PDA

View Full Version : Venus mad at Chanda

switz
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:06 AM
ok that was intentionally misleading. i just found this article which had a nice little quote about venus' reaction to chanda taking her spot. she thought chanda should have won phili and saved her from withdrawing. i thought it was nice, even though it is only a small part of the article about chanda beating amelie (i can't be bothered getting the link back)

Rubin defeats Mauresmo in WTA Championships

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
November 6, 2003

AP - Nov 5, 9:59 pm EST
More Photos

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Chanda Rubin rallied from a set and a service break down to beat Amelie Mauresmo 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 in round-robin play on opening night of the WTA Championships Wednesday.

It was Rubin's first victory in her fourth appearance in the season-ending championships, which will determine the No. 1 ranking for the year. Rubin, ranked No. 10, got into the eight-player tournament when Venus Williams withdrew because of injury.

Rubin needed to reach last week's semifinals in Philadelphia to qualify on her own, but she lost in the quarterfinals. After Williams pulled out, Rubin found out Sunday she was headed to Los Angeles.

``She was mad at me,'' Rubin said about Williams' reaction. ``She said I should have won in Philadelphia.''

Rubin broke Mauresmo with a forehand winner to close out the 2-hour, 8-minute match in front of 5,281 people at 20,000-seat Staples Center.

``I tried to force the play and be aggressive,'' Rubin said. ``After being down a set and a break, I felt like I had new life.''

Mauresmo, ranked seventh in the world, earned the only break of the first set. Tied 3-3 in the second set, Rubin held after nine deuces and three break points for a 4-3 lead. Mauresmo broke after seven deuces to trail 5-4, then was broken to lose the second set.

ADVERTISEMENT

Rubin got an early break and raced to a 4-1 lead in the third.

``She was playing better and better as the match went on,'' Mauresmo said. ``She puts a lot of speed on the ball and she can also come in. Sometimes I was too far from the baseline to take control of the points.''

Rubin had more unforced errors (41) than winners (37) in beating Mauresmo for the third time in four career meetings.

Later Wednesday night, Jennifer Capriati played Ai Sugiyama and world No. 1 and defending champion Kim Clijsters took on Elena Dementieva.

The two players with the best records in the Red and Black groups will advance to Sunday's semifinals.

Venus Williams, her sister Serena, and Lindsay Davenport all missed the tournament because of injuries.

Knizzle
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:08 AM
LOL @ Chanda and Venus. Venus is always making a joke.

Jericho
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:12 AM
i bet the haters were so excited to open this thread :tape:

Too bad, Venus isnt the catty type

switz
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:15 AM
i shocked that 6000 people were there. obviously it's well below capacity, but it's a whole lot better than last year

bello
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:17 AM
thats cute!!! GO CHANDA BABY!!!

vs1
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:17 AM
That's why Venus is the QUEEN!!! Period! ;)

Venus Forever
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:35 AM
:lol: @ Venus!!

Veritas
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Good grief! I was almost afraid that two of my faves were at each other's throat :eek:

Hehe, I should've known that Venus is far too graceful and mature to get involved in spats ;)

gweeny
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Venus has a funny sense of humor. I don't know if Chanda and Venus are good friends, but the AA should stick together.

Knizzle
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Venus has a funny sense of humor. I don't know if Chanda and Venus are good friends, but the AA should stick together.

:confused:

gweeny
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:26 AM
:confused:

What is so confusing about my post? I think it always good for African-Americans to be suppportive of each other rather than against each other. Especially in a sport, with 80% caucasians.

martinafan
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:38 AM
maybe it was the abbreviation, AA that was confusing...took me a couple of seconds to get what it stood for...

persond
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:44 AM
maybe it was the abbreviation, AA that was confusing...took me a couple of seconds to get what it stood for...

That's because as an "Alcoholic", your thoughts went immediately to the 12 step program...!!! :tape: :tape:

switz
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:35 AM
i never knew that chanda and venus were alcoholics.

Brian Stewart
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:57 AM
They're not. :) (no comment from you, Bea)

Strange how it turned out. Chanda got Venus' spot, and Anna's clothes.

switz
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:33 AM
They're not. :) (no comment from you, Bea)

Strange how it turned out. Chanda got Venus' spot, and Anna's clothes.

brian i'm in the process of starting a website dedicated to chanda. are you aware of any in existance at present besides the tennisrulez one? i made post in the chanda forum about it.

esquímaux
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:28 AM
I wanna see :P

tennisjam
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Venus is right...

Chanda can be so inconsistant :o

-Sonic-
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Chanda :D

Thats basically proved that you deserved the spot here.

casanovalover
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:26 AM
venus and chanda are the best. understated and all class.

Jarrett
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Venus is a $&*@# for saying that about/to Chanda.

..... yeah ;) Go V.

casanovalover
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Venus is a $&*@# for saying that about/to Chanda.

..... yeah ;) Go V.

she was joking. learn to take a joke. oh, i just got it! it appears i need to learn to take a joke!! hahahahahaahaahahaha, why i laugh?

Jarrett
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM
LOL, I was worried for a second. Yes it was a joke.

casanovalover
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:50 AM
LOL, I was worried for a second. Yes it was a joke.

yes i was joking by joking the you were not joking.

Jarrett
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM
ok I am confused now. lol

Cariaoke
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Venus is stupid! ROFL! :lol:

well done, Chanda!

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Chanda :hearts:

Venus :hearts:

Cam'ron Giles