PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why Martina and Monica didn't play more as doubles?

Jarrett
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:50 AM
What happened?

Zummi
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:00 AM
They only played one tournament together (Tokyo 2000). And lost in the quarterfinals. I don't think they made a good team at all.

Chance
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:06 AM
which Martina?

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:31 AM
is this hingis?!

I know they played Adidas International (sydney) together in 2000 I think ... they we actually an okay doubles combination ... they beat the Williams sisters in 3 tight sets... amazing doubles match actually, esspecially for a 1st rnd of a TIER II event!!! :)

Hingis can play with anyone on the tour and still win a big amount of matches. Well she could play with anyone and still win titles in doubles.

faboozadoo15
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:00 AM
yea... they were actually a pretty good team. did martina ever beat the williams sisters with anyone else???

Jarrett
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Yeah Hingis. They played the Aus Open and Sydney and then that was it. All their matches were packed! They were a great draw together.

Martian Willow
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:21 AM
yea... they were actually a pretty good team. did martina ever beat the williams sisters with anyone else???

...with Lucic at Indian Wells and Miami '98... :)

Kart
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:35 PM
At the time there was some rumour on this board/Sanex (whichever was around then) that Melanie Molitor was seen having a massive go at Martina and Monica on the practice courts for something or other which might have contributed to it. I don't think there was any real proof though.

To be honest though I don't think it would have been a great idea to continue anyway - it was blatantly taking its physical toll on Monica in Oz that year. If JenCap hadn't had that dip after starting so well in the first set, their QF could have been over in two sets.

hingis-seles
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Martina and Monica had agreed since the beginning that there would be no commitment to doubles and that it was a very temporary partnership. So, when Martina lost the AO final in 2001, she said that it was "one match too many" and that she had been so tired that she had lost the final and that she would no longer play doubles because of that.

faboozadoo15
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:01 PM
good point kart-- yea monica was playing well enough to win the title nd the doubles kinda tired her out. too bad.

what did u mean about melanie molitor?? having a "go" at them?

CondiLicious
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:28 PM
good point kart-- yea monica was playing well enough to win the title nd the doubles kinda tired her out. too bad.

what did u mean about melanie molitor?? having a "go" at them?

She was jealous of Monica for having curly hair without the frizz and decided to take out her frustrations.

faboozadoo15
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:46 PM
ye... AND monica has cooler hats... i mean the jealousy must have eaten her alive...