PDA

View Full Version : Who here thinks Justine will defend her RG title?

maccardel
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:22 PM
I don't. If Serena, Kim or Venus doesn't win it then my next choice is Anastaysia will be the one to hold it high. There is no doubt that she will claim a slam in 04.

As for Amelie, she will win RG after she first wins Wimbledon or one of the other slams.

switz
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:25 PM
I don't. If Serena, Kim or Venus doesn't win it then my next choice is Anastaysia will be the one to hold it high. There is no doubt that she will claim a slam in 04.

As for Amelie, she will win RG after she first wins Wimbledon or one of the other slams.

:lol: :lol: she couldn't even beat henin with the flu, even aniko kapros could do that. i don't see myskina winning slams, but if she did i seriously doubt it will be roland garros. faster surfaces are better for her IMO. i wouldn't mind her winning it though.

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:28 PM
I don't think she will defend... but it wouldn't be the first time Justine surprises me :mad: :lol: :rolleyes:

SJW
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Nastya? :lol:

saki
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:31 PM
I'm with switz on Myskina - you're deluded if you think she'll win RG. Her best chance is probably the Australian and even there, I don't think she's anywhere near a favourite.

On clay, Justine is clearly at or slightly above Serena's level, slightly above Kim's and we've not seen her play Venus on clay for some time. So, I'd say that if she plays Serena, she's probably got about a 55% chance to win, 70% chance against Kim, and Venus will be a ? until we see them play again on clay. That leaves her with a decent but not overwhelmingly great chance to defend. We shall see. ;) But IMO, it's irrational to say that she definitely won't defend.

shap_half
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Well the only time Venus defeated Justine on clay was due to a mental breakdown.

I think Justine has a great chance to win RG because she is the best clay court player around.

And the more I watch Anastasia play the more I see that she is indeed the best Russian there is.

Mad-About-Venus
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Rest assured that if Serena faces Justine again next year she will be mentally prepared to igonore those nasty French bastards that brought her down this year. Serena was caught off guard this year, but she won't let it happen again. Justine will have to raise a lot of hands to beat Serena.

Knizzle
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Well the only time Venus defeated Justine on clay was due to a mental breakdown.

I think Justine has a great chance to win RG because she is the best clay court player around.

And the more I watch Anastasia play the more I see that she is indeed the best Russian there is.

Only reason Justine ever defeated Venus anywhere is because Venus made too many errors.

I doubt Justine will defend next year, but she will have a good chance to win in 2005.

lizchris
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:55 PM
If recent history is any indication, Justine will not defend her title. You will have to go back to the mid or early 1990's to see if someone defended her FO title. That title must be hard to defend because it is the only Grand Slam that the women have not ben able to defend for a few years.

Kart
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Even though I am not one of Justine's fans, she won the French open with a pretty full field so I don't see why she can't defend.

It's rather early though to be asking this question though.

switz
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:52 AM
i think venus in form/ not injured is the best clay court player in the world. i know that sounds weird, but i will never forget the way she beat seles at RG.

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:56 AM
I have faith that Justine will win RG again. In the past five meetins she's had with a Williams sister on clay she is at a 4-2 advantage over them. With a 75% winning percentage against Serena and 50% against Venus.

I think she can do it more so than any other player.

slice
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:01 AM
no chance...

Jericho
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:20 AM
i think venus in form/ not injured is the best clay court player in the world. i know that sounds weird, but i will never forget the way she beat seles at RG.

even i know thats not true ;)

Venus I think becomes more strategical on clay and shes more willing to rally than serena is, ex: against seles at the French and especially against Henin-Hardenne at Amelia Island, i swear i have never seen Venus change her game completely than during that Amelia Island F

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:58 AM
even i know thats not true ;)

Venus I think becomes more strategical on clay and shes more willing to rally than serena is, ex: against seles at the French and especially against Henin-Hardenne at Amelia Island, i swear i have never seen Venus change her game completely than during that Amelia Island F

What he is saying I think is that when Venus plays really well, you aren't beating her clay or no clay.

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:09 AM
What he is saying I think is that when Venus plays really well, you aren't beating her clay or no clay.

i simply don't agree with this. i think that justine's game is competely suited for clay. and venus, even playing very well, can be beaten with that game on the surface.

So what are you trying to say that if Venus is beaten therefore she was not playing well? :rolleyes:

for-sure
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Only reason Justine ever defeated Venus anywhere is because Venus made too many errors.

I doubt Justine will defend next year, but she will have a good chance to win in 2005.

I think that Justine would beat a lot of us for the same reason :rolleyes:

The first time they played (on clay) Venus got spanked and said that if Justine could play like that all the time she would be no.1

for-sure
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:16 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:18 AM
i simply don't agree with this. i think that justine's game is competely suited for clay. and venus, even playing very well, can be beaten with that game on the surface.

So what are you trying to say that if Venus is beaten therefore she was not playing well? :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying anything about Juju particularly. Venus still has a level of play that Juju can't reach. Both WS do. I can't think of any matches on any surface where Venus was beaten while playing well, can you?? I think you think I have something against Juju, but it's not the case. Somehow people think Juju is near invincible on clay and she is not even dominant on the stuff. She is the most comfortable and consistent on clay because it's her favorite surface, but it's not like she is just blowing through her matches on clay and no one can touch her. Justine's problem is that she has no answer for Venus' game. She doesn't know how to beat her.

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I think that Justine would beat a lot of us for the same reason :rolleyes:

The first time they played (on clay) Venus got spanked and said that if Justine could play like that all the time she would be no.1

Then Venus went on a 7 match tear against Justine. So i fail to see your point.

for-sure
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I wasn't saying anything about Juju particularly. Venus still has a level of play that Juju can't reach. Both WS do. I can't think of any matches on any surface where Venus was beaten while playing well, can you?? I think you think I have something against Juju, but it's not the case. Somehow people think Juju is near invincible on clay and she is not even dominant on the stuff. She is the most comfortable and consistent on clay because it's her favorite surface, but it's not like she is just blowing through her matches on clay and no one can touch her. Justine's problem is that she has no answer for Venus' game. She doesn't know how to beat her.

You say that Justine is not dominante on Clay?

she beat Serena is straight sets and then went on to beat her again
Kim 6-0 6-4
and only Lost 1 match all clay court Season after holding match points

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:25 AM
You say that Justine is not dominante on Clay?

she beat Serena is straight sets and then went on to beat her again
Kim 6-0 6-4
and only Lost 1 match all clay court Season

Serena lost twice in 2002 so does that make her utterly dominant on clay?? We all know why she beat Serena at the FO which is why you didn't mention much about that. Don't mention Kim because she has mental problems facing Juju at the slams.

Ballbuster
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Justine is going to get stomped out.

SerialKiller#69
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:49 AM
She won't but she'll beat one of the Williams en route. It's Kim's turn now.;)

dreamgoddess099
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Serena and Justine have played on clay four times with Justine leading the series 3-1. They both have straight sets wins over each other, so those matches cancel each other out. Now, the other to matches went 7-6 and 7-5 in the third. I highly doubt that Justine is just so much better than Serena on clay or else she wouldn't be just bearly getting by her. Anyway, Serena was the best clay courter in 2002 and can still improve greatly on clay. She's a better offensive and defensive player than Justine, so she only needs to work on her patience in order to beat her.

BTW, Serena has an Old World Triple( that's winning IO, FO, and Wimby in the same year). Where is "The Great Clay Courter" Justine's?

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Justine defeated Serena in the first set of RG 6-2. She didn't allow Serena to get too much into the rallies and mixed it up and was aggressive. In the second set, Justine probably became too comfortable and was less aggressive and was trying more and more to overpower Serena and Serena won with a difference of one break.

Justine will rule the clay next season again! Serena and Justine were last season's best players on clay and you'd think that after winning RG Serena would continue her good form but instead she was defeated in EVERY clay court she entered and so was Venus. I think Justine is too determined and too pumped up to let her favorite slam go by her easily.

Reichen
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:50 PM
It would be awesome if Sandrine took her first Slam at Roland Garros;)!

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Justine defeated Serena in the first set of RG 6-2. She didn't allow Serena to get too much into the rallies and mixed it up and was aggressive. In the second set, Justine probably became too comfortable and was less aggressive and was trying more and more to overpower Serena and Serena won with a difference of one break.

Justine will rule the clay next season again! Serena and Justine were last season's best players on clay and you'd think that after winning RG Serena would continue her good form but instead she was defeated in EVERY clay court she entered and so was Venus. I think Justine is too determined and too pumped up to let her favorite slam go by her easily.

