PDA

View Full Version : Hingis: Henin's backhand could be her weakness

Fedcup
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Hingis said on Eurosport that she thinks Henin backhand is the weakest part. She said players should be more attacking her backhand. Because she feels Justine needs time when she use her backhand. When you play fast at it it breaks down.

IMO I don't agree with Hingis. I just feel when she is attacked on her backhand she has a great defensive slize.
So I don't think this will be the key to defeat Justine.

Chance
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Yep I agree with her... actually that's what Venus does when she plays against Justine.

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:21 AM
thats a very true comment by Hingis. U watch when Justine plays Serena and Venus and other power hitters .... If they drill the backhand of Henin, you see Henin make the errors and jacknife/fall backwards and be off balance when she comes in contact with the ball. The backhand just falls apart when attacked.

Sam L
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Yep I agree with her... actually that's what Venus does when she plays against Justine.
Yep

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Agreed, it is an excellent shot but a bit overated. Her forehand is better IMO.

Martina :hearts: , can't wait until u come and commentate down under :worship: :hug:

Legends
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Well done Hingis :worship: :worship: :worship:
At least some proper analysis. I have not heard any of the current commentators identify how to play Henin. Preferential treatment or what? With all this talk about who is better of the four, the commentators seem to have lost perspective.
It should not just be a case of picking on Venus and Serena(even in their absence) but a case of analysing the game of the most dominant player at the time and coming up with the ideas for other players who want to win against her – at the moment the dominant players happen to be Henin (Serena & Clijsters to a lesser degree).

In the past Henin herself has been quoted as saying her forehand is her best shot. Yet the commentators can’t seem to get this. Time and time again you hear commentators puzzling because of the errors coming off the Henin’s backhand (when she plays a power players) or because most of the winners in matches played come from the forehand. Listening to them I am like “hello, do you guys actually listen to the players when they speak..…. I think not”.

They love her backhand so automatically it must be her best shot :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And who says all ex-tennis players turned tennis commentators are smart?

Again kudos to Hingis for her insight.

(And also Venus for already figuring Henin out :worship: :worship: :worship: ).

skanky~skanketta
that 3as waaaaay back then people. now her backhand doesnt require much time anymore.

switz
yeah i have to agree. on clay it's good, but anywhere else i think she makes a lot of errors of it when pressured, but people just get mesmerised by a couple of brillliant shots because it is such a fluid stroke

jenny161185
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM
ahh Martina I wish you could come back and attack it1 such a clever girl :)

fleemkeģ
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Martina also said tha Kim her strongest point is her power but that it also is her weakest point. She said that she would pllay with a lot af variation, making angles so Kim wouldn't be able to produce big hitters ;)

Martina also said that you can see the backhand thing of Justine when she runs for a fh-shot after the ball is played on the bh-site (lol don't know the exact English words for this lol I hope it makes any sence .. if not .. to bad :p)

Katrien
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Martina also said tha Kim her strongest point is her power but that it also is her weakest point. She said that she would pllay with a lot af variation, making angles so Kim wouldn't be able to produce big hitters ;)

What does this have to do with the fact that Hingis said Henin's backhand could be her weakness :confused:

Juju #1
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Who cares what Hingis says. She didn't win GS in 4 years and 9 months...

Alan
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:30 PM
hingis , what an insight! now thats why eurosport took her in as a commentator, it's nice to hear someone talk about tennis like they really know it

fleemkeģ
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:46 PM

What does this have to do with the fact that Hingis said Henin's backhand could be her weakness :confused:

euhm I just wanted to add something Martina said :confused: for the record she also said she was a fan of Myskina's game and thinks Chanda is the most underestimated player :)

Lady
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:59 PM
She also said that Myskina has no weakness ;)

Hagar
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Martina also said that you can see the backhand thing of Justine when she runs for a fh-shot after the ball is played on the bh-site (lol don't know the exact English words for this lol I hope it makes any sence .. if not .. to bad :p)

Well, IMHO, Kim is able to generate power even on balls that do not come with a lot of power. And that is where her power is an advantage.
It sounds like Martina hasn't played Kim for some time... And Kim can play with a lot of variation as well. I still think that Kim's losses to Justine have more to do with lapses in concentration and a lack of determination rather than with Justine being the better player.

As for Justine's backhand, I find it rather unorthodox because she is often very close to the ball. For a technically perfect backhand, one should be further away from the ball. Guga does the same BTW. Both him and Justine get away with it because they are very light-feeted and have excellent movement. The disadvantage is that if you are tired and less mobile, errors come creeping in.

Experimentee
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:08 PM
I agree with her. I think a lot of the time Henins backhand is inconsistent. People just like her backhand bc its one handed and it looks good but her forehand is better and more consistent imo.

Smart
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Backhand is the weapon of Justine. Forehand is good but it is still the forehand which collapses if you have to make a comparison with those strokes.

Experimentee
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM
I hope its true that Hingis will commentate for Channel 7's AO coverage. I look forward to hearing her comments next year. :worship:

griffin
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:22 PM
I thought Hingis was too happy with her life away from tennis to bother with such things as commentating? ;)

I think people just make more out of Juju's backhand because one-handers are unusual. It's a solid stroke, but to hear some commentators, you'd think it's the Hand of God at work every time she uses it.

JustineTime
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Hingis: Please don't win more than 5 slams, Justine! :sad:

RAA
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:46 PM
I thought Hingis was too happy with her life away from tennis to bother with such things as commentating? ;)

I think people just make more out of Juju's backhand because one-handers are unusual. It's a solid stroke, but to hear some commentators, you'd think it's the Hand of God at work every time she uses it.

:lol: :lol:

Fingon
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:49 PM
she is wrong. Martina was the smartest player on court, but by instinct not by an intimate knowledge of the game.

She judges based on assumptions and a very fashionable concept that you have to say something original, oppossed to everyone else's point of view, then you look clever.

The idea that her backhand needs more time is bullshit, that's simply not true, Chris Evert made the same mistake because she spoke of what "she" considered to be a one-handed backhand, not the actual shot. Justine actually has some of her best backhand shots on the run and has very little backswing.

And about those who say her forehand is better and she hits more winners off it (including Justine herself) :bs: , I have actually paid attention to that she she DOES NOT hit more winners off the forehand side, quite the opposite, in fact, all they say about her backhand is true about her forehand, she has too much of a backswing and is more error prone.

I didn't see Justine's last match against Venus but I thought that Venus's tactic was to attack her forehand :confused: and also she gave that advice to Serena,

never mind, facts be dammed as long as we can sound witt

Next time we can say the pentagon's weakness is the US Air Force, would sound good wouldn't it?, we found a weakness where everyone else thinks there is a strenght.

:bs:

Lady
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:50 PM
I would like to get your commentators :) To hear someone praising Justine's backhand would be great!!
Russian commentator is not so exited about Justine, he's in touch with all Russian players after all ;)

SerialKiller#69
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:50 PM
I agree. Justine's backhand is a pretty thing to behold but I've seen a lot of times the big girls pound and pound to her backhand until it breaks down.

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Martina is right, and tonight's match proved it.
Justine's backhand can be very off, espcially when she going backwards hitting it.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Yep....if you hit hard and deep in her backhand side, she gets easily jammed.

j_dementieva27
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:13 PM
i very much agree with martina on this

if you watch some of the bigger matches of this year, when given time, her backhand could either be lethal or go wide by five feet

let alone if she has no time, she barely whipps it back setting up a big hit for her opponent

imo, justine spent so much time focusing on improving her forehand that she took her backhand for granted... she didnt think it was a problem so she forget it and devolped her game ... everything but further improving her backhand... now look at her.. she hits almost twice aws many forehand winners than backhand

when it is on... her backhand is one of my favorite shots to watch, however

----

and about clijsters... im 50/50 about martina's comment... chanda tried to mix it up desperately last night and it made for a great first set... but you tend to forget your orignal game plane[and that is exactly what chanda did]... but also if you look at the other end of the spectrum, you cannot expect to simply overpower clijsters [like my poor dementieva tried to]

but anyway.. i would say martina is pretty on target with her justine comment

-cata-
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Who cares what Hingis says. She didn't win GS in 4 years and 9 months...

I don't think that a good fact....even if Martina didn't win slams in 5 years she's one of the smartest players on the tour....you got to give credit to her opinion. What a better opinion then the one coming from a person that was involve in all the show...

the JenCA/Justine match shows that Hingis couldn't be more right...

maximus82
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:26 PM
She also said that Myskina has no weakness ;)

...errr.....I thought she went on to say after that that Myskina suffered from the Russian forehand as well - that it tended to break down on pressure points - and, hence, that it was a weakness.

And, given that in the last game of henin-myskina last night, Myskina made 3 UE off her forehand, it seems that the Swiss Miss was dead on.

:wavey: Martina :wavey:

xr6turbo
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM

So true, especially in the AO semi this year. Venus was absolutely pounding Juju's 'pretty' backhand until it broke down.

moby
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:50 PM

as usual martina is right.

justine's forehand is indeed her better shot. it is true it has the tendency to breakdown more, and is not as natural a shot for her as her backhand. when justine's game is off, it's the backhand that rescues her, cause for her it's such an instinctive shot. but most of her matches, she's on her game, and the forehand does not break down. it is the backhand that is the weakness then and when jammed, she ends up shorthopping the ball and setting up an easy winner for the opponent.

as for kim, the point of making angles is to cut down kim's window of error. the main weakness of kim's game imo, is that she still has some trouble tempering her power and she can miss when there is little margin for error and she's on the run.

TonyP
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:50 PM
I think what Martina is saying is that Justine's backhand can break down easier than her forehand and she is correct.

That's not so say it isn't a great backhand, only that you have to pick a shot to attack and the chances of her backhand failing are higher, because it is obviously a more difficult shot.

Justine's backhand has drawn such praise because it is beautiful to watch. But that does not mean that it is not attackable, which it is.

Listen to Martina. Finally, someone in the broadcast booth aside from Navratilova who knows what she's talking about.

justine&coria
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Every Martina's fans would say she's right : i don't know why, because her statements have nothing to do with her playing tennis.

Anyway, I think that before this year, it probably was the case ! But, now, i don't think it is.
Of course, when you play a very powerful and well-placed shot (and if you take her by surprise), you'll probably cause her some problems on her backhand, but I don't think that her backhand is a weak point!
I remember some points, when Justine cut her backhand "preparation" off, because she was taken short, but hit some very good points!
I definitely don't agree with Hingis.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Her backhand is her weakness: because it is a SET-UP stroke for the forehand. She uses it the open up the court.....but when you jam her backhand, you negate her forehand as well.

Of course not everybody has the game to do this, but watch her play a williams. They constantly jam up her backhand and thus she has trouble setting-up winners.

Daniel
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Martina :worship: :kiss:

DA FOREHAND
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:20 PM
thats a very true comment by Hingis. U watch when Justine plays Serena and Venus and other power hitters .... If they drill the backhand of Henin, you see Henin make the errors and jacknife/fall backwards and be off balance when she comes in contact with the ball. The backhand just falls apart when attacked.

bingo!!

That's one of the ways Venus stomps her out. She overpowers justine's backhand side, pushing her off the baseline and eliciting that falling down steps noise(hi-pitched ugh!) justine makes when she's pushed. :wavey:

Venus Williams has the best backhand in womens tennis

DA FOREHAND
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Every Martina's fans would say she's right : i don't know why, because her statements have nothing to do with her playing tennis.

Anyway, I think that before this year, it probably was the case ! But, now, i don't think it is.
Of course, when you play a very powerful and well-placed shot (and if you take her by surprise), you'll probably cause her some problems on her backhand, but I don't think that her backhand is a weak point!
I remember some points, when Justine cut her backhand "preparation" off, because she was taken short, but hit some very good points!
I definitely don't agree with Hingis.

b.s....Even Jennifer used the jamming play against the so called new and improved justine at the us open .

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:26 PM
bingo!!

That's one of the ways Venus stomps her out. She overpowers justine's backhand side, pushing her off the baseline and eliciting that falling down steps noise(hi-pitched ugh!) justine makes when she's pushed. :wavey:

No kidding!

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:27 PM
b.s....Even Jennifer used the jamming play against the so called new and improved justine at the us open .

Exactly and thatīs why she was in a winning position. When she stopped doing that, she lost.

Knizzle
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Hingis is right on the money. Attack that backhand consistenly deep and Juju is crippled. I was just watching Venus break it down at the Wimby 2002 semi yesterday. More people should realize this.

for-sure
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:42 PM
I also remember Martina playing the Williams (Down the middle, waiting for errors) She had a lot of success with that tactic. :rolleyes:

I also want to hear what Martina has to say about 'how to beat Jenn' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Martina, the clown of the WTA :lol: :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape:

Justine's backhand is great, just because she hits a couple errors off it when she's rushed, doesn't mean shit.

Let me remind you that...
a.She has a 2-1 record against Serena (what happened to attacking the backhand :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
b.Had only lost to a hanfull of players this year (never twice in a row :eek: :lol: :drool: --Serena take note)
c.has won 2 slams.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I also remember Martina playing the Williams (Down the middle, waiting for errors) She had a lot of success with that tactic. :rolleyes:

I also want to hear what Martina has to say about 'how to beat Jenn' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Justine's backhand is great, just because she hits a couple errors off it when she's rushed, doesn't mean shit.

a.She has a 2-1 record against Serena (what happened to attacking the backhand :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
b.Had only lost to a hanfull of players this year (never twice in a row :eek: :lol: :drool: --Serena take note)
c.has won 2 slams.

No there is dumb and there is STUPID! That is what it is: tactics!! And tactics wonīt work all the time. Yeah she beat Serena...but everyone knows that clay is a slow surface, so the jamming tactic wonīt be as effective....because the balls slows down on clay and then Justineīs backhand becomes a strength.

But the faster the surface the less effective it becomes and the easier it is to jam.

for-sure
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Hingis

Can't wait for her to comment on JCap :lol: :lol:

WF4EVER
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Everyone talks about Justine's backhand because it's an uncommon shot among the women nowadays. I mean, Amelie also has a one-handed backhand but it just doesn't command the awe that Justine's seems to.

As far as weak shots are concerned I'm of the opinion that it's persistent pressure on your shot that causes it to eventually weaken. Case in point, Venus' forehand. I'm so tired of hearing Pam and MAry Joe say "The forehand 'can' break down" that it's sickening.

I've always thought that a combination of pressure and some weariness can cause anybody's shot to wear down in a match, but some people keep trusting in it til it succeeds in making the shots they want. Venus, for instance, no matter how much that forehand breaks down will keep hitting it until she gets it right again. I think Justine does the same thing with her backhand. Whether she believes in her forehand as her better shot is entirely up to her; she'll probably have more confidence hitting it.

maximus82
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Hingis

Can't wait for her to comment on JCap :lol: :lol:

:rolleyes:

Mister B
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I also agree with Hingis, I saw Aus Open semis and I'm sure she saw it too...

I also think Venus has the best backhand, I watched her match against Martina in US 2000 and it was pretty effective... especially when she was 2 points from losing and she did one superb... I know I'm off-track, but that was certainly the best match I've seen..

jenny161185
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Its not as if Hingis is taking a jab at Justine shes just giving her opinion on her weakness' - heck everyone has weakness' no need to get so angry.

Knizzle
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM

c.has won 2 slams.

Last time I checked Juju was 3-5 against Serena. Serena doesn't attack her backhand enough though.

tennisluver99
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Don't worry, that won't happen. Justine will end her career with 3-4 slams.

Linzi
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Martina could make a career out of this. Talks alot of sense. I know she's my fav player but she's got an amazing tennis brain. Too bad she aint out there, then maybe i might get excited. Martina :worship:

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Yeah and of course the 204 weeks at no.1, tier Ititles on all surfaces, etc...beating the Williamses on all surfaces and this and that.

Waayyss to go Juju and will she even win 5 slams?!

