Filadidas
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Hantuchova in 2003 as well!!!! :sad:

gmak
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:14 AM
amelie unfortunately :sad:

bis2806
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Definitely Angelique Widjaja, that girl can kill anyone if she's on mental-wise....

xr6turbo
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Kim, sometimes.

switz
zvonareva, schett, farina-elia (only sometimes).

crazillo
maggie maleeva. she is not that nervous against the big players but she often lost (espacially this year) after big leadings. i could tell you six or seven examples where she was 4-0, 5-2, 3-1 with breaks and lost it then.

CamilleVidann
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Venus Williams (only against Serena)
Kim (only against the Willies and Juju)
Jennifer (only against the Willies, Juju and Kimmy)

azza
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Daniella
Angi :sad:
Scheet

Harju.
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Definitely Angelique Widjaja, that girl can kill anyone if she's on mental-wise....
ditto

May I add Momo and Dani :help:

sartrista7
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Funniest thing ever :haha: Sure, Widjaja's mentally weak... but her real problem is that, well, she's not really that good.

Amélie is Queen Choke. Vera Z is also pretty insane.

TartarVicario
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Kuznetsova :sad:

propi
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Marta Marrero :tape:

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:52 PM
sadly Anna :sad:

Roxers
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Babsi Schett :sad:

esquímaux
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:31 PM
me!!! :lol: I've choked a couple matches too ;) You guys should take it easy on the ladies, as they are trying hard out there.....and besides they are better than we'll every be at tennis :unsure:

sartrista7
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:03 PM
:shrug: People just judge her based on her performance against Anna K.

Never seen it. I've seen her a couple of other times though, and each time was seriously unimpressed. Her fans all seem to be quite deluded about her ability.

Darop.
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:44 PM
ME :rolleyes:

jd
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:56 PM
yeah, sadly, Amelie.
But since the match against Ai, she's back a fighter!

rnwerner
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:02 PM
11 years later we should make an update.

I really want to underline that this French Open I saw two players who were completely blocated/weak/bad in a match where they both played stunning tennis against a Top 25 player for one set ( won it easily 61).

This is a huge difference to players which are bad when the have a lead (typically called "chokers" like Ivanovic, Kuznestova, Kanepi.
Like Townsend in that match against Cornet. Like Muguruza twice earlier this year. Like Lepchenko, Jankovic etc. from time to time. And many others.

But now I am talking about players who can play "free" tennis in one set (like first set probably OR second after losing the first) but in a deciding set they just can't play their tennis which is really sad and disappointing because you can clearly see the potential in that good set.

I am talking about Kiki Bertens and Timea Bacsinszky.

Both qualified quite easily and both probably played their best tennis in Qualies, especially Bertens. Her coach said that she was far better in q draw than in main draw.

Bertens won 6-.1 against Petkovic in set 1.
Bacsinszky won 6-1 against CSN in set 2.
Both were DOMINATING a Top 25 player. And it's not like those two are just BBBs and therefore can only play one good set per match.
It was clearly mental and it was sad to see.

the mixer
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Bertens only played so freely with such success to start with because Petko herself was nervous. Petko seems very nervy a lot of the time which is maybe surprising.

In fact, most of the WTA have their moments. The exception would be Maria who is probably the strongest on either tour aside from maybe Djokovic.

Djo-Coeur
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Uh... That's giving no credit to the opponent. :rolleyes:
lots of times the other player who started poorly gets her act together at a given point, making the player on the other side look like she's choking. It's called momentum switch. Experienced and talented players are better at it.

TNT96
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Zvonereva
Stosur
Hantuchova
Ivanovic
Novotna
Lisicki

rnwerner
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Well I saw both matches and I respect Petko and CSN a lot but both were playing bad throughout the match (in those two matches).

Pimp_Me_Pova
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Ivanovic, lisicki, kvitova, safarova, goerges, basically all BBB :oh:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
This 2003 thread starts with Capriati and Mauresmo, which shows you have to let the players have careers.
Especially the way slam draws fall apart recently.
Besides Sharapova, Kuznetsova has not won any title since 2010, Errani, Navarro, Muguruza, Bouchard have only won Intls, and Halep & Petkovic have never made a slam semi.

