PDA

View Full Version : A tennis documentary, could it be up for Oscar?

Sam L
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Hollywood Premiere of SHE GOT GAME on November 8th
November 06, 2003

Finalist in Competition at prestigious AFI Los Angeles International Film Festival

“A MUST SEE” – Jon Wertheim, Sports Illustrated

HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - What is the price of a dream? Award-winning documentary filmmakers Abbey Jack Neidik & Bobbi Jo Krals spent three years looking for an answer while making the feature-length documentary SHE GOT GAME: Behind-the-Scenes of the Women’s Tennis Tour. The award-winning film makes its HOLLYWOOD PREMIERE on SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 8 at 8:30pm as a finalist in competition at the prestigious AFI LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL -- “Touching and revealing, SHE GOT GAME brilliantly captures the perils and joys of women's tennis and of pursuing a dream.” – AFI FEST 2003.

SHE GOT GAME`s Hollywood premiere coincides with the Bank of America WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche at Staples Center in Los Angeles, and several pro tennis players are expected to attend the screening and participate in a Q&A session with the filmmakers after the film. The screening is open to the public (first come, first serve) and will take place at the renowned ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas, located at 6360 W. Sunset Blvd. (www.arclightcinemas.com).

Filmed in the United States, Canada, England, Germany, Russia, and Australia, SHE GOT GAME contrasts the intriguing personal stories of tennis superstars like Americans Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati & Chanda Rubin, Switzerland’s Martina Hingis, and Russian Anna Kournikova with the struggles of journeyman players like Canada’s Sonya Jeyaseelan, whose strict Indian father quit his job when she was six years-old to mold her into a tennis star.

With over $50 million in annual prize money, tennis is the highest paid women’s sport in the world. But with over 1,000 young women competing on the WTA Tour, only a gifted few attain fame and fortune. Superstar tennis moms Oracene Williams and Denise Capriati share the joys and challenges their families faced raising champions in the spotlight, and we meet up with tennis legends Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova, and television sports commentators Bud Collins and Mary Carillo, whose wisdom and ironic humor help us understand what the insular world of women’s pro tennis is really like.

Part road trip, part human drama, SHE GOT GAME weaves these personal stories together to reveal a universal human portrait of sacrifice and perseverance in a cat-eat-cat world where winning is everything. Directed by Bobbi Jo Krals & Abbey Jack Neidik. Produced by Abbey Jack Neidik, Bobbi Jo Krals, Irene Angelico. Editor: Howard Goldberg. Writers: Howard Goldberg, Bobbi Jo Krals, Abbey Neidik. Camera: Abbey Jack Neidik & Bobbi Jo Krals. Sound: Edward Krupa. Narrator: Catherine Kidd. Music: Daniel A. Vermette and Corey Hart.

SHE GOT GAME was produced by DLI Productions & Esperanto Productions, in association with LIFE NETWORK; with the collaboration of Radio-Canada Sports and TFO; with the participation of the: Canadian Television Fund – License Fee Program, Telefilm Canada: Equity Investment Program (EIP), Québec & Canada Film and TV Tax Credits.

Source: http://www.wtatour.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=212904

Tell me what you think guys.

ToeTag
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Wouldn't it get two chances to be nominated? In the documentary and foreign film category...I hope it gets nominated.

Sam L
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Wouldn't it get two chances to be nominated? In the documentary and foreign film category...I hope it gets nominated.
NO CHANCE in foreign film. For one, to be a foreign film you need to be not in English (means subtitles).

For another, the list of foreign entries up for Oscar consideration (one from each country) is already out this year and this didn't make the list.

But Best Documentary is REAL chance. I hope it gets in. Oh this is going to be sooo exciting! :D

Hurley
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Wasn't this on TV first? If so...it's not eligible.

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Wasn't this on TV first? If so...it's not eligible. Does the Tennis Channel count as having been on TV? :p

decemberlove
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:27 AM
there are some real beautiful documentaries out there. i cant see a tennis one being nominated.

kiwifan
May 15th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I just saw "She Got Game" (missed the first 10 minutes) its on again at midnight here in LA on channel 207 "E-DRw" (on Comcast Digital Cable - I have no idea what channel it is in English :p)

It was interesting. Reality on the tour is for the most part as boring as playing on the tennis team in High School...only with more pressure and less comraderie.

I don't know exactly why but the part that made me most sad was at the YEC's in Germany the press was only asking questions about Huber's retirement and Steffi's new baby and when they asked J Cap about Steffi's baby she was quite annoyed and commented that she "didn't know Steffi that well" and then justifiably asked, "Are you going to ask any questions about me?"

Now that is old news that J Cap and Steffi (or anyone and Steffi for that matter) weren't very close; but what got me was after going on and on with Jeyaseelan who's trying to make it to the J Cap/Steffi level...

...it just seems sad...

...to achieve the top levels in your sport dedicate your whole friggin' childhood to it...

...and there is just "no love"...

...in most sports, even a Dallas Cowboy and a Washington Redskin can be friends, have a beer, laugh about the old days when its all over. Heck even Borg and Mac could join Vitus at Studio 54 back in the day. Supposedly Chris E and Nav used to go man chasing together back in the 70s. :tape:

Most players didn't really give a shit that Huber was retiring and didn't give a shit about Steffi's baby's name. One guy was on camera commenting along those lines that sometimes a top 50 player will retire and he won't even notice it even after spending so many years running into them.

WTA is definitely a place where you are best getting all you can out of it ($$$, fame, free clothes, whatever) and then looking for friends and a life elsewhere.

Once again Richard Williams, crazy like a fox. :angel:

kiwifan
May 16th, 2005, 04:42 AM
*bump* attention tennis geeks...

"She Got Game" is on again at midnight here in LA on channel 207 "E-DRw" (on Comcast Digital Cable)

RVD
May 16th, 2005, 05:50 AM
I wonder if this is in rental stores yet? :bounce:

Sam L
May 16th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Good grief! This thread is a blast from the past.

I'm :scared: