PDA

View Full Version : Is Amy Frazier retiring at the end of the year ?

ChrisGermany
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:18 PM
She failed to do well in the challenger this week and in recent years she reduced her schedule, especially regarding events outside the US.

She might be tired of travelling but willing to give most of the girls a good fight on hardcourts.

Any news if she´s giving it another try 2004 ?

ChrisGermany
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:20 PM
By the way, it kind of started after the tragedy of September 11th, that Amy refused to go to Asia or Europe afterwards. Events that would have made her play about 20-22 tournaments a year. Now she only plays 14 on the tour and adds 2-3 challengers.

ghosts
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:30 PM
hope no :sad:

Sammm
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM
I hope she doesn't but I think she might.
She says her favourite city is Tokyo, but didn't bother to go to the Japan open this year. :rolleyes:

ChrisGermany
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Frazier was hard to play for a couple of former top20 players. Times change. I think a player of her style though can affaord to stay on the tour as long as the WTA has enough tier II/IIIs in the US and she gets direct entry for that. There´s nothing to be ashamed of having such a good career of solid top30 tennis and then limiting herself to a schedule of about 12-16 events and just play for personal enjoyment of the game.

Venus Forever
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM
I doubt it.

Who would play a challenger in their last year on tour at the end of the season??

I'd think she'd rather go out by playing a Tour level tournament.

~KKman~
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM
An Interview with Amy Frazier

It hasn't been a good year for Amy Frazier, the best tennis player ever to come out of Michigan. Now 31 and a 15-year veteran of the tour, her ranking is at 61, and her match record after 16 events is 23-15. Now 23-16: she lost today to upcoming Nadia Petrova 6-4 6-0. But she was in the top 20 for quite a few years of her career, and is known for her hard-hitting style. At Eastbourne this year, when she took Capriati to three sets, Capriati came in afterwards knowing she'd had a near escape and said "She was making insane shots."

If you don't remember Frazier, she's the pasty-white player who, in her visor and short-sleeved shirt, looks like a backroom poker player. Maybe that's appropriate: she wants to be a math teacher when she stops playing. It's an unusual aspiration for a tennis player, particularly when you consider that Frazier has been firmly committed to the idea throughout her tennis career, which has so far netted her $2.8 million in career earnings (minus coaching fees, travel expenses, agents' fees, and taxes, of course). It's even odder when you realize that she left high school in her senior year to turn pro, so this passionate desire is coupled with the certain knowledge that she will have to go back to finish school and then do four years of college and whatever other training is needed.

"I know I will have to work hard," she says, adding that "although I love math I'm not a natural."

"Are you a natural athlete?" I ask. She shakes her head. "No." So we're talking about a player who has had to work hard and fight against her own limitations to make herself skilled enough to be a professional tennis player, and is prepared to work equally hard for a second career that won't pay anything like as well. Yet having that firm goal in mind, she says, frees her to enjoy playing now.

But it suddenly becomes clear that she is not indulging herself with some kind of fantasy escape from her current life: "Every female in my family is a teacher," she says, adding that when she tells them she wants to teach junior high school, they all groan. It's a tough age.

Her own interest in teaching math, though, is primarily because of the teaching she had at that age. "My math teacher was spectacular," she says. "I love math because of my teachers. They made it fascinating." Looking around now, she says, it's obvious to her how important the basics are.

Curiously, though, her interest in math does not extend to wanting to revamp the rankings system. It has hurt her ranking this year that she's only played 16 events, but as she points out, she had an ankle injury in the spring that kept her out for a while. Had that not happened, she figures she'd have played more like 20 events and her ranking would be higher.

"The system doesn't make much difference," she says. "You still have to play and win matches. And if you do that, your ranking goes up." She does agree that like everyone she is playing more because of the current ranking system. Her goals, though, aren't expressed in rankings, unlike a lot of players. "I want to improve my game and my results." She doesn't know how long she'll be able to keep playing but she loves it, and the one thing that will cause her to hang up her racquet is the constant traveling.

Perhaps because the veterans we tend to see most of -- especially Martina Navratilova but also this week 30-year-old Lisa Raymond, who is insistent that the tennis calendar needs to be shortened and condensed -- tend to have strong opinions about how the tennis world should change, it's a little surprising to find that Frazier doesn't. Asked how tennis has changed in the course of her career, she says, "The tour has grown dramatically and the depth has improved. It's great because every match is always a tough match."

"Is that what you love?" I ask. "Competing?"

"I do love competing."

"Would you find it less fun to have a lot of easy matches?"

"I don't know. I've never had a lot of easy matches," she says. "Any time I win a match, I'm thrilled. And that's been true through my entire career."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there wasnt no mention about her being tired or anything like that,
i believe still has some more yrs in her........
of course if she doesnt start improving her results,
she'll start to have a hard time getting into Tier II's by DA,
and there arent that many WC's to give around,
i dont think she is on the silver exempt list this yr,
but if Amanda and Conchita are still there, why not her:):)

faboozadoo15
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:17 PM
i really hope she sticks around a little longer. shes fun to watch and very very nice from what ive heard.

Danke Anke
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Never leave Amy!

Sammm
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Nice article.

jimbo mack
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:38 PM
amy's not retiring, she's entered tournaments in 2004 already!!

kerbear
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:40 PM
I'd like for her to stick it out for a couple of years. I like watching her play.

brunof
Nov 18th, 2003, 05:33 PM
If you don't remember Frazier, she's the pasty-white player who, in her visor and short-sleeved shirt, looks like a backroom poker player. :o

Pasty-white? ha.

It is too bad that she doesnt commit to a few more tournaments out of the states, but I guess that is her decision. She was however the queen of Japan for quite some time. I wonder if she will go to St. Paul this year. I would be there in a heartbeat, school or no school! Go Amy! :)

Brian Stewart
Nov 19th, 2003, 08:49 AM
It would be a shame if she retired in 2004. If she plays a full schedule, she should be able to keep her ranking well within the top 100. That means DA into the slams. If she plays all 4 in 2004, she'll be on the verge of the record for most slams played. For someone that hasn't gotten a lot of notoriety in her career, that would be something to hang her hat on.

spiceboy
Nov 19th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Thanx for the article, kkman :wavey:

Amy is the nicest and sweetest girl on tour :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: