PDA

View Full Version : ITF Announces Junior Rankings will be Combined Singles/Doubles from 2004

JonBcn
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Interesting; from a press release just now...

The ITF Board of Directors have approved the introduction of a combined singles and doubles junior world ranking with effect from 1st January 2004. The Combined Junior Ranking will replace the Junior Singles and Junior Doubles Rankings and will be the sole junior ranking published by the ITF.
The introduction of the Combined Junior Ranking aims to encourage the doubles game at junior level and subsequently at professional level. It is also believed that it will encourage a more rounded game among junior
players.
Experiments carried out during the last year by the ITF show that, in general, the best singles players will remain at the top of the Combined Ranking. However, the importance of the doubles points will become
evident when two players have the same or similar singles points totals; in this case the player who has achieved better doubles results will be ranked higher. Therefore a player who does not participate in any
doubles events will be at an automatic disadvantage.
“I am delighted that the Board of Directors have approved this ground breaking initiative. The ITF is a strong supporter of doubles competition and believes that doubles experience is a vital ingredient in a player’s
development,” said ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti.
USTA President and ITF Vice-President Alan Schwartz commented, “I am delighted with the leadership shown by the International Tennis Federation in creating a single unified junior ranking that recognises both singles and doubles results. This is a part of an on-going effort to encourage more doubles play.”
Ivo Van Aken, Belgium Fed Cup Captain and member of the ITF Coaches Commission member said, ”Juniors are playing better tennis than ever and I’m sure that ‘The Combined Junior Ranking’ will provide the
professional game of the future with more complete tennis players. Playing doubles has a very positive influence on the development of serve, return, approach shot, net game and passing shots, all of which are vital for players hoping to make it in the professional game.”

How will it work?
A player’s ranking will be calculated using the best six singles results
plus one quarter (25%) of the best six doubles results. For example:
Player X:
Best 6 Singles results = 950 points
Best 6 Doubles results = 880 points
One quarter of 880 = 220 pionts
950 + 220 = 1170 = Combined Ranking points totalPlayers will still receive bonus points for winning three Grade A events. Bonus points for singles will be given in addition to a player’s six singles results. Doubles bonus points will be given in addition to a player’s best six
doubles results, with one quarter of the overall total counting towards the Combined Ranking points total.

The first Combined Junior Ranking will be issued on 5 January 2004. The rankings will continue to be calculated on a rollover basis, taking into account the past 52 week’s results from the ITF Junior Circuit. The rankings on 5 January will include results from Mexico (Grade A) which will be first event to be completed from the 2004 ITF Junior Circuit.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:11 AM
interesting move........
i'm not all for it though
still think the two should be sepatate.

but it i dont think it will catch on the main tour.

thanx Jon :)

JonBcn
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Could you imagine the uproar if the main tours did it? :eek: (not that they will)

I'm not sure to be honest. I think a trial year is necessary to see whether it works out. But I agree that it should encourage kids to play doubles and if that helps round their games, then good.

matthias
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:24 AM
don´t like it

martinafan
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:53 PM
i REALLY like this idea! :)

I've wanted a combined ranking like this for quite a while...and if it does encourage players to partake in doubles then even better! :)

It is quite a shame how few top players do play doubles regularly these days :(