PDA

View Full Version : Who can possibly stop the domination by the Williams &/or the 2 Belgians in 2004?

Filadidas
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Simply take a look back at the Grand Slams history in 2003, we realize its either being dominated by the Williams sisters or the 2 Belgian girls.....

Australian Open 2003:
Champion: Serena Williams
Final: Serena Williams vs. Venus Williams
Semis: Serena Williams vs. Kim Clijsters / Venus Williams vs. Justine Henin-Hardene

French Open 2003:
Champion: Justine Henin-Hardene
Final: Justine Henin-Hardene vs. Kim Clijsters
Semis: Justine Henin-Hardene vs. Serena Williams / Kim Clijsters vs. Nadia Petrova

Wimbledon 2003:
Champion: Serena Williams
Final: Serena Williams vs. Venus Williams
Semis: Serena Williams vs. Justine Henin-Hardene / Venus Williams vs. Kim Clijsters

US Open 2003:
Champion: Justine Henin-Hardene
Final: Justine Henin-Hardene vs. Kim Clijsters
Semis: Justine Henin-Hardene vs. Jennifer Capriati / Kim Clijsters vs. Lindsay Davenport

I think majority of people will expect this rivalry between the Williams and the 2 Belgians to be continued in 2004 and simply dominates the Grand Slams in 2004 too......

But my question is, is there anyone on the tour right now can possibly stop this to be happened in the Grand Slams 2004? If there is one, who will this player be?

:) :) :)

Instant
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:36 AM
I think it will be a 3 way battle in 2004, Serena, Justine and Kim :)

justine&coria
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:45 PM
It'll be a 3 way battle between Serena, Justine and Venus.
Kim will be just behind those 3 people (but in front of probably 2 in the rankings !).

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Vera Zvonareva can challenge all four on clay.
ditto for Sharapova on grass/fast hard court

gmak
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:50 PM
a healthy amelie :D

i'm also eager to see what maria can do next year at Wimbledon :hug:

firefly_ac
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Daniela Hantuchova!

Reichen
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Sugiyama can probably stop Kim every once in a while.

Chanda can perhaps take on Justine when they play on a fast surface, and she can take both William sisters.

Shaughnessy can take Venus pretty well.

Sandrine will probably resume troubling Serena;)

Nadia can trouble all if she plays well.

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:21 PM
I find it amusing how so many people have such faith in Maria. Maria will be good someday, but she ain´t challenging the top 4 just yet.

Fyndh0rnElf
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:23 PM
I find it amusing how so many people have such faith in Maria. Maria will be good someday, but she ain´t challenging the top 4 just yet.

She lost 0-6 3-6 to Kim recently :silly:

NicoMary
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Amélie Mauresmo on clay
Mary Pierce and Elena dementieva on hard
Myskina, bovina and petrova indoor

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM
She lost 0-6 3-6 to Kim recently :silly:

And that against Kim.....wanna see what Serena and Venus will do to her?! Same as they did with Dani: DESTROY her!

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:34 PM
And that against Kim.....wanna see what Serena and Venus will do to her?! Same as they did with Dani: DESTROY her!

She took a 6-1 set off of Kim with her big shots, it's just a matter of consistency with Sharapova. I have a small clip if you would like to see.

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:37 PM
She took a 6-1 set off of Kim with her big shots, it's just a matter of consistency with Sharapova. I have a small clip if you would like to see.

That´s what I said....she will be good someday, but for next year it is too soon to expect her to be really challenging the top 4.

Post the clip for moi, no.

saki
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
I would agree that you're a little deluded if you think that Sharapova will be challenging the top 4 next season. She's had some great results and will no doubt get there someday, but next season? Please!

At the moment Jen & Amelie are the closest to the top 4, but both have question marks over their fitness and mental strength. The other possibility is Daniela who started out her career with a huge variety of shots but seems to have dwindled into a one-dimensional erratic power player. If she gets her act together, and dumping Sears should help, she's definitely got the talent.

justine&coria
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Didn't Sharapova lose something like 6/0 6/2 against Clijsters ?
Of course Sharapova beat 6-1 : and in the interview, CLijsters said that if she plays this way, she's unbeatable.
I haven't seen that match, but for me the reason why Kim said that, was because Sharapova is a new talent : just to encourage her !!
THat's just my point of view

~KKman~
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Anna Kournikova.....:kiss:

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:54 PM
If I had to pick just one: Anastasia Myskina. Give this girl Pat E. and work on her serve and she will be ranked 5th in the world.

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:11 PM
If I had to pick just one: Anastasia Myskina. Give this girl Pat E. and work on her serve and she will be ranked 5th in the world.

Yep...if she can bulk-up a bit and work on her movement and serve...she is top 5 easily.

SerialKiller#69
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:21 PM
If Mauresmo remains healthy for the entire season, she can hurt the Big Babes. I have a feeling it's Daniela and Jelena's dream season next year.

Filadidas
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:52 AM
After watching the performance at the YEC semis... Amelie Mauresmo is definitely the one to pick... :)

I hope she will stay injury-free in 2004!!! :D

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Momo is BAD in a GOOD way! The girl can play...she has been injured so often this year, that I almost forgot about her. But if she can mantain her YEC-form for´04, she i s going to be TROUBLE!!

DiZZiA
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:59 AM
I am gonna pick Myskina!!!!

propi
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Healthy Amélie, Dani and Dokic
Plus Myskina and a surprise player from time to time

mandy7
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Kim will get back to number one and dominate,
but girls like Myskina and Mauresmo can give the others a hard time
and I'm hoping this will be the year that Hantuchova and Dokic get back where they belong

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Kim will get back to number one and dominate,
but girls like Myskina and Mauresmo can give the others a hard time
and I'm hoping this will be the year that Hantuchova and Dokic get back where they belong

And WHERE is that exactly?! :p

LozHippy
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Hopefully Jelena and Monica :)

mandy7
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:25 PM
And WHERE is that exactly?! :p

Daniela top 5 and Dokic top 10

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:40 PM
I think it will be Amelie or Lindsay. These
are my 2 picks for the role of spoilers.