PDA

View Full Version : OMG the crowd in LA!

katrientje
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:08 AM
So little people there for Chanda vs Amelie.
I wonder why they keep the tour championships in LA. Attendence was already bad last year and back then Venus and Serena were there. I guess it won't be better this year.
Anybody knows why the WTA keeps it in LA?

Greenout
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I think they should move it to another state or city.
Everybody in Los Angeles is just too spoiled when
it comes to entertainment/sport event options!!

vs1
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:12 AM
I think LA is saturated with tennis events to start with...and then they do such a shitty job publicising this event...it's out of control. I mean, this is really a huge event...and they call it the Bank of America Championships presented by Porsche. Everyone is like, "HUH?! What the F*ck is THAT?!" But good news for the Chanda/Amelie fans who get to see them up close and personal!!! :)

harloo
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:13 AM
I don't know what was the big suprise especially with even more top players out. Too bad, I guess the promotion department for the WTA still sucks.

Trish101
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:14 AM
whos winning that match? besides most people want to see Jennifer, like thats any surprise...

vs1
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Most people?! I think you had a typo Trish. ;)
It's spelled S-E-R-E-N-A!!! ;) :kiss:

UDiTY
It's started?!?! Or are they still warming up?!?!

Cuz their website Live Score Board says it hasn't started yet...... :mad:

Greenout
What city would best fit the YEC other than L.A?

Chicago? Seattle? Boston? Tampa?

Instant
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Melbourne :)

tennisvideos
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Agree Instant - if they held them in Melbourne or London (Royal Albert Hall) they would get sellout crowds for sure. :)

Greenout
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Australia?

That would be good too. The USA is just too damn
big, and everyone who's a tennishead is just
so spread apart. People can't just go and see the
match- hotel reservations, airline reservations etc..
have to be made.

London? Are you sure- the BBC website and news gives
me the impression that women's tennis isn't that popular
in England.

Why not give it one year to Belgium and RUSSIA?

silverwhite
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:24 AM
It's started?!?! Or are they still warming up?!?!

Cuz their website Live Score Board says it hasn't started yet...... :mad:

1-1.

Trish101
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Well what about Canada...in the #1 city in the world perhaps, Vancouver? I think Vancouver is not only holds the largest active tennis community in Canada, but Vancouver hosts many world class events, possible G.M Place which is a georgous arena, or another venue that could be built in world #1 vancouver.

Trish101
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Vs? wow i think you might need to brush up your typing skills babe...;) cause Jennifer is not spelled with an S....i HOPE your not meaning SERENA *ohhhh* well she isnt playing...so how could she draw anybody? nope Jennifer

Fortis
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:36 AM
the fact is that tennis journalists and publicists have done a great job in publicizing the sport but Americans in general are not interested in men or women's tennis. Why?? because, the emphasis has been placed on personalities instead of the game. When the personalities are missing such as the williams sisters, or kournikova..the people azre not interested. The Atp may yet commit the same mistake with Roddick..the onlyt thing is that outside of the United States, he is fairly unpopular or not well known.

monicarules
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Monica's presense would double the size of the crowd.....what a shame...

Fortis
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:42 AM
There were huge crowds When Graf, Navratilova and even Novotna played at Madison Square Gardens. The L.A. audience is savvy in my opinion.

But still it is perhaps the venue. LA is in a basketball state of mind, now.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:43 AM
We have two great personalities (as well as outstanding players) out there playing at the moment. Amelie and Chanda should both be very marketable.

azza
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:46 AM
So little people there for Chanda vs Amelie.
I wonder why they keep the tour championships in LA. Attendence was already bad last year and back then Venus and Serena were there. I guess it won't be better this year.
Anybody knows why the WTA keeps it in LA?

coz its america and america gets everything :rolleyes:

Fortis
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:49 AM
How would you market either....It's hard when Serena and Venus plus Kournikova and Capriati are images of tennis in America. The American media seems reluctant to write or speak about any other players. Kim and Justine are seen as the Belgian interlopers. Justine thanks to ESPN has been portrayed as some form of cheat.

Mauresmo is seen as a headcase, plus she is French..how do you market her to Americans at this time.

Chanda has constantly been portrayed as "Miss also ran" who is a nice African American woman from a "good" background. Read that as bland compared to the Williams in the media's eyes.

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:57 AM
I think it was perfect at New York...L.A. just doesn´t seem tennis-minded at this time of the year.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Yes, fortis, they currently have a bad image in the US. It didn't have to be like this. Chanda is beautiful, has a lovely tennis game to watch, has been Kournikova's doubles partner. There must be all sorts of angles they could have used.

And just look at any shot of Amelie in action. She looks like a warrior. I can't think of any other woman who better exemplifies that aspect of tennis, except, I suppose, Serena.

