PDA

View Full Version : Martina Picks Up The Microphone

tennisIlove09
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Martina Picks Up The Microphone

Martina Hingis By Richard Pagliaro
11/06/2003

Former No. 1 Martina Hingis begins her comeback to tournament tennis at this week's Bank Of America WTA Tour Championships — as a commentator. The five-time Grand Slam champion, who announced her retirement from tennis in February, will work for Eurosport as a television reporter during its coverage of the Championships.

The 23-year-old Swiss will provide previews of the tournament's nightly matches, conduct post-match player interviews and answer questions from viewers. To submit a question for Hingis, please visit the Eurosport web site. Hingis will answer one question on the air each day.

The assignment marks the broadcast debut for Hingis, who will also work for Australian television's Channel 7 during its January's Australian hard court season.

Hingis reigned as the world's top-ranked player for 209 weeks, but injury-induced inactivity sidelined her for much of the final year and a half of her career.

The new role seems ideally suited for the outspoken Hingis, who speaks several languages and was unafraid of of speaking her mind — and occasionally offending opponents with her blunt comments — during her playing days. Hingis typically elicited extreme reaction from fans, but many have missed her presence on Tour since her retirement.

In an era of baseline blasters, Hingis was fond of finesse and alternating spins and speeds of her shots. At five-foot-seven, 130 pounds, Hingis was overshadowed by bigger, stronger opponents, but used her greatest weapon — her mind — to compensate for the significant size disparity she often faced.

She began playing tennis at the age of two and turned pro at the age of 14. In 1997, Hingis defeated Mary Pierce in the Australian open final to become the youngest Grand Slam singles champion of the 20th century at the age of 16 years, three months. She would rise to the top of tennis three months later to become the youngest No. 1 at 16 years, six months and one day.

On May 20th, 2002, Hingis underwent surgery to repair torn ligaments in her left ankle. It was her second surgery in a year. She returned to tournament tennis in the summer of 2002, but later admitted she rushed back too quickly. On October 11th of last year, Hingis announced she was taking an indefinite leave from tennis after a series of disappointing defeats, including a humbling first-round loss to 109th-ranked Nadia Petrova at the Kremlin Cup. She announced her official retirement in February.

At the 2002 WTA Tour Championships last November, the perpetually-positive Hingis told Tennis Week.com writer Brad Falkner she was living — and loving — her new life away from tennis.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me — I have a great life," Hingis said. "Even without competition, I am happy. I am young and my whole life is ahead of me. What I am experiencing is nothing dramatic. The only thing I cannot do anymore is remain competitive."

Daniel
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Martina :hearts: :worship:

SerialKiller#69
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:03 AM
So much wisdom for a bright girl.:)

barmaid
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I just saw a video clip of Martina interviewing Myskina and she did a great job, very relaxed and asked important questions regarding the great year Myskina had and her two recent big wins over Kim and Justine. Looks like a natural to me!! :hearts:

barmaid :wavey:

FanDeJen
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:17 AM
I´m starting to like Martina...
She´s such a smart girl!!!! nice interviews!!

Bravo Martina!!!!

heidi2
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:19 AM
I totally agree with Daniel ! :hearts: :worship:

It's great to see Martina again ! :worship: :worship: :worship:

BasicTennis
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:03 AM
She's impressive and certainly doing a great job out there.;)

Martina knows how to reinvent herself.:)