PDA

View Full Version : Daniela Hantuchoves "fires" Nigel Sears

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:20 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3245989.stm

Hantuchova splits with coach

By Jonathan Overend
BBC Sport tennis commentator

Former world number eight Daniela Hantuchova has parted company from her British coach of more than two years, Nigel Sears.
The pair are believed to have severed their partnership just ahead of the recent tournament in Linz.

But Hantuchova has not appointed anyone else in place of Sears and it appears a reconciliation could be possible.

"It's not necessarily a permanent split," said a WTA spokesman.

Sears started working with the Slovakian number one in June 2001 when her world ranking was 80.

By the end of last year, she had become a top-10 player and the future looked bright.

But in 12 months she has slipped from eight to 19 in the rankings, winning only 28 matches in 2003 and losing 23.

There are 62 players with better win/loss ratios than her this year and there have been many frustrations for Sears.

He was seen walking out on one of her matches earlier in the year, later saying he felt it would be better for the player if he was not courtside.

The subject of Hantuchova's apparent weight loss made headlines over the summer, with Sears often put in uncomfortable corners having to defend her eating habits.

They are both regarded as perfectionists and, according to one source, their post-match debriefs were often frank, intense exchanges.

Kart
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Finally !

Jarrett
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Off topic, I hope Monica gets a coach for the new season. ;)

ktwtennis
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Off topic, I hope Monica gets a coach for the new season. ;)lol...Same here!

Chance
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:47 PM
lol...Same here!

yeah, I hope so too.

wish Mike Sell would coach Monica again....

per4ever
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Finally :D

Take a good coach Dani!

jenny161185
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM
well she had to blame someone for this years results

Sammm
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Finally. Nigel is well rid of a girl that doesn't eat enough. He can work with the Brits now.

Daniel
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Hope Dani gets a good coach :)

Infiniti2001
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:33 PM
They are both regarded as perfectionists and, according to one source, their post-match debriefs were often frank, intense exchanges.

Interesting. Intense perfectionism is one of the main traits found in anorexics. Ducking :tape:

Rocketta
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:37 PM
so if her weight doesn't increase and her results don't go way up then what?

WF4EVER
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Frankly I thought he was doing her a favour since he's merely a coach and not a psychiatrist as well.

I hope she gets a good coach too, and a dietitian as well. Its a shame to see all that talent slide down the rankings

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah, this is what happens when you get overhyped. Dani´s problem is that everybody figured her out. Sure, she seems to have some mental issues....but the truth is that her movement is simply lacking for the top. I saw Kim pick her apart at Berlin....it wasn´t pretty, she was hitting well and all....but had no movement.