PDA

View Full Version : WTA YEC Should Be Played In A Smaller Arena

lizchris
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:47 PM
It is like Chanda and Elena are playing in a mosoleum because there are hardly any people there (though there were 8,000 people at the Sstaples Center last night). Does anyone know of a smaller venue (preferrablly on the East Coast) that could host the WTA YEC?

croat123
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:32 PM
it was best in madison square gardens

or they could have it outdoors at the nasdaq because more people in florida are interested in tennis than in the rest of the us

M7910
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:32 PM
The year end should be played in Arizona and played outdoors. That is where tennis is ment to be played.The weather is perfect in Arizona and plenty of places to play. They should give it some thought,they don't call it the valley of the sun, for nothing. Think About It.

JonBcn
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:59 PM
They should play in Filderstadt. You can get almost 100 people in there.

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM
The ATP started their YEC last night. They had 7,500 spectators, less than the final audience at the YEC, but it was still a sellout.

moon
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I think Staples, holds about $20,000 people.
I wonder why they got such a big venue?
If they're gonna go big, they need to do a lot more
promotion.
They're already promoting the 2004 YEC for the men!
When it comes to marketing, ATP has got WTA beat hands down. :(

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I think Staples, holds about $20,000 people.
I wonder why they got such a big venue?
If they're gonna go big, they need to do a lot more
promotion.
They're already promoting the 2004 YEC for the men!
When it comes to marketing, ATP has got WTA beat hands down. :(

That's because they already had a scuessful tournament before the men hit the court. When you can see out weeks before the final eight are decided, that is pretty good, IMO.

Justinefan
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I hate to admit it, but the lack of the williams sisters being there was a factor in attendance i think.. I mean had Jen made the finals, i think more people would have been at the final. Stupid LAers.. don't they know that they have an inexpensive CHAMPIONSHIP right in their backyard.. If i lived there i'd be there every night for 25 bucks a ticket!

wongqks
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:45 PM
exactly, ATP has a 7500 arena and the atmosphere is great, WTA has almost 10,000 attendance and it is half empty LOL

E. Blackadder
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:46 PM
I hate to admit it, but the lack of the williams sisters being there was a factor in attendance i think.. I mean had Jen made the finals, i think more people would have been at the final. Stupid LAers.. don't they know that they have an inexpensive CHAMPIONSHIP right in their backyard.. If i lived there i'd be there every night for 25 bucks a ticket!

Williamses were there last year and attendece was about the same, if it wasn't less

Linnie
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:48 PM
...they could have it outdoors at the nasdaq because more people in florida are interested in tennis than in the rest of the usGreat idea! :) ;)

canoe.
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:10 PM
:) I'd prefer that it stayed indoors,but I do agree that a smaller venue would make far more sense.Something in the range of 8000-12,000 would be good.Who's bright idea was it to hold it in a 20,000 seat place anyway?Three out of the four slams don't have 20,000 seat arena's.

disposablehero
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:20 PM
It's all about the idiot box. If the WTA was on TV every week, you could sell out the Astrodome for the YEC.