PDA

View Full Version : Verdict is finalized: No HBO/ESPN channels in Canada!

~SunFlower~
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:16 AM
CRTC nixes U.S. TV channels

By JOHN WARD
Canadian Press
Friday, November 7, 2003

OTTAWA -- Broadcasters and specialty TV channel operators breathed easier Friday after federal regulators denied a request to allow cable companies to import popular and lucrative American channels such as HBO and ESPN.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission said Friday the cable industry hadn't made a strong enough case for bringing in the services.

The Canadian Cable Television Association said it was disappointed, but broadcasters were relieved.

Glenn O'Farrell, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, said The Movie Channel and TSN might have been hard hit if the decision had gone the other way.

"It's hard to imagine how any of those Canadian services would have been able to continue to acquire program rights for broadcast in Canada when those American services would have been broadcasting those programs directly," he said.

In June, the cable operators told the CRTC that allowing the import of more U.S. channels would help fight satellite piracy and boost the struggling digital operators.

They worried about the fate of the digital cable companies. They are now two years old, but reach only about a fifth of Canadian TV households.

Broadcasters worried, too, that Canadian networks that re-broadcast popular U.S. shows such as Oz, Sex in the City and the Sopranos would have been badly undercut.

The Sopranos, which runs on HBO, airs on Canadian pay channels a few days or weeks after the U.S. broadcast and hits CTV a year later.

The cable association, however, said thousands of people already pirate these programs.

The CRTC said allowing the import of new channels would make it harder for Canadian services to buy the rights to foreign productions.

"The loss of revenues generated by such foreign programs could result in a decrease in the production and broadcast of Canadian programming," the commission said in its decision.

O'Farrell, spokesman for the majority of the country's private broadcasters, said Canadian viewers already get the bulk of the U.S. programming that would have been imported if the application had been upheld.

Allowing direct imports would have cost viewers more, he said.

"So I don't think it was very consumer friendly at all."

He added that arguments by the carriers that the plan would have helped reduce satellite TV piracy in Canada was "absolutely disingenuous and frankly very poorly considered."

The cable operators said they'll keep pushing the issue, saying it's a matter of consumer choice.

"We believe that supplying consumers what they want, when they want, is critical to the future success of the Canadian broadcasting system and Canada's continued leadership in broadband," said Michael Hennessy, acting president of the association.

~SunFlower~
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:17 AM
I can't stand TSN! :mad:

~SunFlower~
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:17 AM
I want WSTN back... :sad: :bigcry:

Fingon
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM
:rolleyes: at the CRTC

this is the bullshit influence of Sheila Copp, I hope that Martin screws this ridiculous law.

Whoever proposes to stop that bullshit of protecting local shitty channels that all they do is to broadcast signals they buy in the US will get my vote, for sure.

LeonHart
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Does that mean Canada gets no Tennis coverage...?

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:29 AM
They worried about the fate of the digital cable companies. They are now two years old, but reach only about a fifth of Canadian TV households.

Perhaps if digital cable didnt' cost so fucking much, that wouldn't be a problem.

ToeTag
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Does that mean Canada gets no Tennis coverage...?
No.We get that atp crap..and the WTA tier one[Rogers' AT&T]and some combined events.I think Eurosport would be a better option though,it doesn't sound like espn is that shit hot either.

LeonHart
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:30 AM
No.We get that atp crap..and the WTA tier one[Rogers' AT&T]and some combined events.I think Eurosport would be a better option though,it doesn't sound like espn is that shit hot either.
Yes ESPN coverage is crap. :)

~SunFlower~
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Perhaps if digital cable didnt' cost so fucking much, that wouldn't be a problem.

Totally agree.

squawk box, you would want The Tennis Channel over Eurosport, right? :worship:

I am thinking of giving Shaw a huge threat. Shaw is going to lose me as one of its best customers. Shaw has two choices are to provide The Tennis Channel in its programming lineup or else losing me... I will email to Shaw...

and maybe you Canadian can give a shot too!

I can't believe this. First WTSN is gone and now this verdict with stupid CTRC! :fiery:

BasicTennis
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:46 AM
poor Canadians.:sad:

you should consider moving to another country.:tape:

ToeTag
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Totally agree.

squawk box, you would want The Tennis Channel over Eurosport, right? :worship:

I am thinking of giving Shaw a huge threat. Shaw is going to lose me as one of its best customers. Shaw has two choices are to provide The Tennis Channel in its programming lineup or else losing me... I will email to Shaw...

and maybe you Canadian can give a shot too!

I can't believe this. First WTSN is gone and now this verdict with stupid CTRC! :fiery:
ummm.. NO!! I'd take Eurosport.From what some of the ppl on here who have the Tennis Channel say, it doesn't sound that promising either.Maybe it will get better.At the moment though our best bet would be Eurosport..IMO.

~KKman~
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:13 AM
so only slams and Toronto left???.....
next yr is in Montreal, so French commentating?
idont want to see that:(
hopefully TSN will realize more tennis=more viewers

decemberlove
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:29 AM
i pity all those who dont get HBO.

sunday nights must suck.

beauty_is_pink
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:50 AM
what's wrong with Canada man! my god. they should seriously take a survey!!!

but.. we still do get Slams coverage right?
if not I go :fiery:

Havok
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:58 AM
YES we get Slam coverage. we get all 4 slams, IW, and Miami, and Toronto/Montreal, and NO there will be no french commentating when its played in montreal, Mary Carillo has been invited the past 2 years, cant go any further back than this. and we get all TSM for the ATP tour and their MAsters Cup. TSN should just pick up ALL Tier I events for WTA and it'll be all fine

Trish101
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:08 AM
im just angry that we always get hours upon hours of CFL coverage and NHL coverage of US cities playing (that doesnt concern canadian teams) yet we cant even braodcast the most lucrative tournie outside the slams?
TSN priorities are obviously only in it for Hockey and a bit of Footballl, its bullshit, they only cater to men and the women can fuck off as far as they care. Im dissapointed and angry. They better change the way they OVER indulge hockey and diversafy, im up to my neck in this crap.

Fingon
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:35 AM
TSN is crap and Rogers Sportsnet is even worse.

Rogers only does business in this country because it's protected on every market they are. It's the most fucking useless company in the entire world, managed by a bunch of incompetents.

TSN is not much better, and what can you expect when by law those companies are protected against foreign competition, for the only reason that their head offices are located in Canada.

like Rogers or TSN do anything good for this country. This regulations only help them fatten their wallets while the Canadian people is forced to have second class TV (and paid it as it was premium).

While we have idiots like Sheila Copp in the government, this isn't going to change. Maybe Martin will realize but I don't think it's a priority.

Maybe we should let our PMs know how angry we are, it's not about tennis, we are being limited in our choices only to protect the interests of a few monopolic groups.

This has to end.

Rocketta
Nov 9th, 2003, 04:43 AM
i pity all those who dont get HBO.

sunday nights must suck.

:worship: :worship:

omg, I was going to type just this! :p

I was going to say Poor Canadians, U just ain't living right without HBO. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Why I'm not surprised... We get tons of U.S. channel but not the 2 we all want. So stoopid.
Exactly.... more than half the channels I get are American, and I could gladly live without FOX :rolleyes:

kysersoze
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:29 PM
what's wrong with Canada man! my god. they should seriously take a survey!!!

but.. we still do get Slams coverage right?
if not I go :fiery:
breath girl, breath. Maybe they will have a total change of heart next year and show lots of tennis (yes ok, no chance of that happening still can live in hope).

kysersoze
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:31 PM
just realised how nieve that last post is....its TSN, of course they'll screw it up and not show tennis!

venusfan
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:03 PM
All you have to do is have one of your fellow wtaworld friends who live in the states order a satelite system and send it on over to you.. It's that easy. And u will not just get HBO/Espn but all the channels avail.

ToeTag
Nov 13th, 2003, 07:38 PM
All you have to do is have one of your fellow wtaworld friends who live in the states order a satelite system and send it on over to you.. It's that easy. And u will not just get HBO/Espn but all the channels avail.
:scratch: Well from what I hear espn isn't that shit hot either!Nope,the why to go is Eurosport.

Ryan
Nov 13th, 2003, 08:48 PM
We do get good coverage of the tournaments shown to us, but thats hardly enough to keep anyone happy.

Trish-the women AREN'T screwed. If they play bowling, pool, fitness competitions or ribbon gymnastics that is.

Hawk
Nov 13th, 2003, 09:50 PM
:scratch: Well from what I hear espn isn't that shit hot either!Nope,the why to go is Eurosport.

If we can't manage to get American ESPN..what are the odds of getting European Eurosport? :( I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Why does LPGA get prority over the WTA is what I want to know!? :fiery: We get women's golf, curling, hockey..but not the most established female sport in the world :rolleyes:

ToeTag
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:12 AM
If we can't manage to get American ESPN..what are the odds of getting European Eurosport? :( I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Why does LPGA get prority over the WTA is what I want to know!? :fiery: We get women's golf, curling, hockey..but not the most established female sport in the world :rolleyes:
I think it would actually be easier to import Eurosport.ESPN's schedule would be in competition with TSN,whereas Eurosport's wouldn't be.The CRTC would probably be more receptive to anyone wanting to bring in a European channel.

The sports on TSN and ESPN are similiar and the same,but how much hockey and baseball etc. does Eurosport air.Whom ever wanted to import Eurosport could sell this to the CRTC as a "specialty" channel.