PDA

View Full Version : Very sad period voor Henin and all her fans.

Fedcup
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:58 PM
I took my reply from another thread cause this topic deserves to be apart.
I think that all those things sad about Justine faking injuries is going to have an affect on her. I'm not feeling well with this all. She can not do anything right on this moment.

This is the thread concerning

Originally Posted by Knizzle
``I've never seen anybody recover as fast as she does,'' Capriati said. ``She plays pretty good for all these things that's bothering her.''
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What point of complaining for her?

Players are going to start blaming Henin now cause she takes an injury time out the match she played before???

Is Capriati a top player? When she start a match against whoever you should be prepared to play a healthy player whatever has been said before??? Btw if you turned it that way what must Myskina think now. Yesterday you couldn't play and on this moment it's still on serve 4-5???

Damned. Justine can not doing anything right those days.
People are going to start even blaming her cause she plays tennis

I think it's a very sad period for her and all her fans
This is going out of proportion. And I'm sure this is going to have an affect on Justine. Early signs -> look at the semi UO. She didn't dare to take injury time out. Btw Miss Capriati that was against you.

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Poor little Juju :sad:

katrientje
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:04 PM
It's indeed very hard to take that she doesn't get the respect she deserves from some people.
Even worse is that they have to come and talk about in every single thread about justine and spoil it every time...

I hope this is not how they act in real life, because they wouldn't have too many friends...

SJW
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:12 PM
indeed........very sad period for Henin and her fans

when she said she didn't wanna take an injury time out because of things that were said against her, i felt sooooooooo bad for her. i would LOVE to say she's brought it on herself, but i can't.

i've been a fan of the WTAs "most hated" for a long time, and sympathise with y'all. i may not like Justine, or some of her fans, but i can honestly say that sometimes i feel the need to defend her cuz of what the Williams sisters have been through.

when you're at the top, people are gonna hate. you can either deal with it, or let it hurt you.

so just choose

Fedcup
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:15 PM

when she said she didn't wanna take an injury time out because of things that were said against her, i felt sooooooooo bad for her. i would LOVE to say she's brought it on herself, but i can't.

i've been a fan of the WTAs "most hated" for a long time, and sympathise with y'all. i may not like Justine, or some of her fans, but i can honestly say that sometimes i feel the need to defend her cuz of what the Williams sisters have been through.

when you're at the top, people are gonna hate. you can either deal with it, or let it hurt you.

so just choose

Good post but it's very difficult to not let it hurt you cause people got limits

katrientje
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:16 PM

so just choose

Great post SJW :worship:

Astro Jetson
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Sad?!? She is number one, has two grandslams, still wants to improve .... Why the hell sad? This year has just been amazing. You shouldn't pay any attention to the bs.

*JR*
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Sweets becomes Juju fan? :eek: (Next thing you know, she'll be saying nice stuff about Angie)! :p

for-sure
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Great post SJW :worship:
Yes,

Part of the reason I removed my negative remark against Venus from my signature is because I began seeing how EASY but...also how hard it is to be at the top. Serena, Venus and Juju deserve a lot more respect than they are given.

Noone got where they are without working harder at TENNIS than anyone else in the world!

annagaile
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Sour grapes.

I feel sorry for Jen (whom I rather like), not Justine.

I have long since stopped caring about what antifans of Justine say. Justine has the kind of personality that will always attract flak --- she doesn't put up with BS because she doesn't dish it out herself.

SJW
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Good post but it's very difficult to not let it hurt you cause people got limits

true. words can hurt, regardless of what ANYONE says

i'm not a Justine fan, so don't know your situation. but as a fan of the Williams' i guess i can sympathise. when people dawg them for everything, it just gets stupid. so even though i've drank a bit tonight, i can honestly say that when it gets stupid in Justine's case, i'm like "just show them".

so when people are dissing the sisters left and right, i just look at the positives. in your case, Justine has won 2 slams, finished the year ranked #1 and won 6 other titles. i may not like it, but that's a fact.

just don't rub it in my face when i sober up :o;)

~ The Leopard ~
Juju will be fine.

katrientje
Sad?!? She is number one, has two grandslams, still wants to improve .... Why the hell sad? This year has just been amazing. You shouldn't pay any attention to the bs.