Fortis
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:08 AM
Those marketing tennis did not think in long terms. In the short term, the Venus/Serena domination and story is good for tennis... so is Kournikova and Capriati. But women's tennis is much more than that. It is a game first. the personalities are only suppose to add interest. As much as Tiger is golf in America, that sport has kept its traditions and other players are also kept in the spotlight. But, the WTA was so happy for the attention it got from the Williams sisters and Kournikova and Capriati that it forgot that personalities are fleeting but the game will always (hopefully) be there. Low attendance is the norm except for finals, though. Sometimes I wonder how do they make money or maintain sponsorships.

The motto..Should be more tennis, less fluff.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:15 AM
I can't disagree with that. What I do say, though, is that they could have marketed their all-star cast a lot better over the last few years. Yeah, keep as many players as possible in the spotlight, the way golf manages to.

Mister B
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:15 AM
I remember last year when Los Angeles stadium was empty, while Shanghai stadium for Men's masters cup was totally full!!!!!!!! that was really the opposite lol..

Fortis
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I could write a book on what the WTA has done wrong. It needs a dress code, that's the first thing. It needs to place more emphasis on the game and its traditions. Tennis is more than being sexy. If the aim is to market only the sexy or pretty players then the game will soon run out of players to market. Why...Well,those selected for media attention will simply take the "loot" and run..and where will tennis the game be.

I stilll think they need to re-think the venue. But, interest in tennis is very low in the United States, hence the Andy "hype."

The latest marketing strategy is to portray the tennis players as "celebrities" or friends of "celebrities" in order to get them some media attention. But, people are only interested in them and not the game. Note, I always emphasize the game. Tennis is really a beautiful sport. At present the people at the top don't know how to market it.

Anna F'd Enrique
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:28 AM
what is the score right now???????

Berlin_Calling
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:45 AM
3 words, MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.

why the fuck did they move the championships in the first place? :rolleyes: x 2

ToeTag
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:51 AM
what is the score right now???????
Go here:mauresmo/rubin (http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S57/E5516/live_Lng0_Spo57_Evt5516.shtml)

right1
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:15 AM
And they say Atlanta fans are bad

CanadianBoy21
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:19 AM
They should move it to Toronto. Nah, we already have Canadian Open every second year(which is totally dumb!! we should have it every year, instead we get mens every other year!! :zzz: )
They should move it to anywhere but let it stay in LA.

MisterQ
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:30 AM
I'm biased because I live here, but I think the event would do better if were back in New York. There is a real tennis audience here and people would really come to see it, like they used to at Madison Square Garden.

The sheer size of this Staples Center makes even a decent-sized crowd look and feel small. The energy in the room just dissipates. Add to it poor advertising, and you are likely to end up with a disappointing event, even without injuries.

Lita's Ex
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Tampa, Orlando or Miami. Tennis is huge in Florida and having the YEC there would draw large crowds. L.A. is a total joke. It's an insult to the players and the magnitude of the tournament but I think the attendance was just as bad when the YEC was held back East.

Sharapower
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Paris Bercy would be the coolest place for these championships

Venus Forever
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:36 AM
I'm biased because I live here, but I think the event would do better if were back in New York. There is a real tennis audience here and people would really come to see it, like they used to at Madison Square Garden.

The sheer size of this Staples Center makes even a decent-sized crowd look and feel small. The energy in the room just dissipates. Add to it poor advertising, and you are likely to end up with a disappointing event, even without injuries.

You're not biased, that's just the truth. ;)

tennisIlove09
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:58 AM
I could write a book on what the WTA has done wrong. It needs a dress code, that's the first thing. It needs to place more emphasis on the game and its traditions. Tennis is more than being sexy. If the aim is to market only the sexy or pretty players then the game will soon run out of players to market. Why...Well,those selected for media attention will simply take the "loot" and run..and where will tennis the game be.

I stilll think they need to re-think the venue. But, interest in tennis is very low in the United States, hence the Andy "hype."

The latest marketing strategy is to portray the tennis players as "celebrities" or friends of "celebrities" in order to get them some media attention. But, people are only interested in them and not the game. Note, I always emphasize the game. Tennis is really a beautiful sport. At present the people at the top don't know how to market it.