So a player who might seem metally weak, might win 2 majors in the next 5 years, like Amelie did after 2003

cozy411
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
Bertens only played so freely with such success to start with because Petko herself was nervous. Petko seems very nervy a lot of the time which is maybe surprising.

In fact, most of the WTA have their moments. The exception would be Maria who is probably the strongest on either tour aside from maybe Djokovic.

Oh really? Then why has she had frequent "slow starts" in a lot of her matches losing first sets 6-1 or 6-2? Trust me it wasn't just because she didn't play well. Wasn't she on the ropes at 6-3, 4-3 in her last match before Stosur seemingly imploded mentally allowing Sharapova to gain confidence again? If Stosur had managed to get 6-3, 5-3 I doubt Sharapova would have rattled off 9 straight games. Of course the biggest question - why on earth does she still get nervous playing Serena when she already knows her game very well?

the mixer
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Oh really? Then why has she had frequent "slow starts" in a lot of her matches losing first sets 6-1 or 6-2? Trust me it wasn't just because she didn't play well. Wasn't she on the ropes at 6-3, 4-3 in her last match before Stosur seemingly imploded mentally allowing Sharapova to gain confidence again? If Stosur had managed to get 6-3, 5-3 I doubt Sharapova would have rattled off 9 straight games. Of course the biggest question - why on earth does she still get nervous playing Serena when she already knows her game very well?

You can have slow starts, which are by no means always attributable to nerves, as long as you come back and win when it counts. She has one of the strongest records over three sets for example.

TNT96
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:36 PM

Sharapova is praised regularly by commentators, players, and fans as having a strong mental fortitude
While she can have some slow starts at times, her ability to hang in there and fight for every point, finding ways to win when she's not playing well,
And coming back in matches other players would have written off shows she has an extremely strong mentality
I agree that the only time that strength is missing is when she plays Williams. It's as though that belief isn't there like it is with every other player on the tour

StoneRose
Jun 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Maria has tough mentality, Serena and Vika are even tougher on court. As for the mentally weak, just watching this tournament Stosur stands out with her embarassing third set performance against Maria.

lenas warriors
Jun 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
Csn?!

R.Wong
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:04 PM
Muguruza
6-4 5-2 lead but eventally lose to Koukalova 4-6 7-5 6-0

starin
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
Sharapova is praised regularly by commentators, players, and fans as having a strong mental fortitude
While she can have some slow starts at times, her ability to hang in there and fight for every point, finding ways to win when she's not playing well,
And coming back in matches other players would have written off shows she has an extremely strong mentality
I agree that the only time that strength is missing is when she plays Williams. It's as though that belief isn't there like it is with every other player on the tour

Or you know Serena could actually be a better player. A shocking idea that has almost no evidence to support it, I know.

Rogue.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:10 PM
Or you know Serena could actually be a better player. A shocking idea that has almost no evidence to support it, I know.

She's a far better player than Maria and everyone else and she knows it. That's where her reserves of mental fortitude come from: knowledge that if she gets her game together she'll beat anybody.

As far as people labeling Muguruza as mentally weak, she's 20 and she'll learn. I thought she gave a great effort today but was just worn down by an experienced opponent. No shame in that in her first major quarterfinal.

Alwaysfan
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM
Carla without a doubt

Halepsova
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM
Maresmo was the weakest in tennis history. :o

Jizynovic
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:15 PM
I would say, Ana.

TheJoh
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Mauresmo :sad:
Now
Ivanovic
Georges
Kuznetsova
CSN
Lisicki
Mladenovic

pov
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM

:facepalm: Yes because it's news that Williams is the best active player - by far. The point is not that Williams wins against Sharapova, it's how the match goes. For someone who has fight and tenacity against any other player, it's not there against Williams.

Ilikebigboobies
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:45 PM
I have actually decided to approach this differently.

List of players not mentally week:

meneer_hidayat
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
olga pouchkova

Panther24
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:51 PM
Carla without a doubt

Did you seriously removed Carla out of your sig and avatar? :sobbing:

I_CLAUDIA_1961
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:56 PM

The reason being is that Maria's game does NOT nor has it ever matched up with Serena's game. Maria's a very fine talent but after 10 years worth of losses in a row, Serena's dominance over Maria has more to do with talent level than about Maria not having belief that she can beat Serena.