Lady
Everyone talks about Justine's backhand because it's an uncommon shot among the women nowadays. I mean, Amelie also has a one-handed backhand but it just doesn't command the awe that Justine's seems to.

As far as weak shots are concerned I'm of the opinion that it's persistent pressure on your shot that causes it to eventually weaken. Case in point, Venus' forehand. I'm so tired of hearing Pam and MAry Joe say "The forehand 'can' break down" that it's sickening.

I've always thought that a combination of pressure and some weariness can cause anybody's shot to wear down in a match, but some people keep trusting in it til it succeeds in making the shots they want. Venus, for instance, no matter how much that forehand breaks down will keep hitting it until she gets it right again. I think Justine does the same thing with her backhand. Whether she believes in her forehand as her better shot is entirely up to her; she'll probably have more confidence hitting it.

Really agree with you :D You expressed my thoughts so well

Linzi
Don't worry, that won't happen. Justine will end her career with 3-4 slams.
I thin she'll win a couple more RGs. Not sure about the rest.

Linzi
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Yeah and of course the 204 weeks at no.1, tier Ititles on all surfaces, etc...beating the Williamses on all surfaces and this and that.

Waayyss to go Juju and will she even win 5 slams?!
Exaclty Martina actually competed with the WS on all surfaces. Justine had one good yr when she was very lucky to win the open and cheated at the french. Justine will never match Hingis' career - ill bet money on it. Not if the Williams stay fit and Kim gets her act togehter.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Martina is qualified to give these type of assesments. I would rather her commentate than Pam. She has experience playing these players and she knows what will work and what won't work.

She knows that Justine's one handed backhand can break down on fast surfaces under pressure. Venus has been doing this for a while, but all you hear is how fluid her backhand is from the commentators. It's fluid but I even noticed Serena started drilling into Henin's backhand at Wimby and the shot started going wild.

It's a tactic that others should use. Good analysis Hingis. :)

Frank Riley
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Lets get real Justine has the best backhand in the WTA right now, the reason it is being talked about is because it is so good and because she is the best. Venus can not take Justine and Hingis is done so please lets be real, there is nothing wrong with Justine's back hand, its amazing, is it better than her forehand, is anyones backhand better than their forhand. (I don't think so) Justine is amazing :worship:

And yes I have talked to her and watched her play so stop all this silly talk. :angel:

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Exaclty Martina actually competed with the WS on all surfaces. Justine had one good yr when she was very lucky to win the open and cheated at the french. Justine will never match Hingis' career - ill bet money on it. Not if the Williams stay fit and Kim gets her act togehter.

True that! Healthy Williamses= Justine only treat at one slams: RG. Period! Look at her semiīs against the Williamses at non-clay slams: couldnīt take a single set....thatīs why to me she was lucky there wasnīt any Williams at the Open.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Lets get real Justine has the best backhand in the WTA right now, the reason it is being talked about is because it is so good and because she is the best. Venus can not take Justine and Hingis is done so please lets be real, there is nothing wrong with Justine's back hand, its amazing, is it better than her forehand, is anyones backhand better than their forhand. (I don't think so) Justine is amazing :worship:

And yes I have talked to her and watched her play so stop all this silly talk. :angel:

Really watch ī02 wimbledon semi and weīll talk again whoīs the best backhand.

Lady
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:00 PM
So Justine is the second best, still no weak then.

justine&coria
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:01 PM
(I'm gonna say what i almost said in another thread)

It's funny cause you're talking about Venus, who is supposed to be one of the most powerful players:
Of course, Venus can attack in a very great way Justine's backhand (but it's not only Justine's case). When Serena keeps on attacking Venus' forehand in a match, do you say Venus' forehand is her weakest point !
Second, in many of those points you're talking about, Venus moreover surprised Justine by playing her backhand (with the power, it's a lot more difficult to return correctly)

Anyway, if you watch Justine's last matches (the good ones), you could see that Justine is not afraid of power as before : i saw her for example attack a very difficult and powerful point against Kim, which she wouldn't do before (almost the same on the match point against Zvonareva, though the ball she had was less powerful). Another point, was in her match against Bartoli: Bartoli was at the net, and hitting hard on Justine's backhand : Justine had some very good and powerful bakhands on that point.
Before, Justine used to slow the ball, to slice a lot, almost every time she was in danger. It's not really the case now!