Ofcourse all that is amazing Deuce.
It's just all the negative media-attention, obsessed posters, comments from other players.
i know this is hard for Jusine (not the obsessive posters but the rest is...) and feel sad for her. She deserves waaaaayyy much respect that she gets now

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Her stunt at the French started the whole thing. If that had never happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Kim probably wouldn't have accused her at San Diego. The commentators wouldn't have harped on it so much during Wimbledon and the US Open. Whether it's right or not, as long as she keeps making these comebacks after being injured/sick people will question her credibility.

katrientje
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:30 PM
just don't rub it in my face when i sober up :o;)

You're pretty when you're drunk :kiss:

ns_Henin
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:36 PM
WE ARE THE HAPPIEST FANS THIS YEAR :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Justine you better dont think too much about the negative comments, Just play your best tennis, and keep winning :D
Good Luck JUSTINE!!!!!

Kart
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:36 PM
I think that all those things sad about Justine faking injuries is going to have an affect on her. I'm not feeling well with this all. She can not do anything right on this moment.

``I've never seen anybody recover as fast as she does,'' Capriati said. ``She plays pretty good for all these things that's bothering her.''
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players are going to start blaming Henin now cause she takes an injury time out the match she played before???

Is Capriati a top player? When she start a match against whoever you should be prepared to play a healthy player whatever has been said before??? Btw if you turned it that way what must Myskina think now. Yesterday you couldn't play and on this moment it's still on serve 4-5???

This is going out of proportion. And I'm sure this is going to have an affect on Justine. Early signs -> look at the semi UO. She didn't dare to take injury time out. Btw Miss Capriati that was against you.

You need to chill. Justine is pretty damn tough if her performance this year is anything to go by. Look at the way she dealt with all the accusations of cheating in Paris - she just moved on. She can handle a few comments from JenCap and loads more.

Not that I actually think JenCap's comments are a big deal I should add. The way things get blown out of proportion these days is laughable.

katrientje
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:40 PM
It's indeed very hard to take that she doesn't get the respect she deserves from some people.
Even worse is that they have to come and talk about in every single thread about justine and spoil it every time...

I hope this is not how they act in real life, because they wouldn't have too many friends...

I get a negative rep for this post from someone who has never posted one single message. Come and discuss with us Hokie :kiss:
Weird stuff...

Astro Jetson
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:41 PM
I get a negative rep for this post from someone who has never posted one single message. Come and discuss with us Hokie :kiss:
Weird stuff...

Me too !!!!! :lol:

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Hokie gave me bad rep too!! Must be an alias of someone else trying to spread bad rep.

katrientje
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Hokie gave me bad rep too!! Must be an alias of someone else trying to spread bad rep.

LOL

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Roland Garros was the thing that give her the bad reputation....plus then she and her coach publicly admitted that they did it on porpose. Doesnīt buy you many friends with things like that.

Greenout
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:51 PM
I don't think it's going to hamper Justine
She's very much like Leyton, and the Sisters in
that the more critics or doubters dislike
how successful they are, the more powerful and
confident they become.

I think some people enjoy the fight more when
they want to prove something or when it's
"me against the world".

Kart
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Roland Garros was the thing that give her the bad reputation....plus then she and her coach publicly admitted that they did it on porpose. Doesnīt buy you many friends with things like that.

Justine isn't exactly here to make friends though is she ? If anything she has that in common with your favourite player ... she means business which is something which I personally have come to respect about her this year.

Kart
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:55 PM
What I should have added was that she's going to receive her Sanex hero of the year award pretty soon I suspect so I don't think she'll be feeling too unpopular ...

jellybelly
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:56 PM
I think some people enjoy the fight more when
they want to prove something or when it's
"me against the world".

