PDA

View Full Version : Just checking: Thought Tennis was dead

venusfan
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Hopefully the Williams sisters renaissance in January will give this sport a life because it really does need one.

for-sure
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Hopefully the Williams sisters renaissance in January will give this sport a life because it really does need one.

Venusfan...where have you been? You have not posted in some time...BTW...:lol:

ghosts
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Yes, it was so much more exciting at the YEC last year when Serena beated Farina-Elia 6-0 6-1; that's what we call "life".
it definately wasn't 6-0 6-1 :p

and although last year the champs were worse organized they were more interesting !

CanadianBoy21
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Yes, it was so much more exciting at the YEC last year when Serena beated Farina-Elia 6-0 6-1; that's what we call "life".
that's what we call too good.
If it was 7-6 6-7 7-6 against Elia, it sure must not have been good tennis Serena was playing.
If Serena play good and the other one cannot reach the level, then go home.
Right not, Kim is beating players easily as well, but unlike Serena, she doesn't have the thing that draws people in to watch her, or pay attention to her. Most people in North America do not have a clue who the hell Justine and Kim are. While almost everyone knows about the Williams sisters. And though the Belgians are known in Belgian(obviously) and few other countries. But then again so are Venus & Serena.
People turn in to watch them, and tennis is dead if they are not there.
it's a fact.

Linzi
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:17 PM
if u guys think it is dead,why come on here to talk about tennis. sure tennis in 2003 was not what it was in 99/00 but there is still some great matches being played. i find it interesting watching some of the young russians come up, even though u williams fans think tennis is nothing without them.

do u want me to go on about why i think womens tennis is dead and boring without martina?

canoe.
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Women Tennis is dead, not tennis.
:rolleyes: I guess thats why you have over 1700 posts then.

Linzi
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Amen

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:29 PM

:haha: :haha:

alfajeffster
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Women Tennis is dead, not tennis.

Actually, I think the upcoming Australian Open (if everyone who says they're going to play actually does) is going to be the most exciting women's tennis field at a major in the past 5 years. Women's tennis isn't dead- our brain synapses have been numbed from overexposure to boring baseline bashing and lack-luster matches. The all-court players are on the verge of breaking through, and I for one want to be there when it happens.

I can't wait for January to get here!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:32 PM
You know whats funny...I have been playing Topspin on XBOX Live and almost everymatch I play I ask the guy I am playing if he is a fan of tennis and they almost always say not really they just know a few players and I would ask who and they would say...oh, Hingis, the Williams Sisters and Anna...Just see how popular the Belgians are I would ask...what about the current numbers one and two and the person would say I thaught that was the Williams Sisters and I would say...no, Kim and Justine and the guy would say...who are they?....Mind you...this a tennis game...:haha:

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:34 PM
i agree-- the auusi should be kickin'!!! all you australians who post here better get tickets now! monica, v, s, lindsay, kim, justine, jenn, .... should be damn good. and the men's tennis is getting more and more interesting by the day!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Actually, I think the upcoming Australian Open (if everyone who says they're going to play actually does) is going to be the most exciting women's tennis field at a major in the past 5 years. Women's tennis isn't dead- our brain synapses have been numbed from overexposure to boring baseline bashing and lack-luster matches. The all-court players are on the verge of breaking through, and I for one want to be there when it happens.

I can't wait for January to get here!

I think that we will see a lot more net rushing and touch shots even from the traditional baseliners...a lot of girls are adding variety to their game thanks again to the trail blazing sisters...:bow:

RAA
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:32 PM
I think the round robin format is much more interesting. it would have been a helluva round robin if lindsay and V&S would have been in the mix...

i, too, am looking forward to next year... maybe to see v&S but also I think that tennis just goes on and on throughout the year.. even i as a fan need a break!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:38 PM
:rolleyes:

Bovina's Man: Re: your cig, If you cant remember Venus's last slam win...maybe you will remember Bovina's? or even her last slam final? Try as I might, I just cant... :tape:

venusfan
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:07 PM
The Belgians are good for europe but does nothing for me. NO interest until the former beaded wonders are back on tour.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:23 PM
I will have to agree somewhat. Women's tennis is becoming dead. I think Justine is boring. Flat out. Others wil disagree but I will call a spade a spade.

Maybe some of us were spoiled when Martina, Lindsay, Steffi, Monica, the Williams, ASV, and Mary were all on the tour still. I felt like it was a lot of variety of players who had personalities. Their was always high drama, controversy, all peppered with competitive tennis.

Unfortunately, I think the men are starting to take over the show. It was proven at the USO this year.
The Russians just don't do anything for me at the moment. Bovina is pretty good though, but I just don't feel like they are that interesting. I like Kim but she is just does not share much with everyone , justine is boring flat out.

Of course their is an occasional match that's great, but that happens rarely. So I still love women's tennis, but I do think the fire is somewhat gone. I just feel the suspense is gone somewhat.

;)

griffin
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:28 PM
There was suspense with Venus and Serena healthy and playing well?

I know it's not ideal for women's tennis to have two of its marquee players on the shelf, but some of you are starting to sound like the people who were saying tennis was too boring because we had TOO MUCH of Venus and Serena.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:42 PM
There was suspense with Venus and Serena healthy and playing well?

I know it's not ideal for women's tennis to have two of its marquee players on the shelf, but some of you are starting to sound like the people who were saying tennis was too boring because we had TOO MUCH of Venus and Serena.

Griffin, Venus and Serena combined with other players like Hingis, Davenport, Monica, Steffi and ASV were more interesting than todays current crop.

Now Venus and Serena dominating was not as suspenseful, but they have personality at least. I do not think the tour is nothing without the sisters, their are some good players, but some of them don't have the personality. So it's not about the Williams not being on the tour for me only(of course I want them back on tour) but I realize that the time when women's tenis was flourishing somewhat is gone.

I guess what goes up must come down. ;) :)

griffin
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I'd suggest that if you don't think some of the newer unheralded players "have the personality" you (like a lot of us) haven't gotten to know them yet. They haven't been around long enough - which would put a flourish in front of us.

And I'd argue that some of those players you named feel more interesting in hindsight than they did when they were playing - forget the fact that they were never really all healthy and playing well at the same time.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:56 PM
I'd suggest that if you don't think some of the newer unheralded players "have the personality" you (like a lot of us) haven't gotten to know them yet. They haven't been around long enough - which would put a flourish in front of us.

And I'd argue that some of those players you named feel more interesting in hindsight than they did when they were playing - forget the fact that they were never really all healthy and playing well at the same time.

Well quite ALOT of them have been around "LONG ENOUGH" for me to form an opinion about them. Again, this is the way I feel about them and of course others will disagree like yourself.

And of course you are correct when you say those players I mentioned were not all healthy at the same time, but I still think they were more interesting. My opinion only, Griff. But I know you will disagree. ;) :hearts:

billie_jean_king
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Be honest, the only thing the tour needs is a comeback from me. Once that's announced every tournament will be a sell-out. And I will do it...just as soon as I can find a new grip for my wooden racquet, because there is nothing else holding me back. I'm in excellent shape, so expect me back sometime soon. If Martina can do it, so can I.