Linzi
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:01 PM
No-one is saying Henin's backhand is bad...its just when she has power placed onto it, it really isnt all that. I reckon the forehand can handle the power more. Venus can defend and attack with it equally well.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:10 PM
(I'm gonna say what i almost said in another thread)

It's funny cause you're talking about Venus, who is supposed to be one of the most powerful players:
Of course, Venus can attack in a very great way Justine's backhand (but it's not only Justine's case). When Serena keeps on attacking Venus' forehand in a match, do you say Venus' forehand is her weakest point !
Second, in many of those points you're talking about, Venus moreover surprised Justine by playing her backhand (with the power, it's a lot more difficult to return correctly)

Anyway, if you watch Justine's last matches (the good ones), you could see that Justine is not afraid of power as before : i saw her for example attack a very difficult and powerful point against Kim, which she wouldn't do before (almost the same on the match point against Zvonareva, though the ball she had was less powerful). Another point, was in her match against Bartoli: Bartoli was at the net, and hitting hard on Justine's backhand : Justine had some very good and powerful bakhands on that point.
Before, Justine used to slow the ball, to slice a lot, almost every time she was in danger. It's not really the case now!

It is good, but it is not the BEST, in that it is unattackable. With Venus the more you hit to her backhand, the more she likes it.

Frank Riley
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:14 PM
bandabou the problem with comparing 2002 and 2003 is that Justine got so much better in 2003 she was not as good in 2002. Justine at the current time is better than Serena and everyone else. Justine would have taken Serena at the 2003 US Open trust me.

Justine is number 1 :worship:

Filip!
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:15 PM
True that! Healthy Williamses= Justine only treat at one slams: RG. Period! Look at her semiīs against the Williamses at non-clay slams: couldnīt take a single set....thatīs why to me she was lucky there wasnīt any Williams at the Open.

Can this finally stop please?

You are ALWAYS talking about the Williams-sisters! It's very easy:
- the Williams-sisters aren't fit enough to play right now
- a part of the job is to try to stay injury-free, it's sports after all
- a part of the job is to play very consistent during a lot of tournaments and not just only one tournament here and maybe one tournament there

Even 10 years after Serena and Venus' retirement, you'll still be comparing everything over and over again with them! If they want to be better: OK for me, but if they want to show the world that they're better: PLAY! Justine was able to have a non-stop great year this year! When will the Williams-sisters show us the same, week after week? That 's what the crowd wants!

Frank Riley
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Important point Jen lost against a better tennis player.

justine&coria
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:17 PM
No-one is saying Henin's backhand is bad...its just when she has power placed onto it, it really isnt all that. I reckon the forehand can handle the power more. Venus can defend and attack with it equally well.

I understand your reaction:you're a fan of Martina!

Anyway, I think too that her forehand can handle the power more, but it's the case for almost every players.
For example (though i'm not really talking about defending), Serena has a lot more effective forehand than backhand !

Frank Riley
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:17 PM
No one is better than Justine this year, flat out fact only one major player has taken her and that was Kim one time.

justine&coria
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM
It is good, but it is not the BEST, in that it is unattackable. With Venus the more you hit to her backhand, the more she likes it.

Ah yes, of course. You're right, Venus never fails in her backhand especially when you hit hard.
Then , you've got a tip for Venus the next time she plays serena in order not to lose again : always try to hit backhands and backhands !!! Then Venus'll win !

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Can this finally stop please?

You are ALWAYS talking about the Williams-sisters! It's very easy:
- the Williams-sisters aren't fit enough to play right now
- a part of the job is to try to stay injury-free, it's sports after all
- a part of the job is to play very consistent during a lot of tournaments and not just only one tournament here and maybe one tournament there

Even 10 years after Serena and Venus' retirement, you'll still be comparing everything over and over again with them! If they want to be better: OK for me, but if they want to show the world that they're better: PLAY! Justine was able to have a non-stop great year this year! When will the Williams-sisters show us the same, week after week? That 's what the crowd wants!

Not really. I didnīt say anything and compared anything....but Justine doesnīt have the best backhand on tour. It is different, nice looking et al...but it isnīt the MOST EFFECTIVE one. Why is that so hard to see?!

About the Williamses: When they win, it is boring and it is because they are too powerful. But when Justine wins, it is good, she has a big heart, she is talented and blah blah. Eventhough she has spent countless hours in the gym herself this year.

Justine had a great year, better than anyone else. I have no problem saying that. Williams or non Williams...simple. It is the other fans that are biased and can see things only one way. If someone had a better year than Serena or Venus, Iīll say that. No problem.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Ah yes, of course. You're right, Venus never fails in her backhand especially when you hit hard.
Then , you've got a tip for Venus the next time she plays serena in order not to lose again : always try to hit backhands and backhands !!! Then Venus'll win !

Yeah....but it ainīt only ONE player that is playing. Serena knows that she canīt go backhand to backhand with Venus, thatīs why she attacks the forehand of Venus. Re-watch Oz final of this year. They all were playing to their strengths......Venus was SMOKING Serena in backhand rallies and Serena was smoking Venus in the forehand rallies...in the end Serena was able to hand just enough in the backhand rallies to win.

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:55 PM
bandabou the problem with comparing 2002 and 2003 is that Justine got so much better in 2003 she was not as good in 2002. Justine at the current time is better than Serena and everyone else. Justine would have taken Serena at the 2003 US Open trust me.

Justine is number 1 :worship:

Justine IS no.1 this year! Simple and period. But when I say that Justine profited from the absence of Serena and Venus, the Juju-fans feel slighted. Justine has improved obviously....but enough to take two sets off Serena or Venus on hardcourts when she hasnīt taken a single set off Serena and only two against Venus in the past on non-clay surfaces?! I donīt think so. That doesnīt take away that Justine played well and deserved her win at the Open.

for-sure
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:58 PM
:lol: Funny how Hingis is talking about hard deep shots! :lol:

Linzi
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Not funny AT ALL :fiery:

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Not funny AT ALL :fiery:

You tell them!

justine&coria
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Yeah....but it ainīt only ONE player that is playing. Serena knows that she canīt go backhand to backhand with Venus, thatīs why she attacks the forehand of Venus. Re-watch Oz final of this year. They all were playing to their strengths......Venus was SMOKING Serena in backhand rallies and Serena was smoking Venus in the forehand rallies...in the end Serena was able to hand just enough in the backhand rallies to win.

No one (except Frank riley :o ) is saying Justine has the best backhand or the most effective .
Anyway, Serena can't go backhand to backhand against Venus : does this mean Serena's backhand is weak : that's what many people are saying here !!

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:01 PM
No one (except Frank riley :o ) is saying Justine has the best backhand or the most effective .
Anyway, Serena can't go backhand to backhand against Venus : does this mean Serena's backhand is weak : that's what many people are saying here !!

Compared to Venusīs?! Yes...but it is all relative of course.

persond
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Backhand is the weapon of Justine. Forehand is good but it is still the forehand which collapses if you have to make a comparison with those strokes.

It is a "weapon" ONLY when she has time to set up for the shot...otherwise, Hingis was spot on...!!!

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Exactly.....if she doesnīt get the time to set-up, it is a liability.

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:40 PM
bingo!!

:bounce: I agree :worship:

franny
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:26 AM
People, Hingis is right because the one handed backhand is a shot that takes much MUCH more time to get ready for then the two hander. That reason alone is why Justine's weakness is her backhand. Yes, she can slice it, but that is still a weaker shot then lets say her power shot coming off the forehand. Hingis is comparing Henin's backhand to her forehand, which is the more powerful of the two shots and the one where she doens't take as much time on. Henin fans, I'm a henin fan myself but you guys dont' have to defend her and say that every shot of hers is excellent and perfect. No one disagrees that Henin has an excellent backhand, but when playing her, if given an option to play the backhand more or the forehand more, certainly the backhand would be the choice of most. Don't you agree? Or would you rather attack the forehand? The shot that provides for most of her winners and the shot where she doesnt' need much time to get ready for?

tennisfun
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:56 AM
No one is better than Justine this year, flat out fact only one major player has taken her and that was Kim one time.
But everyone knows how Justin won that French open title. She is the biggest cheater, whore and slut in the world.