Justine already sound like that in pressconference :o

don't be sad but happy; what people will remember? that Serena best player of 2002 or that Jenny say she hypochondriac in 2001? :o

tennnisfannn
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:57 PM
I have been defending Justine for a while now coz as a williams fan Im so used to seeing such negative rep about the sisters and their fans. I have since accepted that this goes with the territory, once you start making some noise on the tour, it's like you signed a contract with the devil, all hell breaks loose.
Justine made a big mistake at the French (can't argue against that), but since then her entire reputation has been questioned. And it is not just the fans here, but the press, the commentators won't let it rest. I have always said she should have apologised and left it at that. In any case she had already won the match. When Serena made the faux par about the French, she said she was sorry and no one has made a big deal about it since. I don't for a moment believe the booing at the FO had anything to do with that since she had already played 5 other matches on centre court without drama.
I think it is deliberate on the part of some players to give Justine the neg. rep. Much as they are entitled to an opinion, these girls work together and have access to each other. They could tell each other off in the locker room. Was there any need for Kim, Jen and Myskina to say anything about Justine to the press? Jen esp has been crucified by the press in the past and she totally understands that the slightest remark if it can be seen as negative will definitely make the news.
Justine will have to tough it out over the next year. Good luck to her.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Justine isn't exactly here to make friends though is she ? If anything she has that in common with your favourite player ... she means business which is something which I personally have come to respect about her this year.

Yep...thatīs true. Kimīs miss congeniality....but has she got in the throphy case?!

But you have to keep a good conduct of gamesmanship and Justine hasnīt always done that.

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Roland Garros was the thing that give her the bad reputation....plus then she and her coach publicly admitted that they did it on porpose. Doesn't buy you many friends with things like that. In an ideal world, sportsmanship would rule, and NFL wide receivers who (invalidly) "trap" a forward pass (aka "catch it on the bounce") wouldn't jump up and pretend it was a real catch. Baseball catchers wouldn't subtly move to make a pitch look like it was in the strike zone. Basketball, hockey, soccer, golf, you name it and there's stuff that they try to get away with (usually to no avail). "We don't live in one". So the ump should have called together the linespersons behind each (who could both see Juju and Serena @ the same time) for a simple "timeline". Let's not ask players to do the officials job for them in sports until society EXPECTS honor in advertising and so many other areas where it doesn't, please.

starr
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:18 AM
I'm sure Justine's fans all hope for many more "sad" times such as this!

Justine doesn't have a personality that ingratiates herself with her fellow players. Some other number ones have had this problem as well.

I remember players sourly complaining about Graf always claiming to be injured, etc. And I'm sure we can all remember a lot of complaints about the top players that came after Graf. :)

It comes with the territory in the WTA. And JuJu's fans have got to be elated with the territory she is inhabiting right now.

decemberlove
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Juju will be fine.

oh, my sensible, big kittie. *purr

seriously thou, people need to stop being so sensitive. if they cant deal with what people are saying about their favorites, imagine them dealing with a real life situation. ITS JUST A SPORT.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:33 AM
In an ideal world, sportsmanship would rule, and NFL wide receivers who (invalidly) "trap" a forward pass (aka "catch it on the bounce") wouldn't jump up and pretend it was a real catch. Baseball catchers wouldn't subtly move to make a pitch look like it was in the strike zone. Basketball, hockey, soccer, golf, you name it and there's stuff that they try to get away with (usually to no avail). "We don't live in one". So the ump should have called together the linespersons behind each (who could both see Juju and Serena @ the same time) for a simple "timeline". Let's not ask players to do the officials job for them in sports until society EXPECTS honor in advertising and so many other areas where it doesn't, please.

Of course......but if the umpire asks you a direct question, I think it would be fair to answer it.

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Of course......but if the umpire asks you a direct question, I think it would be fair to answer it. Calls shouldn't be up to players to begin with. (That's why there are 7 linespersons on each side of the net, not counting @ the net and the ump). Plus, on a rule interpretation, the ump can consult the referee.

Astro Jetson
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Of course......but if the umpire asks you a direct question, I think it would be fair to answer it.

I shouldn't let myself get into this, but she wasn't asked. And she had every right to raise her hand. The crowd was still "debating" :rolleyes: the previous point.

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:55 AM
You need to chill. Justine is pretty damn tough if her performance this year is anything to go by. Look at the way she dealt with all the accusations of cheating in Paris - she just moved on. She can handle a few comments from JenCap and loads more.

Not that I actually think JenCap's comments are a big deal I should add. The way things get blown out of proportion these days is laughable.

what else can she do but move on? Look people dont like her because of her gamesmanship tactics as well as things she says and her napoleon complex. She acts like she's a handicap midget and each win she has is some monumental victory for little people with no muscles..... right...

no wonder her husband is a hater with her naoleonic highness issuing commands for water delivered at room temperature with a twist of lime...

Knizzle
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:04 AM
I shouldn't let myself get into this, but she wasn't asked. And she had every right to raise her hand. The crowd was still "debating" :rolleyes: the previous point.

Why was she motioning in Serena's direction and saying "just play"?? She did have a right to raise her hand, but she raised it well after Serena started to serve and then didn't admit to raising her hand when Serena told the chair umpire that Justine had her hand up. You can't tell me she didn't know what Serena was complaining about.

Knizzle
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:07 AM
what else can she do but move on? Look people dont like her because of her gamesmanship tactics as well as things she says and her napoleon complex. She acts like she's a handicap midget and each win she has is some monumental victory for little people with no muscles..... right...

no wonder her husband is a hater with her naoleonic highness issuing commands for water delivered at room temperature with a twist of lime...

I agree. She was the one who brought her own character and credibility into question. Now some of the other players and the media are running away with it.

Instant
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Why was she motioning in Serena's direction and saying "just play"?? She did have a right to raise her hand, but she raised it well after Serena started to serve and then didn't admit to raising her hand when Serena told the chair umpire that Justine had her hand up. You can't tell me she didn't know what Serena was complaining about.

:yawn: :yawn: :zzz: :zzz:

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Why should Justine fans be sad?

I bet Justine doesn't give a damn about any of this being said...

All that matters is who wins the big points to win the matches... and whatever excuse you use against Justine... you can't take away that she does that.

Knizzle
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:11 AM
:yawn: :yawn: :zzz: :zzz:

Narcolepsy???

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Calls shouldn't be up to players to begin with. (That's why there are 7 linespersons on each side of the net, not counting @ the net and the ump). Plus, on a rule interpretation, the ump can consult the referee.

Of course....but when she and her coach say that they did it on PORPOSE just because it was Serena...then it ainīt aight anymore!

Knizzle
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Of course....but when she and her coach say that they did it on PORPOSE just because it was Serena...then it ainīt aight anymore!

You have to remember that everyone thinks Serena is "big bad Serena Williams", so it was okay for Justine to do what she did as long as it was against Serena.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:42 AM
I guess so....but their gamesmanship on court is unquestionable.

starr
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Serena is exactly Miss Innocent in this regard either.

I see growling and glaring and screaming as gamesmanship as well. Also there's the deal when she screams extra loud and in reality does not hit the ball as hard as her grunted scream would seem to indicate.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Serena is exactly Miss Innocent in this regard either.

I see growling and glaring and screaming as gamesmanship as well. Also there's the deal when she screams extra loud and in reality does not hit the ball as hard as her grunted scream would seem to indicate.

Is that the best you could do?! PATHETIC!

Ballbuster
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Serena is exactly Miss in this regard either.

What does that has to do with OUTRIGHT CHEATING!!!!!

Dunce.

TennisHack
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Yes, allow me to shed a tear for the fans of the #1 player in the world and current holder of 2 Grand Slams, 4 Tier I's and 2 Tier II's. It must be sooo tough to support someone who has firmly ensconced herself in the top echelons of the game.