What do you mean, it needs a dress code?! :eek:

Secondly, I don't think ESPN gave Justine the rep. that she's a cheater. ESPN didn't force the hand in Paris. Also, Clijsters' comments after San Diego didn't help

maya
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Compared to last year the crowd was huge. Now we can at least use the word "crowd" (as in "a little crowd") without being sarcastic.

tfannis
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:58 AM

A city outside America? :p

matthias
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:00 AM
whats going on with LA?

they lost the Beachvolleyball WorldChampionships 2005
because at a masters-event there has beén nearly no crowds
and now tennis it is the same

is LA not interested in sport?

maryjane
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:08 AM

I think some european cities.I mean players r already playig european tournies so it's useless to go to usa for the last tournment.
Anyway,wta should change everyyear according to how is accepted the tour during the years.maybe this year it was a certain succees to go to Belgium.Anyway,in Germany tennis is always well welcomed.
Something like this.

tfannis
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:11 AM
I think some european cities.I mean players r already playig european tournies so it's useless to go to usa for the last tournment.
Anyway,wta should change everyyear according to how is accepted the tour during the years.maybe this year it was a certain succees to go to Belgium.Anyway,in Germany tennis is always well welcomed.
Something like this.
second that :yeah:

Tratree
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:19 AM
The crowd was much better by the time Jennifer and Ai started. Traffic was awful getting into the Staples Center. Laker games are the same way....6:00 pm is really early to get people in there. The official attendence was 5,281.

matthias
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:01 PM
they should move it around like the ATP

then they can go to cities/coutries where is currently a tennis-boom

maybe Belgium this year
and next year to china or russia , because it seems China is a upcoming tennis-market

Raj
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:09 PM
they should move it around like the ATP

then they can go to cities/coutries where is currently a tennis-boom

maybe Belgium this year
and next year to china or russia , because it seems China is a upcoming tennis-market

totally agree matthias

Jem
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:19 PM
The women were incredibly stupid to move their year-end championships from New York in the first place. It was one of the best showcases ever for women's tennis, and they are still reeling from the shock of it. At least the announced attendance was much better last night with more than 5,000 there. Maybe it will catch on, but it will still be a downer in terms of TV ratings in the U.S. at least, as are most things that air live from the West Coast. For example, I had to forgo the Capriati-Sugiyama match last night because it started so late on TV. Us old geezers need our sleep!

Hagar
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
What crowd? I did not see any crowd.
Put the YEC back to Madison Square Garden (nice to combine with a weekend in New York) or in Europe. You would have a full house in Belgium or the Netherlands.

Fortis
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=tennisIlove09]What do you mean, it needs a dress code?! :eek:

Did you see Capriati last night. Her shirt was two sizes too tight and her mid-section was hanging over her skirt with a bandage on display. It was not nice to see. :eek: :eek: :o :o

tennisIlove09
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:00 AM
[QUOTE=tennisIlove09]What do you mean, it needs a dress code?! :eek:

Did you see Capriati last night. Her shirt was two sizes too tight and her mid-section was hanging over her skirt with a bandage on display. It was not nice to see. :eek: :eek: :o :o

No, I don't get coverage.

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:29 AM
i may be biased by saying move it back to madison square garden, but i really don't see anywhere else in america where it would be as NICE. the crowds were huge! i don't think florida needs any more tournaments! i also feel that it could do well in chicago. the staples center is just too big! im an advocate of combining the year end championships of men and women with each gender getting a day off in between their matches! then we also might get mixed dubs in the yec. i think it would be neat-- so many players would be shown on tv watching and some would go into the booths-- we'd get to know them better.

esquímaux
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Personally, the audience seemed desolate for the Clijsters/Dementieva match :rolleyes:

decemberlove
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:17 AM
LA is too focused on basketball.

NYC is the place to be. the knicks suck so nyc isnt really too occupied with any sport now that baseball is over.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:17 AM
there's more atmosphere at a funeral than here.

crowd is pathetic

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:20 AM
i think everyone agrees that it should be nearly anywhere but la... so what can be done?

also-- i HATE watching matches that have no one in the stands. i agree with eggy-- it depletes the atmosphere. there were a few matches with a lot of ppl last year... seles vs dav, venus vs seles, jenn vs serena, venus vs kim, and kim vs serena. all the others had NO ONE

monicain
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:06 AM
OMG @ the Dress code stuff.
This is soo stupid. Would you change your topping to a bad one when you think your ice-cream is no good? Me would pick a better ice-cream, and lick it down with the same old fab topping I like. Dressing is the most fab thing I ever see in women tennis. :bounce: Look around to other women sport, they suck the way they dress, and they suck in term of popularity. To see athletes play elagantly in elegant dress, that's sooo cool. Just look at Venus when she plays in Marilyn dress--that's the best. Beautiful strokes, and very beautiful dress. ;)

And I don't think we could stand if players are forced to dress soo boring like it's Wimbledon all year round! :rolleyes:

Look at the ATP, their tennis is fantastic, and their outfit started to get better. Sleeveless allowance does show some brain[again]from the ATP side.

Do not remove the whipped cream just because you're not into your Sticky-Chewy, OK?

jellybelly
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:07 AM
there's more atmosphere at a funeral than here.

crowd is pathetic

crowd is drunky drunky now :p