She may have to deal with both of the WS though. A tall order. One I don't think Juju is ready for. She got a break facing Kim in the final this year, she may not be so lucky in 2004. She has never defeated Venus at a slam and only Serena once, plus she has the pressure of defending. How is Justine at defending titles??

Allez-H
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Come on you guys,you have to admit it:Justine is the best claycourtplayer if this generation.I see her win the French Open at least two more times( if she doen't have any injures).I mean she used to have only the technique and she would go on and beat the powerplayers on clay.Now she has the technique and power!Seriously,she has absolutly everything to win a couple of other FO-titels(I'm not saying dominate:with the WS and Kim around you can't just dominate a tourament)

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Come on you guys,you have to admit it:Justine is the best claycourtplayer if this generation.I see her win the French Open at least two more times( if she doen't have any injures).I mean she used to have only the technique and she would go on and beat the powerplayers on clay.Now she has the technique and power!Seriously,she has absolutly everything to win a couple of other FO-titels(I'm not saying dominate:with the WS and Kim around you can't just dominate a tourament)

I agree. I think she will win 3 or 4 RG and one Aussie. I just don't think she will defend in 2004.

VS Fan
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Well,

If Serena doesn't challenge her, Justine has a GREAT chance of defending Roland Garros.

These two are esscentially EVEN on clay, with Justine having a very slight edge.

On the other surfaces, forget it, it is Serena by a long margin.l

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM
we will have a different winner for each slam in 2004, no one will defend the slam they won. You have heard it here first.

Ryan
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Serena lost twice in 2002 so does that make her utterly dominant on clay?? We all know why she beat Serena at the FO which is why you didn't mention much about that. Don't mention Kim because she has mental problems facing Juju at the slams.

What? Don't mention people Justine beat for pathetic reasons like that? Ok.

Dont mention Venus in any of Serena's slam wins, Venus obviously has mental problems against her. Dont mention Hingis, because she was obviously exhausted from her match against Vensu in 1999. Dont mention Kim, she choked. Dont mention Amelie, Serena's too good on grass, so that=unfair. Lindsay was recovering fom an injury, that also is a no, no. And Jennifer choked in their RG 02 semifinal, another one you can't mention. Tsk, tsk Serena didn't earn any of those slams.

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:12 PM
What? Don't mention people Justine beat for pathetic reasons like that? Ok.

Dont mention Venus in any of Serena's slam wins, Venus obviously has mental problems against her. Dont mention Hingis, because she was obviously exhausted from her match against Vensu in 1999. Dont mention Kim, she choked. Dont mention Amelie, Serena's too good on grass, so that=unfair. Lindsay was recovering fom an injury, that also is a no, no. And Jennifer choked in their RG 02 semifinal, another one you can't mention. Tsk, tsk Serena didn't earn any of those slams.

Don't be stupid. None of them went down anything like Kim did in the RG and the US Open finals.

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Justine is slightly ahead of Serena on clay, eventhough clay is Justine is BEST and Serenaīs WORST surface relatively. Justine will win more RGīs, but defending is a tough thing to do.

Lady
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:20 PM
I do

XMan
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:28 PM
If there is one thing that I really think that Justine will do next year then it is a next French Open title.

Hagar
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:31 PM
For me the likely contenders for RG are: Serena, Justine, Kim and to a lesser extent Venus and Jennifer. I think Justine can defend her title but the other four could lift the trophy as well.

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:59 PM
She may have to deal with both of the WS though. A tall order. One I don't think Juju is ready for. She got a break facing Kim in the final this year, she may not be so lucky in 2004. She has never defeated Venus at a slam and only Serena once, plus she has the pressure of defending. How is Justine at defending titles??

I don't know. She did defeat two of the world's best on clay to defend her German Open. Even when she was down 3 mps in the final.

Venus Forever
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Shame on Serena for losing the only two tournaments she played on clay this year, although she got to the Semis and Finals of both, losing to the to-be-champion.

Shame on Venus for being injured in one event, and being unprepared due to that same injury in another event.

Shame, Shame, Shame!! :o

Knizzle
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Shame on Serena for losing the only two tournaments she played on clay this year, although she got to the Semis and Finals of both, losing to the to-be-champion.

Shame on Venus for being injured in one event, and being unprepared due to that same injury in another event.