Get over the fact that not everyone adores her. Not everyone likes every player and that's the spice of life, I suppose.

wateva
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:42 AM
i don't know... i've never responded to all those hate threads. i was a fan of justine and even supported her last year when she accused davenport of faking. but after that match, she seemed to have learn how to use gamesmanship to win important matches. it's quite obvious that people will criticize because those matches where she took injury timeouts are against top players. you don't see her taking timeout against players like safina in us open etc. i'm kind of disappointed with her that she's changed into another person. tenniswise, she's a great player. but as for her character... i don't know... nevertheless, she had a great season. that's all i can say.

V&SGotItGoingOn
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:50 AM
I tend to not say much about Justine and her injuries, mainly because I hated it when people would say that Venus and Serena's matches were fixed, or that Serena faked injuries against Capriati, or other things like that. As for the hand thing, well that made me dislike Justine a lot more, but I don't hold it against her now, it's in the past, whatever. I think that many top players have to face criticism and the annoying media, so I don't necessarily feel bad for Justine more than anyone else at the top. Plus as everyone has said, she did win two slams and other tournaments, as well as become number one.

irma
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:48 AM

welcome in the real world. do you think Justine is the first number 1 who is disliked.
if Justine (and fans) don't realize that the people who critize her only do because they are damn jealous then I hope you see the light soon;)
I can say this. I am a fan of a player who has still many haters 4 years after retirement
guess why :lol:

fammmmedspin
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:01 AM
How does Jennifer think Justine managed to get her blood pressure and heart rate to pretend to be up? It isn't medically possible to do that unless you take medication.
And how wise is it for Jennifer to invite other people to note that she outrun one of the very fastest runners on the tour today when she was said to be injured for both of her last 2 matches? They really do need to start thinking before they answer questions at interviews.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Yep and if thereīs someone who knows about a fav being hated it is Irma.

Fingon
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:20 AM

FedCup,

first of all, I don't think this will affect Justine at all, if anything, since all this accusations starting to flow, she's done better.

Steffi Graf said once that you can't really be friend with your opponents (I don't know the exact quote) but I think she was asked why she wasn't friends with other top player and she said something that her job was to win tennis matches, not to make friends.

I don't think that Justine really cares for what people like Kim or Capriati say, as long as the people she cares about are with her (her husband and Carlos Rodriguez) she will be ok. Justine is mature enough to know you can't spend your life trying to please others, she has to live her life and her career by herself.

do you think a girl that lost her mother at 12 and that had to support her family being a teenager would care for what a jealous opponent says? do you think she will let that affect her? do you think Justine gives a shit for these people's opinion?
While people keep telling Kim how nice and likeable she is, Justine hold the GS trophies.

Remember Venus and Serena are not very liked either, there is a bunch of good feelings for Serena atm just because she isn't playing but just wait until she is back winning again. Do you think Serena gives a rat ass?

Regarding you, well, I can't tell you how you should feel, but I can tell you what I think and how I feel.

I am a fan of tennis, and Justine IMO plays the most beautiful game. I enjoy watching her and I enjoy her victories.

I won't let some jerks on an internet message board, people that I have never met, and will never meet to spoil that. I enjoyed when Justine lifted the US Open or the RG trophy. I enjoyed her matches, if poster XX says she is a cheater or whatever, what difference does it make? I still enjoyed her matches and I still enjoyed the moment.

I come here because I like to discuss, and to get some info but this is NOT tennis. If tennis stopped being played, I certainly wouldn't come to post here again, if WTA world and all other tennis message board ceased to exist, I would still be enjoying watching tennis and Justine. Do you see the difference?

Fingon
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:21 AM
How does Jennifer think Justine managed to get her blood pressure and heart rate to pretend to be up? It isn't medically possible to do that unless you take medication.
And how wise is it for Jennifer to invite other people to note that she outrun one of the very fastest runners on the tour today when she was said to be injured for both of her last 2 matches? They really do need to start thinking before they answer questions at interviews.

Jenn really needs to start thinking, period.

When she's done that, then can use her new discovered ability to figure out what to say and what not to say.

Kart
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:09 AM

:lol:

Cybelle you are truly the most hilarious poster on this board :worship:.

I was having a sympathy moment for Justine. After all, I can only imagine it's hard to wake up every day and realise you're in the land of the giants ;).