Rothes
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:01 AM

It's also quite funny how Hingis Backhand is just as good as Justines to many many people.

BasicTennis
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:01 AM
If backhand is Justine's strongest weapon then we may not be seeing her run around her backhand.

It cannot be denied though that her backhand produces the best shot in her game but certainly not her stongest weapon and Hingis is certainly right.;)

mishar
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM
I noticed tonight that Amelie was constantly attacking Justine's backhand until she could force an error. JH has got a beautiful stroke, and it's basically reliable, but if she doesn't have time to move out of the way, or if the ball is high-bouncing and spins at her, she starts to make errors.

sunnysideup
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM
backhand will always be everyone's weakness.:)

moby
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM
except venus and martina...

anyone else?

TartarVicario
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:52 AM
I agree with Kingis :worship: .I'm always thinking that her B-Hand is a weakest part < esp. when she had to run , she hardly did anything unless sliced it :devil: >.Then U can see she always hitting forehand in stead of backhand :) .

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Justine's backhand looks like a knife; but it isn't
100%. I don't think it ever was...it just looks
fantastic; but this is why she improved her
forehand and the serve. The backhand is her
trademark, copyright shot ;but it's not as
consistent as Amelie's. It's by no means a weak
shot; but like most grand slam champions they
tend to do everything slightly better and at the
right moments than other opponents.

go hingis
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:23 AM
First of all, some people.

If I could give you rep points Franny, I would, but they tell me I got to share the love.

Some people, I don't care if you agree or disagree with Martina, but what's with all the baby shit and dumb ass comments, she's not playing anymore, my favs the best and that's that etc.

I loved reading everyone elses opinions, some agreed some disagreed. Overall some great points, It was really great reading people's comments, especially when so many of you have good reasons to your arguments.

I do remember Martina saying something along the lines of a onehanded backhand being a disadvantage years ago.

Off topic, skip to the next post if your not interested., way off topic. I was reading Martina interview after her wimbledon win, she has some nice complenting comments, something we don't see so much on tour today.

"But she just was really all over the net, and she served very well. She just didn't give me enough space for the returns, and I was like pretty in shock in the first set, because she returned well, and she was straight into the net, so that was pretty hard."

"Then I felt like a beginner out there in the first set. She just was the leader in this match."

"She just went everywhere, and especially at the net, all these little drop shots she made. I was like surprised, wow, that is a great ball"

What was going through your mind when you were going around and saluting the crowd?
A. I saw that a couple of times Steffi was doing it on TV when I watched her, so I was just trying to make the same thing, and all the people, they stand up and I almost felt to cry because it really happened to me.

Q. When you saw Steffi do that, did you say to yourself "maybe some day I will do that"?
A. Well, hopefully, yes. I was afraid it's so far away, but it's like this is my fifth time to be here, twice as a junior and I still watched her on TV at the finals, because I wasn't here in the second week, and especially I can say I only lost to Steffi at this tournament and she was a champion later on. So I was looking forward to having lost to her, maybe when she's not here I can win it too.

I mean, we, both of us, we could win it. I mean, just I did it this time. She could be the winner next time. It's very hard to say, and I just - today I had the better control over my balls than she did.

My fav quote
Q. You seemed to whack the racquet on the ground in temper just before that point. What was going through your mind there?
A. Well, if I throw my racquet, I'm for sure not happy about what I'm doing.

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Isn't it sad Go Hingis, that the majority of
so called tennis fans only appreciate players
when they're not on tour? lol.

ktwtennis
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Good 'ole Hingis giving us some of her tactical advice...I agree w/her, and I would suggest others to also...After all, she did build her game around her mind...