One good year on clay makes Justine the clay goddess, didn't you get the memo??

bandabou
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:16 PM
I don't know. She did defeat two of the world's best on clay to defend her German Open. Even when she was down 3 mps in the final.

There you go: She isnīt winning easily. Saving matchpoints, close three-setters....canīt keep winning them all. Bound to lose one of those close matches.

Venus Forever
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:24 PM
One good year on clay makes Justine the clay goddess, didn't you get the memo??

I must have been away when that happened. :o

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:37 PM

:rolleyes:

it was three. Serena also lost to Amelie Mauresmo in Roma after being two points away from winning. Or did you forget that?

So Serena played 3 won none. Justine played 4 won 3. :tape: If that isn't telling of how well Justine plays on clay compared to Serena then I don't know what is.

OK let's try another approach in the career statistics on clay, Justine has .828 compared to Serena's .789. Yes Justine plays more and wins more but this year Serena played one less tournament and won 3 less tournaments.

I'm not trying to say Serena is not a challenge, because she is. She's a big challenge to anyone on anything. But challenge or not, I expect Justine to come out on top against anyone on clay. The only reason I think Justine was even taken to three sets against Dementieva and lost is I think was because Justine may have underestimated Elena's spirit. And I'm not trying to come up with excuses but I just don't expect Elena to ever defeat Justine again on clay. Actually if Justine is playing well and is fit, I don't see anyone really beating her on clay. It's possible that she can be beaten but history shows (and I know how much some Williams fans love historical figures) that Justine is the best on clay and with newly found confidence and strength, I think she will continue a run on this surface.

~KKman~
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:43 PM

it was three. Serena also lost to Amelie Mauresmo in Roma after being two points away from winning. Or did you forget that?

So Serena played 3 won none. Justine played 4 won 3. :tape: If that isn't telling of how well Justine plays on clay compared to Serena then I don't know what is.

OK let's try another approach in the career statistics on clay, Justine has .828 compared to Serena's .789. Yes Justine plays more and wins more but this year Serena played one less tournament and won 3 less tournaments.

I'm not trying to say Serena is not a challenge, because she is. She's a big challenge to anyone on anything. But challenge or not, I expect Justine to come out on top against anyone on clay. The only reason I think Justine was even taken to three sets against Dementieva and lost is I think was because Justine may have underestimated Elena's spirit. And I'm not trying to come up with excuses but I just don't expect Elena to ever defeat Justine again on clay. Actually if Justine is playing well and is fit, I don't see anyone really beating her on clay. It's possible that she can be beaten but history shows (and I know how much some Williams fans love historical figures) that Justine is the best on clay and with newly found confidence and strength, I think she will continue a run on this surface.
YOU SAID IT, BROTHER...... :worship: :worship:

GO Justine :angel:

Venus Forever
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:56 PM

One good year on clay doesn't make you the next Chris Evert. Justine had ONE good year on clay, in fact, she only really had ONE good year at all on any surface.

Just like everyone thought Serena's wins on clay last year were a fluke, doesn't mean Justine's year wasn't either. She had ONE good year, and that's it. She truly has to prove herself next year that she can keep it up.

She's good on clay, but to go as far as to say that no one will beat her on clay is ridiculous. If Dementieva can do it, anyone else can too.

maccardel
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:11 AM

And what I was trying to say.

Amelie has already said it for me. (mauresmo d. Hardienne YEC 2003)

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Itīs gonna be difficult...look at her clay-matches against the top contenders. They werenīt exactly easy. Kim had mpīs and should have won in Berlin, Serenaīs match against Justine was close...in fact if Serena wins that 4-2 game and goes up 5-2, then we wouldnīt even be having this discussion! Venus has beaten her on clay, Amelie can trouble her..

Justine is good on clay, but she is not HEAD and SHOULDERS over the rest. Itīs gonna be difficult. Beating Kim in a final, is different than beatin Serena. Plus Kimīs BOUND to show up at a slam-final one of these days.

moby
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:43 AM

indeed, the first set was all justine
in the second set, i thought justine was VERY UNLUCKY not to convert her infinitely many breakpoints and it was clear that she was the better player in that set and was just unlucky

than serena took over until... ummm... the incident.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Can you believe that Serena made it that close without a first serve, making that many errors?! Serena sure is amazing.