques, for instance, and shades of green -- are evident in V Starr's new quarters.

The studio includes designer space, business offices, a conference room and a resource library. To accommodate a variety of client tastes, the decor fuses contemporary furnishings with antique reproductions. Oil and acrylic paintings have been signed personally to Williams by emerging artists.

"Venus doesn't collect famous artists," said Nathan. "She likes to collect artists to make them famous."

South Florida artists have been invited to paint interior murals and faux finishes in the V Starr entry hall, said project designer Meighan Coger. The studio will also showcase furnishings clients can purchase.

V Starr joined the North Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce and has participated in such community events as Arti Gras. During a chamber showcase at PGA National earlier this month, membership director Andre Varona met Williams for the first time and spoke with her briefly.

"There are no other members I can think of off the top of my head that bring that kind of recognition to the chamber," said Varona, noting thatWilliams came across as "very nice and kind of shy." V Starr is planning a December ribbon cutting, after Williams wraps up the WTA championships in Los Angeles, Nathan said.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/living/article/0,1651,TCP_1043_2401039,00.html

xr6turbo
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:02 AM
:yeah: Venus :)

tennnisfannn
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Her life is full, she must be enjoying the best of both worlds. Talk about being grounded amd making the most of every opportunity, good for you Venus!

starr
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Does she have a business license? ;)

harloo
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Go Venus! Get that business together. 1 million in sales is good for the first year. Congrats! :D

Paneru
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Truly multi-talented!
Congrats Venus! :kiss:

vutt
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Well she is selling her name like Anna K. to me. Good for her bcoz lot of clients will be attracted by her name. Why not to put it into good use.:worship:

But dear fans aren't you little bit concerned about her tennis part of her life? I mean you got to agree that even she will be spend fraction of her time there itís still time she could use for polishing her tennis. Otherwise she will never bt. her sister again...

PS! I tried hard not to sound like typical Venus basher. If any Venus fan felt so after reading my post then Iím sorry. I did not mean that!

Paneru
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Well she is selling her name like Anna K. to me. Good for her bcoz lot of clients will be attracted by her name. Why not to put it into good use.:worship:

But dear fans aren't you little bit concerned about her tennis part of her life? I mean you got to agree that even she will be spend fraction of her time there it’s still time she could use for polishing her tennis. Otherwise she will never bt. her sister again...

PS! I tried hard not to sound like typical Venus basher. If any Venus fan felt so after reading my post then I’m sorry. I did not mean that!

I'm sure her name lures many of people and when they see what she has to offer, it's more because she is good and has good people around her.

I'm not at all worried about her tennis. She has and injury and she's recouping, plain and simple. Akin to her six month layoff at the end of 99' and the beginning of 00'. BTW, she is already back on the courts and has been for some time. So, I don't see what you're getting at.

Tennis is a huge part of her life but not the only part
of her life and she has let everyone know that.
She makes ample time for all of her endevours in life.

Rocketta
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM

No I think she is selling her education since she went to design school. No? It is very very very disrespectful to compare Anna K's T & A's marketing to Venus starting a business. From what I understand Anna K doesn't own a business she just works for other people.

But dear fans aren't you little bit concerned about her tennis part of her life? I mean you got to agree that even she will be spend fraction of her time there itís still time she could use for polishing her tennis. Otherwise she will never bt. her sister again...

They've always had full lives so no it doesn't worry me. At the beginning I think it did get in her way but I think she has found the balance now.

PS! I tried hard not to sound like typical Venus basher. If any Venus fan felt so after reading my post then Iím sorry. I did not mean that!

No you didn't sound like the typical basher. You would've had to dummy down your post a lot for that. :)