PDA

View Full Version : Fernandez: YEC "in talks with New York"

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:05 PM
cj, holland michigan: from tv both this year and last year i've noticed that the LA arena has been pretty empty. Why would the WTA still keep it there next year instead of moving it back to New York?

Mary Joe Fernandez: Good question. I think there are talks about getting it back to New York. The crowds are definitel better this year thant they were last year becasue they had time to promote it.

Complete Mary Joe Fernandez chat Here:
http://*****.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4284

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:13 PM
:bounce: Please lord let this be true...if they had moved it this year...I would be on my way their now...:mad:

mishar
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:22 PM
I think the problem was that Madison Square Garden had some scheduling conflict when they shortened the season. But we'll see.

Nice to hear the optimistic report about Monica!

Venus Forever
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I hope it's true. :D :D

RAA
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:25 PM
yes, agree with Mishar. there is a scheduling conflict with MSG if they hold it this week...

MSG ain't that hard up that they are going to move around alot of profitable NBA games and less profitable NHL games...

it would be great,. but i'm not holding my breath..

Goal_Post
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:26 PM
I hope they do go there. The L.A crowd don't seem to give two shits, let alone one. About watching the tennis.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:32 PM
I hope they move it to new york also. Even in Florida?

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:33 PM
please, let it be true. the natural concensus is that it should be almost anywhere BUT la. they have so many tiurnaments and tickets are pretty expensive (or are they, i thoughtthis was brought up that they were pricey, but im unsure).

griffin
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Well they've offered all KINDS of discounts to get people to buy tickets - great for those who haven't bought tickets yet, but NOT a good sign for the tournament.

LA was given a far better shot at making this work than Germany was - if they can't get the fans or the coverage, they should move the tournament.

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Advertising my ass, where where all these promos during the USOPEN.....

JennyS
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:29 PM
I think the tournament should be held in rotating locations. I don't get the WTA's lovefest with LA.

I think it makes more sense to hold the tournament in Europe, Asia or Australia, more than it does to hold it in the US. The interest for tennis is almost non-existent in most parts of the US this time of the year. I think if you put the tournament in Belgium it would be a huge success.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I don't think tennis fans will want to pay for the USO and the Championships also. Maybe I'm wrong, but why pay to see only 8 players when you have the USO?

Hmmmm....??

I think they should have it in canada. Have a tier I before (candian open) then another tier I in canada a couple of months after the USO.

:)

griffin
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:34 PM
I think they should hold it in Boston - screw the rest of you anyway >:(

;)

WtaTour4Ever, they promoted this tournament much more than they ever did when it was in New York (this year, at least). What have they got to show for it?

I actually agree that rotating the Champs is worth a shot - but if they're going to have it one place, they need to move it back to New York.

Or decide they like having it ignored.

Venus Forever
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:39 PM
I don't think tennis fans will want to pay for the USO and the Championships also. Maybe I'm wrong, but why pay to see only 8 players when you have the USO?

Hmmmm....??

I think they should have it in canada. Have a tier I before (candian open) then another tier I in canada a couple of months after the USO.

:)

They've done it before, and it was very successful. Yes, there were 16 players instead, but seriously, who really wants to see the Vera Zvonareva's of the world, especially since she is not well known yet, besides her fans??

Most of the time, people paid to see someoen in the top 8.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:43 PM
I rather see WTA Championships moving around the world each year like ATP - Masters Cup.

ys
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:01 AM
I more liked that piece from the chat:

Q:Hi Mary Joe. a few questions: Who is your pick to win this yr's championship and why? Is there any news that Martina H. is coming back to tennis? If so, do you think she can compete well with the Belgians?

A: On form, so far, I think Clijsters has played the best. Martina Hingis has been watching a lot of tennis and has been scouting a lot of the players and has been practicing and working out in the gym. I think there's a good chance we'll see her again.

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:04 AM
yes, I truly believe now Martina Hingis will give tennis, her friend and enemy, one last shot before she officially retires all together.....she's got unfinished business with Roland Garros fans:) :devil:

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:06 AM
The 2000 final between Martina and Monica was really special. It's stupid that more YEC since then can't produce matches like MSG produced over the last 25 years.

vogus
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM
I'm amazed that the WTA can afford to rent out the Staples Center when not many people are buying tickets. Kicking the Lakers out of town for a whole week can't be cheap. That was the whole problem with New York, that MSG has plenty of bigger fish and doesn't need the WTA.

ToeTag
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:10 AM
When I was listening to the audio on Eurosport,one of the commentators mentioned that the WTA signed a 3 YEAR contract!!So it'll be back in LA AGAIN next year. :rolleyes: :o :sad:

propi
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Why can't they do it in different places every year as ATP does????
Sure that kind of tourny would be a huge success in some countries of Asia and Europe

gmak
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM
omg let this be true

:bounce: :banana: :D

Rtael
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
When I was listening to the audio on Eurosport,one of the commentators mentioned that the WTA signed a 3 YEAR contract!!So it'll be back in LA AGAIN next year. :rolleyes: :o :sad:

pff....It'd be worth it to buy out their contract, if they could end up moving it to New York or Belgium or somewhere more profitable.

ktwtennis
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:01 AM
I think the problem was that Madison Square Garden had some scheduling conflict when they shortened the season. But we'll see.

Nice to hear the optimistic report about Monica!Yes, I was really happy to hear this! And for the YEC to move back would also be great!