PDA

View Full Version : If Monica were to retire tomorrow, would she go down as the greatest ever?

monicarules
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:35 AM
I think it's quite arguable. As a fan of hers, I would of course vote for her. But I understand everyone is entitled to their opinions and in this thread whether you are for or against her, you opinions are welcome.
So what do you think? Don't forget what she has had to go through not just as a tennis player but as one individual. Her life story would make a best seller book..

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Greatest Player Ever? No
Greatest Sports Humanitarian? Yes

Ballbuster
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Are you Crazy.

How about one of the most overweight players ever?

Trish101
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Greatest Player ever? No (Margeret Court, Navratilova, Graff)

Greatest Comeback? No (Martina Navratilova, Jennifer Capriati)

Best return: No (serena, Jennifer)

Loudest Grunt: DIFFENETLY

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:52 AM
this must be a joke.

JustineTime
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:57 AM
I Stefinitely don't think so! ;)

R&J
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Are you Crazy.

How about one of the most overweight players ever?
And you dont consider yourself the hater when you write stuff like that (concerning your proclaim to shake off the haters signature)?

Ease up on the hatred.

JustineTime
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:02 AM
And you dont consider yourself the hater when you write stuff like that (concerning your proclaim to shake off the haters signature)?

Ease up on the hatred.

Oh, he's a hater alright, but sadly :sad: he's under the misapprehension that they only come in white! :shrug:

Trish101
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:01 AM
ballbuster is a hypecrite, he thinks because hes black he can insult white people and not get insulted back, but i always call him whast he reaLLY IS, shit.

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:04 AM
I think she would go down as the fourth greatest player of the Open Era, after Navratilova, Graf and Evert.

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:06 AM
ONE of the greatest ever, but not "the" greatest ever.

Trish--you have to add Seles to the comeback list. And Corina as well.

PatM04
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:30 AM
I really think she has the most talent of anyone to ever play. Before the stabbing she totally dominate at such a young age. I really think that with her power, intelligence, and pure talent she could be the best ever. I am not trying to take anything away from the other greats but she truly has and always will have something about her game that the others never had, don't have, or never will have:) I agree that Monica is most likely the greatest womens player ever to live.

Trish101
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Monica did comeback, but she didnt do as much as Jen in her comeback. Corina is a great comeback, but more of a feel good story rather than anything "great"

as for best ever, Monica would be #9 on my list with Jennifer being one down @ #10

vancouverite
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Trish101, please tell me you're joking about Navratilova and Capriati taking precedence over Seles when it comes to the category of 'comeback', unless you meant only what was achieved after the comeback....(and even then, her '96 Australian Open win and '98 French Open final appearance put Navratilova's post-retirement accomplishments in the shade, to take nothing away from what Martina has done)

The fact that Monica played competitive tennis again after what happened to her far outstrips what Navratilova or Capriati had to overcome after their self-imposed absences from the game.

As for return...you're talking return of serve? I think you'd find most tennis commentators would mention the name 'Seles' before that of Capriati when discussing all-time greatest serve returners (though Capriati does belong on the shortlist). Monica basically invented the aggressive, go-for-broke attack on the return that's the norm amongst the power brokers in today's game.

Kart
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM
I'm actually planning to build a temple in her honour when she retires. I've laid out the plans in my mind. We'll have a special 'deja vu' room in the basement where we lock up Steffi supporters and play the French open final 1992 to them repeatedly until they submit. Also a designated 'decimal' therapy for JenCap supporters who haven't seen the light - it's their choice, Monica or deafness. I'm going to apply for planning permission as soon as they let me out of the asylum - actually I'm surprised I haven't see you around in here monicarules :confused:.

ktwtennis
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah, the hostility and bias level could go down and the intelligence and objective level could go up. Of course Monica is one of the best! And her comeback is second-to-none. Jennifer's was caused by herself...It's her fault, not Monica's...

azza
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:54 AM
:lol: @ Kart

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Anyway, she is a great player but not the greatest ever. Think Court and Navratilova. Then think Graf, Evert and Seles the next level down.

monicarules
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:27 PM
You may not have the same opinon as mine but I still believe that she deserves to go down as the greatest player to have ever played the sport. Her comeback story combined with her nearly flawless game and other wise greatest career really makes her the greatest ever.

Daniel
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Yes, monica is the greatest ever
Monica :worship:

monicarules
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Denial we seem to be in the same boat!

spencercarlos
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:35 PM
You may not have the same opinon as mine but I still believe that she deserves to go down as the greatest player to have ever played the sport. Her comeback story combined with her nearly flawless game and other wise greatest career really makes her the greatest ever.
She was basically the best player in the world during 91-93, never to win Wimbledon though, but she is not the best player ever to play the game, even if you only take her pre-stabbing numbers, anyway that is not the case.

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:13 PM
well im certainly not one to argue against it. seles at her best was most likely the best player to ever play... plain and simple. monica at her best was better than steffi at her best. if monica had won a wimbledon title at one point in her career, there would be no doubt that she's the best ever. but unfortunately, she has no wimbledon (mainly because she missed years which she would have maybe won it). but that's huge in being THE alltime great. personally, i think navratilova's career is easier to argue as the best ever over steffi and maybe even over monica-- i mean, martina had a rival. that alone makes her 18 slams shine brighter. i can't understand why people think this is a joke thread when everyone considers monica one of the best ever-- then why can't it be asked if she was the best??? i can understand ppl saying no, but don't act like this is some thread wherethe title is "is widjaja the best player on tour?"