PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters/Sugiyama Will Not Play Doubles In 2004

lizchris
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Kim has decided to concentrate on singles. I don't know if the split is permanent.

for-sure
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Did AI get a slam out of it at least?

lizchris
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Kim and Ai won the French Open and Wimbeldon doubles. They lost to Venus and Serena at the AO in the third round and they pulled out of doubles at the USO due to the rain delays.

Hawk
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:54 AM
That's actually a relief..where did you hear it?

lizchris
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:56 AM
That's actually a relief..where did you hear it?

Pam said it during the first two games of the Jennifer/Ai match that is going on right now.

disposablehero
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:57 AM
This is good news. Kim is a choice doubles partner, so I'm sure if she decides to enter a Slam here and there someone good will partner with her. But the important thing is that she is now free to concentrate on the big hardware.

Scotso
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:59 AM
It is good news.

switz
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:02 AM
thid always happens to ai. she gets to number one and splits with her partner. julie halard-decugis retired after they became the dominant team, and then ai fell right back in the rankings, now she is number one again and splits with kim.

she is much better player now though, and lots of people would want to play with her. she think about teaming with a japanese girl for the olympics, because they could get a medal. she played with rika for a while last year and they were very successful.

Harju.
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Very true. Ai and Rika teamed up for the second half of the season last year and they had pretty good result. go Ai!!

WrB
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:07 AM
maybe Ai will play with Liezel Huber now...but I would love to see her play with Davenport or Henin-Hardenne, maybe even Hantuchova is she gets back on track.

Veritas
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Actually, Ai/Kim lost to Serena/Venus 7-5, 6-4 at the QF of the AO this year.

I hope Ai teams up with another Japanese next year. Or if Monica comes back, then Ai could help her win a few doubles hardware to place besides her singles trophies ;)

kyk710
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Ai/Chanda would be a great pair, I think. Two players that actually know how to volley and go to net :eek:

vogus
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Better late than never. Clisters should have stopped fooling around with the doubles at least a year ago. The significance of doubles is minute in comparison with what Kim should have been focused on, winning a GS singles title.

gorecki
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:46 AM
hope Ai gets a permanent partner for 2004 :)
:wavey: Kim

Hagar
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I guess this means that Kim still has the ambition to win a Slam in singles.

-Ph51-
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Good for Kim.She needs to concentate on winning the AO.

ghosts
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM
It is good news.
yeah

Kart
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:27 AM
This is not bad news for Ai, she's a quality doubles player without Kim and will find herself another great partner I'm sure.

Rollo
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Methinks Ai already has or is testing out a new partner. L. Huber isn't in LA for her health! Obata or any other Japanese girl might get "good" results-but Huber is good enough to win a slam with Sugiyama.

ktwtennis
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Very good decision...

saki
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Who knows? Perhaps Ai wants to focus on singles too. She's had good enough results that it would seem reasonable. And if Kim had one-tenth of Ai's tenacity and strategy, she'd be a singles slam-winner by now.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Still, it seems a shame for Ai when she has made # 1 in doubles. Hope she does find a regular partner if she wants to continue to play doubles seriously. Someone like Chanda, who has good net skills.

Or even Anna K. :devil: