PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or do points in L.A. seem longer/better?

jenglisbe
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:37 PM
I watched the ESPN2 coverage, and I keep being impressed by how long the rallies are. I remember thinking that last year, too. Players seem to track more balls down (or something). Is this a product of the court, of just having the best players there, both?? or does no one else think this is happening?

E. Blackadder
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM
the court is much more betetr than last year. Last year they used somethign new and players weren't used to it.

MarcusRock
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Not to mention they had a crappy net last year.

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM
I think that because it is the cream of the crop you get better quality of matches. Specially right now that it is only top 8 players....ALL the players here are top 10 or gunning for top 10. So there are no real easy matches. Sure there is a gap in talent, but you canīt take no one for granted.

TennisFan75
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:06 PM
one of the commentators last night made a comment that the play was better, due to the round robin format. There is less pressure where you can still advance if you lose a match..

jay

canoe.
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM
I agree.The commentators on Eurosport mentioned something about the court playing slower.

Wimanna
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I only saw the Kim vs Elena match. With the low cameraviewpoint (which I really hate) it seemed that everything was in slow motion, maybe that's why it seemed longer/better ;)

Tratree
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM
I don't know any technical about the floor, but the floor has much less "give" than it did last year. It felt more rubbery last year. It seemed to play pretty slow in the Chanda-Amelie match, but then again EVERYTHING was slow during that match. Dang, it dragged on and on and on. Anyways, the are rallying quite a bit more than usual, which is pretty cool I guess.

CapFan#1
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM
the low camera view and the tacky, slow court def. slow things down, and draw out the points

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:02 PM
watching you could tell the speed of court was really slow :(

ToeTag
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:09 PM
:D I'd much rather watch matches played on slower courts...no slam bam crap all time.Too bad this is not airing on tv in Canada.

harloo
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Just because you see a good match does not mean that their won't be any easy matches. Their will be plenty of them here. Watch!

:) ;)

jenny161185
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:15 PM
top 8 usually give good rallies which is good for the format

tennisluver99
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:20 PM
It's horrible, I hate ESPN's camera angle and the play was too slow. I actually fell asleep watching it.

Keith
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I hated the view so much. It made all of the shots look soft.

JustineTime
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:41 PM
One thing's for sure: if that court is as slow as it looked to me, it bodes R-E-A-L-L-Y well for Justine winning the Kewpie Doll! ;) :)