PDA

View Full Version : It's Chanda Dammit!!!!!!

Mrs. Peel
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Greetings everyone! I'm still recovering from my very LONG evening at the YEC and I wanted to share with you some of my observations. I had a great time being able to see 3 singles matches in a row with the top players. All of the matches were just great and I was so impressed with these women and their athleticism.

We got inside just when Mauresmo and Dementieva were warming up. We had great seats and we asked the usher if we could move down even further. She had no objection and basically people were sitting anywhere they wanted...lol there were plenty of seats to choose from :o Unfortunately, this led to a very strange rotation of spectators...well..behind me at least, starting of with a group of very drunk women sitting behind me :rolleyes: It was 6pm and the match just started and these women were cackling all loud, holding their cocktails, screaming out to friends during points, talking on mobiles ('put grandpa on the phone' :rolleyes: ) and carrying on during the match which had started out very nicely. The usher told them to shut up like 3 times and they seemed to get louder each time. Then a cop came and started to stare them down and right when he was about to pounce on those old Slags, they ran away...so finally silence but I had a massive excedrin headache :mad: I could have moved but our seats were :drool:

I have only seen these women play on TV and they look amazing in person. Dementieva is extremely pretty and delicate looking. Mauresmo's body is :hearts: . I was just jealous of the shape she is in. Both were so subdued dring play but as Amelie gathered momentum she showed more emotion. It was great seeing her confident, pumping her fist...the spring in her step. She had some great shots, slicing ED down at the net. I don't know why the rallies look so slow on TV but they were playing at a nice pace. ED's serve :o There were a few oooo's and ahhhh's in the audience...which would only increase during Kim and Chanda's match.

Remember what I said about the revolving seats? Well...since the departure of those drunken broads...there were a few other rotations (move your meat, lose your seat type thing) and a couple settle behind me...the man seemed very knowledgable about tennis which was a relief but....

Kim and Chanda come out and WOW...they were even more amazing to behold. Kimmie's Legs :hearts: Chanda was so beautiful! TV doesn't do any of the women justice. Did they show Joe Pesci doing the bs "cointoss ceremony", in which he decided who would chose to serve with a couple of nursey rhymes? :rolleyes: When he started I held my breath a little because at first it seemed like he would start with "Eenie Meenie, Miney, Mo..catch a :eek: :tape: any way...it wasn't cute and I think Kim wanted to strangle him.

The match begins and it is high quality. Chanda is soooooooo good but Kim is just that little bit better. Of course Kim was wowing the crowd with her splits, which started the man behind me given commentary to his date. "There she is doing the SPLITS", " That's what's she famous for the SPLITS", "She does SPLITS"
" That's what she's famous for the SPLITSSSSSSSSSSSSS" each and every freaking time Kim did the SPLITSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :mad: THe each time his date would interject..."She's gonna twist her ankle" :rolleyes: Lordy...

When Kim did that full split she left a yard long red skid mark on the back court. :o
Someone yelled "GO KIM" and in response a guy screamed back SHUT UP :lol:

Chanda is down 2-1 I think then fights back after one of the longest games of the evening. Then the woman behind me starts to scream GO CHANDRA!!!! :rolleyes: I wanted to scream, ITS CHANDA DAMMIT!!!I t was 'Come on Chandra' all night until somewhere in the 2nd set and she corrected herself. Anywho...Chanda played amazing and came up with great stuff to battle Kim, it just wasn't enough :sad: . I'm sure many of you saw it so..no need for detail? I thought it very cute when Kim won she smacked he last ball in hand directly and prescicely to a little cadre of Belgian fans in the audience. She is so sugar sweet... when hitting balls into the crowd (some she threw with the speed of a pitcher) of course she walked her last one to a toddler in the arms of his daddy awwwwwwwww :p

Next up the Myskia/Henin-Hardenne match. While waiting for them to come out, the chair ump from the 1st match Lynn Welch sits in front of us...I only mention it because at one point they put on the Village People 'YMCA' and she was trying to dance and do the hand symbols :o

THIS MATCH :banghead: I read the comments in another thread so everyone knows what happened but I will contend even more so that Myskina let herself get psyched out when H-H took that time out. Now this match began at 9:30. H-H couldn't take meds and all that stuff beforehand? Two trainers with stethescopes? DRAMA :scratch: The look on Myskina's face was CLASSIC like...are you kiddin me? Heh..well, I don't have to say anymore about that set. I still thought that Myskina played well but still :help: :banghead: OMG...she is a very infuriating player to watch...sporadic flashes of brilliance and she just couldn't close! Sooooooooooo many chances, even down to the wire. I thought she was going to win it..and then well :rolleyes: :shrug:

One weird happening during the injury time out...they put the Laker game on (which was in the first OT) on the jumbotron. By the time they got it on Justine was coming back on court and they snatched it off quickly...people started to boo :o it was rude. I was thinking..aren't we here to watch women's tennis? Throughout the evening you could hear people cheering and watching the Lakers in the Luxury suites.

We left well after midnight and I am surprised I'm not a wreck this morning. I'm ready for another long night this evening :unsure: :p :bounce: I haven't seen any tennis for so long and then to get three good matches in one sitting :smash:

I'm sorry there isn't much match analysis...I've never written a synopsis before. Hope you enjoyed my pithy observations :wavey: If you have any questions... :)

Hawk
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Wow great report! :D Thanks :kiss:

lol @ the annoying people in the crowd :o Who is it that does the splits? :scratch: :p

I agree with you about all the players looking much better in person ;)

Hope you have a blast tonight again! :D Can't wait for the report :)

psst..Cheer for Kimmie! :angel: ;)

daustin
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:05 PM
MrsPeel---that was a cute synopsis :yeah: Made me :haha: :haha: :haha: ---I am going tonight. I don't know if I can be as creative.

Lady
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Great report, really funny!!!

Libertango
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Nice report :)

I'm glad you realise Chanda is even more beautiful in person! :p :kiss:

for-sure
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Chandra lol

AT one event people were yelling Emelie! Emelie! at Amlie :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hagar
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Great stuff, Mrs Peel. Reminds me that I haven't seen a life match since January (when I had a great overdose with Sydney and the Australian).
Oh yes, the ladies all look beautiful and the tennis is more impressive than on TV. I just keep waiting for the retakes of the great shots every time!

Tratree
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Mrs. Peel, I wasn't there last night but I must of heard about 358 cheers of "Go Chandra" on Wednesday night. It's very annoying....especially since the announcer SAYS HER NAME when she comes out and the fact there is clearly NO "R" in her first name, lol. Geez. /rant

We should have a great night of tennis tonight, huh? I'm so pumped for it. Have fun!

Hawk
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Great stuff, Mrs Peel. Reminds me that I haven't seen a life match since January (when I had a great overdose with Sydney and the Australian).
Oh yes, the ladies all look beautiful and the tennis is more impressive than on TV. I just keep waiting for the retakes of the great shots every time!

I agree with that. What they do looks so much more impressive in person than on tv :worship:

Mrs. Peel
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Mrs. Peel, I wasn't there last night but I must of heard about 358 cheers of "Go Chandra" on Wednesday night. It's very annoying....especially since the announcer SAYS HER NAME when she comes out and the fact there is clearly NO "R" in her first name, lol. Geez. /rant

We should have a great night of tennis tonight, huh? I'm so pumped for it. Have fun!

So true! The announcer clearly says her name several times without an "R"...it is grating to hear it mispronounced!

I'm amped for tonight as well...I really want to see Capriati play. Will you be taking photographs?

Sonja
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Great report Mrs. Peel! Thanks for sharing with us.

E. Blackadder
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:30 PM
One of the best reports I've ever read! Excellent work :D

canoe.
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:38 PM
:lol: Great review!Looking forward to your analysis on tonights matches.The bit about the "fans" in the suites watching basketball only reinforces the opinion that tennis or this event has noooo business being in LA.WTA, move this thing...FAST!

lee station
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Wow! Thanks for the comments! Watched the 3 matches on Eurosport, the whole thing did last from like 3 to 8 in the frickin morning!!! I liked Chanda's serious look and the way she played -- IIRC she dominated the beginning of the 2nd set... Cool Rubin! :yeah:

Tratree
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:43 PM
So true! The announcer clearly says her name several times without an "R"...it is grating to hear it mispronounced!

I'm amped for tonight as well...I really want to see Capriati play. Will you be taking photographs?
Yep, I'll be down there shooting away. If it gets too exciting I may have to put the camera away and get in the stands and cheer ;)

jmp
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Peel
One weird happening during the injury time out...they put the Laker game on (which was in the first OT) on the jumbotron. By the time they got it on Justine was coming back on court and they snatched it off quickly...people started to boo it was rude. I was thinking..aren't we here to watch women's tennis? Throughout the evening you could hear people cheering and watching the Lakers in the Luxury suites.

I'm glad you explained this. I heard the crowd booing and I thought they were booing Justine for the medical time out. :eek:

Mrs. Peel, that was one fantastic report! You're a great writer. I felt like I was really there with the drunks and Mr. SPLITSSSSS. ;) Go Chandra Go! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :) :)

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:24 PM
"Chandra." :rolleyes:

People are so stupid.

*JR*
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:32 PM
"Chandra." :rolleyes:

People are so stupid.
Not only do I say "Shonda", so does Jerry Simmons, her fellow Louisiana native, tennis coach @ the state univ. there for 17 years, and the JS in http://www.jstennis.com, her junior program. (Hey, do oi tell yoo 'ow ta speek Oz-stralyan)! :p

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:35 PM
But you don't say "Shondra".

-Sonic-
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I personally love your use of smilies.... just great :D

Brian Stewart
Nov 8th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the report, Mrs. Peel! It's almost like being there.

And as bad as it is for casual fans to screw up her name, it's unforgivable for the news services to continue to do it.

And why do some announcers mispronounce her name as "chawn-da", yet they don't refer to Roddick as "awn-dy"?

As she, herself, has said, "It's 'Chanda'; rhymes with 'Panda'."

Looking forward to more reports. And the good news is, at this tourney, you won't hear anyone commenting on the "Bye" sisters.

Chance
Nov 8th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mrs Peel for the GREAT report :D

geoepee
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM
yes! Great report! I enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next one ;)