I still think that her blanket 'it didn't happen' attitude after the hand incident was the best method of handling it though. Any early overt admission of guilt at the time and the press would have crucified her.

maryjane
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Her stunt at the French started the whole thing. If that had never happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Kim probably wouldn't have accused her at San Diego. The commentators wouldn't have harped on it so much during Wimbledon and the US Open. Whether it's right or not, as long as she keeps making these comebacks after being injured/sick people will question her credibility.

that's right.I don't like to think bad against juju cuz she has the best tennis in the circuit and it's a pleasure to see her game but after all these episodes,voluntary or not,I'e my doubts,actually I'm thinking more bad than good of her cuz I have never liked this joke as the injury times:i rember hingis doing it or sometimes serena vs jennifer some years ago...I got really angry!it's not fair.and this year,it hasn't happen once but many times and all of them in close matches where at the end juju turned out to win.I accept once,twice...at the third I've my doubts,at the fourth I don't believe in her longer.
Then,the fact that at the beginning of a tournment she always has some kind of illness...OMG,but is she an hospital?!?how is it possible?but however she always turns out to win...I think it's fair that at this point the other players r doubtfull,come on!!!
As u say,in Paris the whole thing started.I remember before the beginning of the match.the italian journalists were for juju and they hoped in her cuz of her terrific tennis and for the hope she represents for who has not a great body.But when they saw her stunts,the french audience they say it was not right.they disliked it and were for serena.
this is an example of the way juju can lose the esteem of many acting like that.

Frank Riley
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Justine still Rulz the world,

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JUSTINE KICK THE WORLDS BUTT... :worship:

maryjane
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:45 AM
frank put yr attention on jelena.it's better!!!:)

silverwhite
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I think Justine deserves everything she has achieved this year. However, I agree with Knizzle, in that the RG semi-final brought her integrity into question.

There was that match against Davenport in the AO. Without that AO match, and her previous claim that Davenport had faked injury, I don't think people would have talked about her gamesmanship. 3 incidents were enough to get people talking, especially since that RG semi-final was an important match for both players. Whether that point was important or not is another question. (I personally think that it would have been much easier for Serena to close out that game if she had gone up 40-0 instead of 30-15)

Before this year, I don't think she had taken as many injury timeouts as she has this year. Maybe her improved game caused more injuries, but whatever the reason, the sudden increase in the number of injury timeouts she took this year definitely contributed to the controversy.

Furthermore, like Knizzle mentioned, she should have appologised after the match. Or she could have admitted to the umpire that she raised her hand, since she claimed (later) that that point wasn't important anyway.

I admire Justine's fighting spirit, but you have to admit that she herself, however little, contributed to the controversy. There are somethings that she could not have changed (eg. when she is injured and has to take timeouts) but if she had done certain things differently (eg. not accusing Davenport, being more honest at RG), we wouldn't be talking about her integrity. But it's great that she now realises how big of an impact her actions have on her reputation.

Frank Riley
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM
The truth is I talked to Justine in 2002 at the Bank of the West Classic, we talked while she was stretching out in front of the stadium for about 30 min, I talked to her about Belgium as I was there up to about 16 years old before I came back to the USA. I lived in one of the towns she lived in as a child (Mons). I have to say she was a very nice and shy person, I would have to say very sweet and I admire her a lot. She did not mind talking at all. I always feel good when she wins. :worship:

Allez Joosteen
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Very sad period voor Henin and all her fans.

I reckon it's a sad period voor Henin fans who worry about what others think of our favourite. Everything has gone extremely well voor Justine since winning Roland Garros. All the whinging from other players and sports writers is what you typically will expect voor someone who is currently #1 in the world and Justine knows that. She knows voor certain that all this negativity will continue as long as she is the best player in the world cos it happened to Steffi, Monica, Arantxa and the Williams sisters and many others.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:03 PM
I think voor suurre that she'll be just fine. She's got the right people around her, and she's got all the guts in the world.

