PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I am playing tennis with Newcombe, Rosewall & Roche!

tennisvideos
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:44 AM
To anyone who may be remotely interested.... I just had to share my excitement and let someone (anyone - LOL) know that tomorrow I am representing my company in a Celebrity Pro-Am Tennis Tournament with some of my idols from my childhood years: Ken Rosewall, John Newcombe and Tony Roche!!! :bounce: Ken is my all time fave male player ever (along with Rafter) so that is a real buzz.

I have met them all before, when I organised their old Wimbledon & US Open matches for them on video, but I have never played tennis with them before so I am very excited. Dick Crealy is the other former pro who is playing and I have hit with him before and was very competitive with him, but he would be the weakest of the four - of course I have 20 years on them so that helps!

My family don't get into tennis so who better than to share my news with than other tennis fans who might understand. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes and will try and get some pics to post. :)

Anyway, I'm not bragging, just too excited not to share the news. Now if only I could arrange a hit with King, Court, Goolagong & Evert !!!!!!!

FanDeJen
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:46 AM
wow Congrats!! have fun!!

tennisvideos
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:49 AM
Thx FanDeJen - hopefully I won't be too nervous and won't embarrass myself!!!

azza
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:52 AM
lucky :bounce:

slice
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:09 AM
:banana:

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:11 AM
:D Will Rafter b ther?

MisterQ
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:43 AM
That's pretty amazing! Especially because they are idols of yours from childhood!

Have fun! (Kick their butts, lol!)

TennisHack
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Ken Rosewall, John Newcombe and Tony Roche!!! :bounce: Ken is my all time fave male player ever (along with Rafter) so that is a real buzz.

I have met them all before, when I organised their old Wimbledon & US Open matches for them on video, but I have never played tennis with them before so I am very excited.

*dies* Wow, wow, wow!! Talk about the legends of tennis!! I'd be stoked, too.

Have a fabulous time and make sure to post all about it somewhere! :)

MisterQ
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:52 AM
I hope in a few decades I will be able to say:

Oh, to anyone who is remotely interested, tomorrow I will be playing with Agassi, Sampras, and Becker.

LOL!

tennisvideos
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:12 AM
LOL MisterQ !

Thanks guys. I am sure it will be fun even if I mess up a little.

Spikey - Pat Rafter won't be there. He and Lleyton & Cathy Freeman will be at the official Starlight Cup day in December, but only the oldies will be at tomorrow's event. I can't have everything I guess ;)

for-sure
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Thanks for sharing :) VERY cool :banana: :bounce:

tennisvideos
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:36 AM
well i went to the corporate tennis day and did have lots of fun. met up with ken, newc & roche again and they remembered me from the time i organised their videos which was a relief.

the day comprised of being coached on forehand by dick crealy for 10m each, then on backhand by Rosewall, volley by Roche and serve by Newc. So that was good as i got some good tips for my serve.

got a couple of pics with Rosewall & Newc so will post them next week after I download them off the camera at work.

the dissapointing aspect was that i never got to actually play against the legends as after the coaching was over all they did was watch all of us play against each other in round robin tournament. i was hoping to play those guys... i had already played Dick Crealy earlier this year when we were giving him & Chris O'Neil practise for the Aussie Open Legends and we beat him, so I was hoping for some good tussles with the other guys. Oh well, can't have it all! LOL.

The biggest buzz for me came when Tony Roche said to me "oh my god, you've got Francoise Durr's backhand!". So studying her backhand on tape was not in vain! And then another coach who was on deck said that I was uncoachable - inferring that he could do nothing with my unorthodox strokes... thank god, i wouldn't change them for the world. :)

anyway, it was a fun day and beat going to work anyday. :)

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Great to see u had fun tennisvideos

:wavey:

Hagar
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:09 AM
WOW. That is awesome. You are so lucky.

dubro
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:09 AM
u better find some young buddy :lol:

jk mate, i think it was a grrrreat experience ! :banana:

wood's racquets? ;)

azza
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Go you :bounce:

Jem
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Great for you, TennisVideos! I'm sure it was fun. I once played a set with Jack Kramer against Vic Sexias and Mick Luckhurst, a former kicker for the Atlanta Falcons. It was great, as we had spectators and the whole shebang!

tennisvideos
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys. And Jem - that would have been amazing! With spectators and all. Jack Kramer is one of the all time legends too and Vic was a great player too. :)

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Cool! Glad you had a good time!

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:30 PM
The biggest buzz for me came when Tony Roche said to me "oh my god, you've got Francoise Durr's backhand!". So studying her backhand on tape was not in vain! And then another coach who was on deck said that I was uncoachable - inferring that he could do nothing with my unorthodox strokes... thank god, i wouldn't change them for the world. :)

Wow, do you really have Durr's backhand? With that bizarre grip?! very interesting! If so, I'm interested to know the pros and cons of it, if you have any opinions on that.

gorecki
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:31 PM
well i went to the corporate tennis day and did have lots of fun. met up with ken, newc & roche again and they remembered me from the time i organised their videos which was a relief.

the day comprised of being coached on forehand by dick crealy for 10m each, then on backhand by Rosewall, volley by Roche and serve by Newc. So that was good as i got some good tips for my serve.

got a couple of pics with Rosewall & Newc so will post them next week after I download them off the camera at work.

the dissapointing aspect was that i never got to actually play against the legends as after the coaching was over all they did was watch all of us play against each other in round robin tournament. i was hoping to play those guys... i had already played Dick Crealy earlier this year when we were giving him & Chris O'Neil practise for the Aussie Open Legends and we beat him, so I was hoping for some good tussles with the other guys. Oh well, can't have it all! LOL.

anyway, it was a fun day and beat going to work anyday. :)
i'll bet u can't get Rochey's comments out of your head ;)

tennisvideos
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:40 PM
LOL Goreki.

Mr.Q - I normally play a double handed backhand - very flat like Connors or Evert. But when I get a short/low/wide ball I usually take the left hand off the racket and I do have the same grip as Durr for the single handed backhand - even with the forefinger up the front of the handle. It did take me years to develop enough strength to play it, but the benefits are that I am very accurate with it, esp great to lob with or do little dinks at players rushing the net. Also great to pass with - often times I will catch players off guard with it as they have no idea where it is going. The disadvantage with it is that you cannot generate much pace with it, and a powerful shot will often be too much for it.... hence the double hander normally during a baseline rally. :)

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Very interesting. Sounds like it gives you a lot of options, especially in combo with the double hander. thanks

Experimentee
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Sounds awesome! :yeah:

I'd like to work for your company ;)

Andre@
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:36 PM
HI Craig

It is great when We could get our dreans and I guess you got one of yours!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

We all wish you the best!!! :) :D

joaco
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:02 PM
You go out there and have THE BEST POSSIBLE TIME!!!! And I mean it, please enjoy every single second. Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tennisvideos
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Well I got a couple of pics with Newcombe and Rosewall at the tennis charity day that I played in. Here's one.....

Check out the length of my shorts compared to theirs! LOL. Anyway, they were both very friendly and chatty, as was Roche. Which is what you would expect from these great Aussie legends. :)

croat123
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:04 AM
lucky :)

looks like you had a great time :bounce:

TennisHack
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Great to hear you had a nice time. Too bad you weren't able to play with them :( but being in their presence, not to mention taking a clinic from them, would be enough to put me over the moon!

Thanks for sharing! :)