PDA

View Full Version : According to ********************, Daniela Hantuchova fired her coach Nigel Sears.

the cat
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:47 AM
According to the November 4, 2003 ******************** Newsletter written by Matthew Cronin, Daniela Hantuchova has fired her coach Nigel Sears. I think this is a good move. I know Sears helped Daniela in 2002. But Dani had a terrible and traumatic 2003. :sad: And the end of Daniela's exhausting 2002 season Sears took Dani to South Africa for some rigorous but unecessary training. Well Dani never recovered from that and had a terrible 2003 season. This year Dani lost weight and lost her game. :( And I think the needless extra training and workaholic schedule from 2002 caught up with Dani.

I hope Dani hires a sound female coach who she can relate to on matters besides tennis. Or maybe she should go back to Nick Bollettieri and have him work on her game. His enthusiastic coaching style could help Dani. :D

The ******************** Newsletter can be found at www.********************/news_110403.html The bit about Dani firing Sears is the second to last paragraph of the newsletter. I'm a little surprised I haven't heard more about this. This is major news in the tennis world.

AjdeNate!
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:00 AM
I think this is the first step on the road to recovery for her.

switz
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:05 AM
i agree that this sounds like a great move. sears obviously was man enough to admit her stuffed up and didn't change things before the problem got out of control. i really hope that hantuchova can come back and play well again. she really isn't that far away i think, she just needs to get back to a healthier wait and get some confidence back.

the cat
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Seles and Switz, I agree that firing Sears is a step in the right direction for Daniela. But now comes the important question. Who should she hire to coach her?

kyk710
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:16 AM
I think this is the first step on the road to recovery for her.
I hope so :)

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Okaaaaaay.

Thanks for the news.

ToeTag
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Who should she hire to coach her?
Melanie Molitor...

Randy H
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:50 AM
That's too bad, Nigel is a really nice guy and did a lot of good things for Daniela, but I think it was best for her to try something new and get a fresh start for the new season. I am sure Nigel will have no trouble finding new work :)

Hope Dani can find a new coach that can really keep her positive out there, and give her the attitude that she needs to want to win more than she is afraid to lose. :)

Good luck Dani!

Sharapower
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Melanie Molitor...

Yes I thought about Molitor too.

And... wouldn'it be funny if Martina Hingis herself coached Hantuchova :drool: lol.

ToeTag
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Yes I thought about Molitor too.

And... wouldn'it be funny if Martina Hingis herself coached Hantuchova :drool: lol.
:bounce: That would be even better...maybe Martina would play a little doubles with her.

Kurt Wilkesmann
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:37 AM
I think this was coming for a while.

Whilst I could not go so far as to say that Nigel is guilty for all of her lack of success this year, I think it is reasonable to say that perhaps he took her as far as he could. Nigel did some sensational work with Dani by taking her to no. 5 last year (?).

Firstly, Dani has to look at getting her confidence back. That should get her back into the top 10.

Secondly, she needs to REALLY work on her mental game.

Lastly, I think Dani's mobility is very poor indeed. She is way too often out of position, or is late in getting into position, which is exploited to the n'th degree by smart players. Kim mentioned in an interview at the beginning of the year that her game tactic against Dani was to get her to move around and "force" the issue with respects to her mobility. From that point on (I think it was February or March), I have not seen any great improvement in her movement around the court, so with that, I really think that it is a good move to let Sears go.

My personal thoughts with respect to the common criticism of her lack of strength, I must say that I do not entirely agree that power is the only way to win on the tour these days. So, with that, I am not in agreeance that the only way for her to win is to bulk up. I mean, lets look at Sugiyama's record over the last few weeks - she can hit a decent ball but is very small in comparison to a lot of the girls on the tour, yet has had a fantastic month.

I sincerely hope that Dani can get someone on her side to enable her to get back to the level we know she is capable of, and to get her to the next level.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Great news, however Sears should have resigned first instead of Dani firing her :o

Tarsius
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:28 AM
If it is true, then at least she did it at a more or less opportune time instead of in the middle of the season. Also, maybe a new perspective on the game that she can get from a new coach might also bring in a new facet to her game for next year. Its a shame though, Nigel Sears IMO is an excellent coach.

Lady
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:56 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3245989.stm

Hantuchova splits with coach

By Jonathan Overend
BBC Sport tennis commentator

Former world number eight Daniela Hantuchova has parted company from her British coach of more than two years, Nigel Sears.
The pair are believed to have severed their partnership just ahead of the recent tournament in Linz.

Sears guided Hantuchova into the world's top 10

But Hantuchova has not appointed anyone else in place of Sears and it appears a reconciliation could be possible.

"It's not necessarily a permanent split," said a WTA spokesman.

Sears started working with the Slovakian number one in June 2001 when her world ranking was 80.

By the end of last year, she had become a top-10 player and the future looked bright.

