PDA

View Full Version : Sugiyama the replacement for Hingis?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Watching her play against Cappy last night, she really reminds me of Hingis. She's an aggressive counterpuncher and an amazing defensive scrambler. She comes up with some amazing angles, especially the short angle with her crosscourt backhand. Her volleys are among the best out there. Her serve doesnt intimidate you too much, but its consistently in the 90s and she can place it anywhere. Plus she has that huge grin after a well played point. Anyone else agree with me?

BTW, I think Sugi could pull off #5 next year. She has a great game and is really fun to watch out there.

kim4eva
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:00 PM
GO Ai :bounce:

TennisFan75
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
I agree! I love that angle crosscourt backhand. I also love her willingness to finish points off at net.

jay

spencercarlos
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Watching her play against Cappy last night, she really reminds me of Hingis. She's an aggressive counterpuncher and an amazing defensive scrambler. She comes up with some amazing angles, especially the short angle with her crosscourt backhand. Her volleys are among the best out there. Her serve doesnt intimidate you too much, but its consistently in the 90s and she can place it anywhere. Plus she has that huge grin after a well played point. Anyone else agree with me?

BTW, I think Sugi could pull off #5 next year. She has a great game and is really fun to watch out there.
Its an insult to compare Hingis with Ai in that way "of replacement" as you say, especially when you are comparing a player who has 5 slams and reached lot of slam finals to a player that has not even reached a GS singles semifinal.
Ai`s been a complete player does not make her be the "replacement" of a player like Hingis`s (or was).
Ai has had a good year but remmember this year Serena, Venus, Seles, Davenport, (even Hingis`s abcense) have been injured and that has really favored SOME players to be overranked as they are now.
I just don`t see Ai get to number 5 in the world next year unless this injury festival continues.
Ai is a solid top 15 player for sure, and is always a threat, normally gives great battles to the top players, but she is not a top 5 player.

Chance
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:24 PM
yeah I agree with petosp.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Ai very well could be #5 petosp. Judging from last night, she is dead even with Capriati. She's more than capable of beating Davenport, especially since Lindsay is starting to think about life after tennis more than ever. She's not better than the Williams Sisters orr the Belgian twosome, but she's better than everyone else when she is on.

And I didn't mean the Hingis comment as an insult. What I meant was that people complain all womens tennis is is nothing but baseline bashing. These same people yearn for Hingis's clever play to return to the game. They have something like Hingis in Ai Sugiyama. She clearly hasnt had the results Hingis has had, but she has the same gamestyle.

firefly_ac
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Well...She might be the 'Asian' version of Hingis but not a replacement,i think. . .Hingis is more of a precocious young talent while Ai is more of an experienced veteran who has got great work ethics and what's she's achieved is due largely to her hard work...

Kart
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
She's a player in her own right. Replacement is probably a bad choice of word but I can see some minor similarities in their games.

migi
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:34 PM
So what is wrong with that when we say Ai is replacement of Hingis.
Hingis can play tennis again but she is afraid of loosning that affects her fame. Up and down is the natural of the human.
Hingis is really cowardly.!!!!!!

TonyP
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:57 PM
There is nothing cowardly about Martina. Nor is there any reason to get upset by someone comparing Ai to her.

Ai is a fine player and the poster was not implying that Ai had as good a record as Martina, only that there are similiarities in their styles of play and there are.

Ai particularly looked good when trying to pull Jenn very far off court on the add side by hitting inside out forhands or very sharp angled backhands.

That was fun to watch, just as it was when Martina hit those kind of shots. Where it struck me Ai fell down was not being able to put her shots to the duece court out far enough. Whether due to lack of foot speed or poorer technique, Ai was not always able to capitalize on having pulled Jenn so far off court on her backhand side.

But I thought Ai did a great job last night and the scoreline proves it.7-5, 7-6 is a very solid performance against any player.

ghosts
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
LOL :lol:

propi
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I hope this is a joke :eek:
Sugiyama and Hingis :lol: sorry, Ai has done great things but that comparison is not balanced at all

Jamie
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Martina a coward? What pill is Migi on? Martina a coward? That is a joke.

Harju.
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:52 AM
If you saw Ai's match vs Jen and vs Momo in Phil. My God. She is a solid top 10 player

switz
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:07 AM
ai is not in hingis league, but i can see why you would note the similarity in their games.

don't just write ai off as over-ranked though, she lifted her game a lot this year, and is not just playing the same game she always has. the fact is that she has beaten davenport and clijsters this year and also beaten a lot of players like petrova who are ranked the same as her.

a push to the top 5 would definitely require a lot of luck, and i personally don't see it, but i think she can stay in the top 10 next year if she plays at the same level

migi
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Not pill at all on Migi. The fact is that Hingis is afraid of to loose. Therefore she is afraid to come back on court. She sat to watch the match between Justine and Myskina. She looked pity.!

tennnisfannn
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Well...She might be the 'Asian' version of Hingis but not a replacement,i think. . .Hingis is more of a precocious young talent while Ai is more of an experienced veteran who has got great work ethics and what's she's achieved is due largely to her hard work...
What on earth does 'asian' version mean? Does that mean only players of the same race can be compared :rolleyes:
I also don't get why it's considered 'heresy' to compare anyone to Hingis. She was a great player who set a standard. I have heard people compare Henin, Ai, Chanda and Vera to hingis and the response has been similar. OUTRAGE!

wateva
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:35 PM
no two players have the same style in my opinion. ai is obviously a good player, but not as good as martina when she was in her prime. otherwise, ai would have added a lot of titles into her bag. martina is also very good on all types of surfaces, unlike ai who can't really perform well on grass and clay...

spencercarlos
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Ai very well could be #5 petosp. Judging from last night, she is dead even with Capriati. She's more than capable of beating Davenport, especially since Lindsay is starting to think about life after tennis more than ever. She's not better than the Williams Sisters orr the Belgian twosome, but she's better than everyone else when she is on.

And I didn't mean the Hingis comment as an insult. What I meant was that people complain all womens tennis is is nothing but baseline bashing. These same people yearn for Hingis's clever play to return to the game. They have something like Hingis in Ai Sugiyama. She clearly hasnt had the results Hingis has had, but she has the same gamestyle.
Sorry to disagree with you, but even this year Ai`s best year on the tour she has not even reached a QF at a grand slam tournament, i dunno where are you going to produce her 5th position in the ranking or where do you think it can come from.
For example Sabatini ended 1990 as the 5th ranked player having won the Usopen and reaching finals of the Masters. :rolleyes:

PointBlank
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:14 PM
I wouldnt say Ai is a replacement but she does remind me ALOT of Marty....I still see Marty play every summer in Flordia she is still awesome in fact her and Jenny were playing about 2 weeks before Aussie together