Experimentee
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Shes won two Grand Slams, the year end #1 ranking, playing the best tennis of her life and yet its a very sad period for her just bc of some stupid comments?
Get some perspective :rolleyes:

Astro Jetson
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:45 PM
The truth is I talked to Justine in 2002 at the Bank of the West Classic, we talked while she was stretching out in front of the stadium for about 30 min, I talked to her about Belgium as I was there up to about 16 years old before I came back to the USA. I lived in one of the towns she lived in as a child (Mons). I have to say she was a very nice and shy person, I would have to say very sweet and I admire her a lot. She did not mind talking at all. I always feel good when she wins. :worship:

Nice story. :)

lee station
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM
FedCup,

first of all, I don't think this will affect Justine at all, if anything, since all this accusations starting to flow, she's done better.

Steffi Graf said once that you can't really be friend with your opponents (I don't know the exact quote) but I think she was asked why she wasn't friends with other top player and she said something that her job was to win tennis matches, not to make friends.

I don't think that Justine really cares for what people like Kim or Capriati say, as long as the people she cares about are with her (her husband and Carlos Rodriguez) she will be ok. Justine is mature enough to know you can't spend your life trying to please others, she has to live her life and her career by herself.

do you think a girl that lost her mother at 12 and that had to support her family being a teenager would care for what a jealous opponent says? do you think she will let that affect her? do you think Justine gives a shit for these people's opinion?
While people keep telling Kim how nice and likeable she is, Justine hold the GS trophies.

Remember Venus and Serena are not very liked either, there is a bunch of good feelings for Serena atm just because she isn't playing but just wait until she is back winning again. Do you think Serena gives a rat ass?

Regarding you, well, I can't tell you how you should feel, but I can tell you what I think and how I feel.

I am a fan of tennis, and Justine IMO plays the most beautiful game. I enjoy watching her and I enjoy her victories.

I won't let some jerks on an internet message board, people that I have never met, and will never meet to spoil that. I enjoyed when Justine lifted the US Open or the RG trophy. I enjoyed her matches, if poster XX says she is a cheater or whatever, what difference does it make? I still enjoyed her matches and I still enjoyed the moment.

I come here because I like to discuss, and to get some info but this is NOT tennis. If tennis stopped being played, I certainly wouldn't come to post here again, if WTA world and all other tennis message board ceased to exist, I would still be enjoying watching tennis and Justine. Do you see the difference?I agree with the thought that a player's job is to win matches, not to make a lot of friends. It's tough, but it's the truth.

Allez-H
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Justine doesn't care what other persons think about her.She has had the best year of her carreer and she still just 21.She will comeback next year even stronger and I hope all of you haters can enjoy that. :devil:

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Of course....but when she and her coach say that they did it on PURPOSE just because it was Serena...then it ainīt aight anymore! ASWB Carlos (who's a great technical coach, BTW) said it and Juju sort of went along afterwards; perhaps to avoid tension with him B4 the final? And perchance Carlos DID (wrongly) tell Juju B4 the match that she should take advantage of ANY opportunity for an edge against the seemingly invincible winner of the last 4 Slams who had offended many Francophones with the French accent bit; and was from a country FRA, GER, and the Benelux bitterly resented re. the recent basically bilateral US-British invasion of Iraq ova the clear refusal of the Security Council to give the go-ahead.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Great year by Justine.....only thing that she did wrong this year imo was at the French Open against Serena. She said so herself and her coach said that too...NOT good to those stuff!

Seenus
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Justine has had a great year because of injuries, cheating and questionable behaviour. She is not good for tennis.

maryjane
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Justine doesn't care what other persons think about her.She has had the best year of her carreer

I'm so done with her behaviour that i really hope this has been her best year of her career but also the last one.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:31 PM
You should do everything to win....but gamesmanship isnīt a good thing. Never was and never will be. And what she did against serena was gamesmanship and Serena will never forget that.

Greenout
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Hingis, Pierce, and Anna use to abuse the
"bathroom" time out...so what's the difference?