But in 12 months she has slipped from eight to 19 in the rankings, winning only 28 matches in 2003 and losing 23.

There are 62 players with better win/loss ratios than her this year and there have been many frustrations for Sears.

He was seen walking out on one of her matches earlier in the year, later saying he felt it would be better for the player if he was not courtside.

The subject of Hantuchova's apparent weight loss made headlines over the summer, with Sears often put in uncomfortable corners having to defend her eating habits.

They are both regarded as perfectionists and, according to one source, their post-match debriefs were often frank, intense exchanges.

lee station
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Oh thanks for the news!

Kart
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:34 AM
It's about time. He'd gotten her as far as he was going to some time ago. Time for some new advice.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:56 AM
didnt see this cat....
put up another article myself

Dani has to get it together seriously :)

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I hope 2004 is a better year for her. :(

casanovalover
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:37 AM
why didn't dani tell me this. we are engaged and she is still keeping secrets from me. very upset, but happy that because i thought that nigel was competition

the cat
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I hope so too, Joui. But it's up to Dani to make 2004 a good year for her.

LOL @ CasanovaLover! :lol:

That's okay, Eggy.

The onus is squarely of Daniela's shoulders to make the right coaching move. And she doesn't need a coach who talks to the press about Dani as much as Nigel Sears did.

While I would prefer to see a woman coach Dani, I would be happy to have Dani coached by Pavel Slozil. He's a fine coach who just hapens and he's a quiet man.

I think the biggest surprise for me early this year was Dani's weight loss. She must have lost 5 to 10 pounds in the offseason. And Dani was already too light as it was. I just don't think there was any reason for Sears to take Dani to South Africa soon after her long and successful 2002 season and work her out so hard. That stripped Dani of some of her much needed weight and Dani was already in good cardiovascular shape so I don't think the grueling South Africa training sessions were necessary. Does anyone think Maria Sharapova who is built alot like Daniela will play next year 5 to 10 pounds lighter than she was this year? Of course not. That would be a big mistake. I expect Maria will add 5 to 10 pounds of weight in the offseason. It was a big mistake for Dani to lose the weight after the 2002 season becasuse the weight loss hurt her power and stamina and it hurt her to have all the weight related questions she had to deal with. :( And she never recovered from it. :( I hope Dani has a good offseason and has a good working relationship with her new coach. :)

Lapin
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Good luck Daniela! Maybe Heinz Gundthart (sp?) could coach her?

Albireo
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Carlos Kirmayr.

What's he up to these days? Is he even still alive? :scratch:

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM
The thing is that the tour has figured her out.... she can hit hard and has good hands, but her movement isnīt all that. I think the same will happen with Maria. At the top if you canīt move well, they are gonna pick you apart.

the cat
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Lapin and Albireo, those are good coaching choices. :D I think Heinz Gunthardt is a real possibiltity since he recently coached Jelena Dokic. He must familiar with Daniela's game and ability.

bandabou, you make a good point about mobility. It's very hard for very tall tennis players to have quickness and mobility. But Maria is already improving on her mobility. And once she stops gtowing taller she should then be able to really work on her mobility and quickness. And the same goes for Daniela. But I think Dani has stopped growing in height. Now it's time for her to imrove her might (strength) and mobility.

beauty_is_pink
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks Cat and Eggy!
I think with a new season starting up (Season 2004) it would be a great start coming in fresh and new - and with a new coach... what better way to start this off!

A female coach would be nice - since she could understand Daniela more (like her body and spend time with her off court as a companion)... but whatever Daniela's move... I'll be supporting her always!!! Good Luck Daniela!!! :hug:

the cat
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Hi J_C! :wavey: You have excellent thoughts on the Daniela Hantuchova and Nigel Sears.

You're welcome, B_I_P. :) Hi! :wavey: Like you I hope Daniela hires a female coach who can relate to her and her game. And I hope Dani plays several Tier lll and Tier lV WTA tournaments next year. She needs to get back to her winning ways of 2002. And playing some smaller tournaments could help Dani find her fine tennis form again. :D

Vincent
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Daniela:)

Well, indeed i hope someone could really help her be fitter. Once Daniela is fit, her game will be back!

the cat
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:27 PM
ferrero, Daniela is very fit. :) In fact she hardly ever gets injured. But she does need to to stronger.

JR, I would think Daniela would pay good money for a good coach. This coaching move for Dani is very important. And I think she'll take her time hiring a coach.

*JR*
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:14 PM
ferrero, Daniela is very fit. :) In fact she hardly ever gets injured. But she does need to to stronger.

JR, I would think Daniela would pay good money for a good coach. This coaching move for Dani is very important. And I think she'll take her time hiring a coach.
No doubt Dani will pay. It's (Hofmann) who finds excuses not to! ;)

lee station
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:16 PM
This coaching move for Dani is very important. And I think she'll take her time hiring a coach.We hope so! :) :wavey: :yeah: