PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Chanda is REALLY playing!

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Kim is up 5-4 with a break...but this is the best Iīve seen Chanda play in a looonnnggg time!!

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Come on Chanda!

LindsayRulez
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:32 AM
I agree! Who knew Chanda was such a great net player?!

persond
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Chanda just made two critical errors to give kim the first set...but, yeah, Chanda has picked up her game, and Kim looked as if she would choke away her lead...!!!

Chanda, you can take this match...!!! Just execute...!!!

switz
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:39 AM

anyone who has ever seen her play half-decently ;) chanda has always been regarded as one of the best volleyers on tour. arthur ashes predicted she would win wimbledon. she might not do that, but she's won eastbourne twice

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:40 AM

That's why she had such a great 2002, including her win over Serena, and her near win over Venus at the US Open. Her net play was on.

slice
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:41 AM
pity she's down break point now :p

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Chanda is a semi-finalist! In this form there is no way she is gonna lose to Dementieva.

katrientje
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:43 AM
:eek: did you see the complete split Kim did :eek:
I thought for a minute she hurt herself

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:43 AM
pity she's down break point now :p

She held :D

LindsayRulez
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:44 AM
I know Chanda is great, I love her game, but I never saw her come to net so much! I think she will definitely carry this over to next season, and I suspect it will do her a lot of good. C'mon, Chanda!

PatM04
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM
I saw the split. I made me hurt just looking at it! I really think if Chanda keeps playing the way she is right now she could very well win this match. She just needs to play some of the big point in the second set and she's got made:)

Harju.
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Chanda is a semi-finalist! In this form there is no way she is gonna lose to Dementieva.
not if Momo beat Kim!!

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:52 AM
But Momo ainīt beating Kim...she is too passive for that and her serve is really weak.

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:53 AM
So what happens if Chanda loses tonight, but wins tomorrow against Elana she would be 2-1. But if Amelie wins today and tomorrow against Kim she will be 2-1, and so will Kim, I'm lost.

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Kim's up a set and a break now 6-4 4-3

Trish101
uh oh, Chanda is losin...ouch

bandabou
This is the difference between the "real" top and the worked top. Chanda canīt keep it up and Kimīs get lucky...

lizchris
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:57 AM
So what happens if Chanda loses tonight, but wins tomorrow against Elana she would be 2-1. But if Amelie wins today and tomorrow against Kim she will be 2-1, and so will Kim, I'm lost.

I think it then depends on how many sets a player has won. Whoever wins mroe sets would be the semifinalist.

Chance
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:57 AM

then they count the sets and games

Harju.
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:59 AM
But Momo ainīt beating Kim...she is too passive for that and her serve is really weak.
well you might never know UNTIL the match starts.

Do you believe in miracle :p

switz
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:01 AM
even if she loses she still has shown she can compete with the best, even when they are playing well. this all boasts very well for next season. of course this season is far from over the way she is playing

switz
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:03 AM
i'm just loving it so much more because of the way people wrote her off. she is just such a fighter and that's why i love her

bandabou
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:06 AM
No....she played well. Eventhough she lost....but the match was good, real good!

mishar
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Chanda was fighting well and made some great points. She just couldn't match up from the baseline with Kim and Kim hit some amazing passing shots. But I liked Chanda's bravery tonight. She went to net over 40 times!!! How often do you see that in women's tennis?

tfannis
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Isn't Kim sure of her semifinal now?

If Kim loses to Amelie in straight sets tomorrow...she has two straight sets victories and one straight sets loss
Amelie would have two straight victories and a three set loss
If Chanda beats Elena in straight sets...she has one three sets win, one straight sets win and a straight set loss...which is worse than Kim..

so is kim already a semi-finalist? :confused:

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:21 AM
then they count the sets and games

So whoever lost the least amount of sets/games would progress to semifinal.

switz
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:26 AM
basically chanda is in if she beats elena and kim beats amelie.

Brian Stewart
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:32 AM
What do they do if there's a 3-way tie for first? Do they take the top 2, or do a tiebreak to decide #1 first? Since they have to have a 1st place and 2nd place finisher, for the sake of the semis, they would probably decide 1st place, then 2nd.

So, here's the situation. There can only be a 3-way tie if Momo and Chanda win. Applying head-to-head 1st yields a 1-1 record for everyone. Going to sets next, it becomes a matter of how many sets it took Amelie to defeat Kim.

If Momo d. Kim in straight sets, the set scores would be 5-2 for Momo, and 4-2 for Kim. This gives Momo first place. Now 2 players are left tied for second. Kim gets second because of her win over Chanda.

However, if Momo d. Kim in 3 sets, the set scores become 5-3 for Momo, and 5-2 for Kim. Kim advances as 1st place. Now Momo and Chanda are tied for 2nd. Chanda's win over Momo would put her in 2nd.

Basically, Momo makes the semis if either she beats Kim in straight sets, or Chanda loses to Elena. Any other outcome advances Chanda. (And if Chanda beats Elena, # of sets for that match is irrelevant.)

That seems to be the way it would work, assuming the WTA doesnt screw it up. We'll have to see how it turns out.

Hagar
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Not surprising that Chanda played well. Already in the Luxemburg final she gave Kim a good run for her money. But Kim is just terrific on this surface.

jenny161185
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:18 PM
yeah she has a great net game when she executes - good to hear she put up a good fight

jenglisbe
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:38 PM
What if Kim beats Amelie, and Elena beats Chanda? Then 3 players have a 1-2 record...

Experimentee
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Good to hear that Chanda is playing well again :)
Hope she can make the semis and continue the form into 2004 :bounce: