PDA

View Full Version : Williams will face tough road upon return

Paneru
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Williams will face tough road upon return

LOS ANGELES: Regaining match toughness - both mental and physical - will be the biggest challenge facing Venus and Serena Williams when they return to tennis in January, players at the elite season-ending WTA Championships predicted Wednesday.

“The most important thing will be to be mentally and physically match tough,” said Jennifer Capriati, who has plenty of experience of returning to the game after a long break from competition. “You can practice all you want, but there’s nothing like the real thing. To get into the frame of mind of dominating and being confident is tough, because at first you’ll probably be losing.”

Both Williams are skipping the $3 million season finale at Staples Center recovering from injuries. But they put in an appearance at a pre-tournament fashion show on Monday night and said they expected to be playing in the Australian Open in January. “It’s been a long road till now, but in general I feel well,” said Venus, who has been nursing an abdominal strain. “I’m obviously disappointed I couldn’t be in the championships, but I guess the way I look at it, some things aren’t always meant to be.”

Williams said her recovery from the injury “took a lot longer than I ever would have imagined.” “At first I thought I would be out for a week,” she said. “But I think it was a constant aggravation. I shouldn’t have played the French Open.

Serena williams had knee surgery on August 1. The last time the sisters played was when they met in the Wimbledon final in July. Capriati said the down time might turn out to be a boon for the sisters. “It’s not like they were losing that much,” Capriati said. “And for the longevity of the sport and they’re careers, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to take a few months off.”

Belgian Kim Clijsters, who beat Serena Williams in the final of the Tour Championships last year admitted the tournament would have a different flavor without either Williams. But she said she believed the round-robin format among the eight singles qualifiers could produce some fireworks. “They’re definitely going to be missed,” Clijsters said. “But also injury is a part of sport. It’s something you have to work on, to make sure you’re fit enough to get through the year.” —AFP

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_6-11-2003_pg2_15

Infiniti2001
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Damn, I like the Williames, but I sometimes get tired of all the articles about them. They're not playing , why not focus on those who are?? UGH

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:37 PM
That´s the way it is....the Williamses are the news.

vs1
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Damn, I like the Williames, but I sometimes get tired of all the articles about them. They're not playing , why not focus on those who are?? UGH

RIGHT?!?!

:worship: :worship: :worship:

lizchris
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM
I have one thing to say to Jennifer about being off for a long time regarding Venus: The year 2000.

In addition; Venus isn't off because something she did to herself; she is out becuase she is injured.

vs1
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Regardless of the reason for the layoff, rust seems to affect Venus and Serena much less than most players. In fact, I think it aids them much more. It makes them hungrier. Sure, they might struggle a bit, but I think they are more determined to win. What I think doesn't help is when they play too many weeks consecutively and lose motivation, especially at the Tier II level.

So I say, yes, it may be somewhat of a factor, but I don't think the layoff will hold them back from achieving their end results.

GO GIRLS!!!

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Venus and Serena need play at least one warm-up tourney before the AO and they should have no problem reaching the final. I can't think of one player capable of stopping either of them on any surface except clay.

Chance
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:12 PM
sometimes it seems like some fans think V + S are superhuman.... I'm taking it one match at a time.

jenny161185
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:21 PM
hey jen was being nice about the sisters - she knows about coming back - though the williams' have always been great at returning without having played in a while.

joao
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:08 PM
In 2003, Venus didn't play any warm-up event and reached the finals of the AO! I wouldn't be too worried for next year either!

And long lay-offs are never a one-way thing. It might hurt the sisters (cuz of rustiness) but it will certainly hurt their opponents too. When the sisters will be back, all players will have forgotten how much powerfull they are and might actually have difficulties to re-adjust to the sisters' game!

Nobody's Perfecc
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:14 PM
sometimes it seems like some fans think V + S are superhuman.... I'm taking it one match at a time.

I like your approach as a tennis fan. :)

I'm really glad they're taking some time off to nurse their injuries. I hope their injuries have healed enough to play next January.

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:20 PM
I think they´ll play a tune-up, but they have history on their side. Their best perfomances have all been after long lay-offs. Venus in ´00 and Serena in ´03....so don´t worry. They´ll be back.