PDA

View Full Version : So you think the season is too long and players have to play too many matches?

disposablehero
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Well, guess what? The new year end championships guarantee that the very best players will play even more matches. The 2 best players in the event play 5 matches now instead of 4. the next best two play 4 instead of 3, and the next 4 play 3 matches instead of 1 or 2.

*JR*
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:38 AM
No doubt. Incidentally, a little noticed event also took place in LA today, the WTA's all-important year end board meeting, where such things are discussed. Obviously the AER was on the table, as well as possible venues and formats for the YEC, the scheduling of events next year, and the 4 "elective" Gold WC's. BTW, whatever one thinks of Larry Scott as a "sports commissioner" (one year being too soon to say, IMO), the "puff piece" story on him by ESPN.com's "tennis editor" Cynthia Faulkner could have been done by the WTA's own PR dept. :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Well, guess what? The new year end championships guarantee that the very best players will play even more matches. The 2 best players in the event play 5 matches now instead of 4. the next best two play 4 instead of 3, and the next 4 play 3 matches instead of 1 or 2.
Wow, I had no idea about that. Thank you VERY much for revealing these shocking facts.

Dawn Marie
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:00 AM
I think the season is too long, but the players don't HAVE to play too many matches. That's on them if they get hurt for the long haul and burnt out.

Rothes
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:06 AM
It's partially a players responsibility to organize and co-ordinate their own seasons, it's a responsibility of being on the WTA. Other then that the season could bre cut down by a few weeks for the sake of it IMO.

-Sonic-
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:11 AM
The top players should realise that they'll be playing this tournament and adjust their schedule accordingly.

For example, I doubt that Kim would play Luxembourg if she thought she would be too tired for the Year End Champs, not to pick on her, but u catch my drift.

Plus, a usual top player only has to win 4 matches to win a tier 2. Sometimes only 4 matches to win a tier 1. The 1 extra match won't make a huge difference to them IMHO.

JennyS
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:13 AM
I think one of the reasons players get injured and fatigued is the number of matches that are played in consecutive days. It must be very tough to play a three setter and come back less than 24 hours later to play another match.

mishar
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:18 AM
Well at a normal tournament the top seeds play four matches in four days (start on Thursday to Sunday). I don't think it's anything so extraordinary for them.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Maybe the players should play fewer exos in the off season.