I've seen Jen, Lindsay, the Sisters etc...take injury
time outs against players...ok, so perhaps it was
agains lesser opponents out of the top 20. So, is
this it? Is this the problem? So, is this what the
problem really is? It's ok if they do it to others;
but nobody can dare pull a "momentum" switcher
on them? lol.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Hingis, Pierce, and Anna use to abuse the
"bathroom" time out...so what's the difference?

I've seen Jen, Lindsay, the Sisters etc...take injury
time outs against players...ok, so perhaps it was
agains lesser opponents out of the top 20. So, is
this it? Is this the problem? So, is this what the
problem really is? It's ok if they do it to others;
but nobody can dare pull a "momentum" switcher
on them? lol.

Of course not....but if you raise hand and say you werenīt ready, you have to stand up to it. Justine knew all day long that Serenaīs second serve was easier to attack and so she denied her a first serve. The more because there is whole difference between being 4-2 40-0 down or being 4-2 30-15 down. I guess it worked for her..

Next time itīs gonna be different. Once you play with fire....

shap_half
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:38 PM
It was really only Carlos who made the comments. And I think it was only fitting that Justine doesn't say anything that doesn't coincide with what Carlos said. I mean he is her coach. The right thing to do is to support him as he has supported her.

But anyway, I really don't see the point in arguing that but I just wanted to point that out.

Haters, commentators, and the media can all say whatever they want to say, but at the end of the day it's really the tennis that will speak for itself. 10 years from now when people look back to 2003 I think the fact that a short Belgian with a handed backhand named Justine Henin-Hardenne defeated Serena Williams and won 2 GS will be what is remembered. Top players are not the most likable players. Atleast the ones who really make a dent in Tennis history are the ones who are not as popular (and by that I mean well liked). You have people like Hingis, Venus, Serena, Steffi, etc. They are women who have been targeted for whatever reason yet when you look at the past 20 years you really see these four along with Monica as the headliners of women's tennis. It's the drive of proving people wrong - that is an amazing motivator. Look at Miss Kimmie who everyone loves and adores, the best she has done is win the YEC. I'm not saying that that is nothing but count the GS.

I hope that Justine joins them and continue to attain massive success irregardless of how many people being to dislike her.

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:51 PM
s_h, EXCELLENT! You should also note that in her prime, one of unarguably the best 5 ever, Martina I, would look @ Chris as "the enemy". Hell, even Serena did that re. Venus (only on the court ;)) during her drive to the top in '02. (You've gotta play like A bitch to make a rival who had the edge B4 YOUR bitch)! :D

SJW
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:07 PM
but seriously......she's had one brilliant year

if she's the player that everyone thinks she is, y'all are gonna have to develop thicker skin :o

Steffi, Hingis, Venus and Serena have all had more than one good year. and um, i didn't collapse under the hate after only 11 months ;)

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:12 PM
It was really only Carlos who made the comments. And I think it was only fitting that Justine doesn't say anything that doesn't coincide with what Carlos said. I mean he is her coach. The right thing to do is to support him as he has supported her.

But anyway, I really don't see the point in arguing that but I just wanted to point that out.

Haters, commentators, and the media can all say whatever they want to say, but at the end of the day it's really the tennis that will speak for itself. 10 years from now when people look back to 2003 I think the fact that a short Belgian with a handed backhand named Justine Henin-Hardenne defeated Serena Williams and won 2 GS will be what is remembered. Top players are not the most likable players. Atleast the ones who really make a dent in Tennis history are the ones who are not as popular (and by that I mean well liked). You have people like Hingis, Venus, Serena, Steffi, etc. They are women who have been targeted for whatever reason yet when you look at the past 20 years you really see these four along with Monica as the headliners of women's tennis. It's the drive of proving people wrong - that is an amazing motivator. Look at Miss Kimmie who everyone loves and adores, the best she has done is win the YEC. I'm not saying that that is nothing but count the GS.

I hope that Justine joins them and continue to attain massive success irregardless of how many people being to dislike her.

Itīs aight...but if it would have been Serena who did the hand thing, instead of Justine and would have won the match....me thinks you wouldnīt be thinking along the same line.