PDA

View Full Version : No. 1 but still second best?

tennisIlove09
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:01 PM
No. 1 but still second best?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reuters

LONDON -- She is world No. 1 and the defending champion heading into the season-ending WTA Tour Championships, but not even victory at the $3 million event will prevent Kim Clijsters from feeling like a stand-in.

Kim Clijsters was the 12th woman to hold the No. 1 ranking.

It is a sad and empty end to a year that had promised so much, but during which, in the final analysis, she has been found wanting.

It started in January when the larger-than-life Serena Williams came back from a seemingly impossible position to beat Clijsters in the Australian Open semifinals before going on to win the event and with it her "Serena Slam."

Compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne walloped Clijsters in the French Open final to become the first Belgian to win a Grand Slam title, a mantle that Clijsters must have thought was her due.

At Wimbledon, Clijsters fell even before reaching the final to a weak, injured Venus Williams -- and Henin-Hardenne crushed Clijsters a second time to lift the U.S. Open crown.

The bubbly, smiley Clijsters was left empty-handed. Her ranking will look like nothing more than a computer glitch unless she wins the season-ending finale at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

Even then, Clijsters would know she is merely minding the top ranking for Serena.

"She's got that extra and that makes her I think still the best player in the world, no problem," Clijsters said last month.

"If she was injury-free she's the toughest to beat out there. If Serena played the number of tournaments that I play I definitely think that she would be number one."

But Serena does not have to match Clijsters' events played to rule the rankings -- she simply has to win the big ones and Clijsters does not look capable of stopping her when the American is fit.

Serena is not playing again this year, preferring instead to be 100-percent ready for next season.

More surprising, perhaps, is Henin-Hardenne's dominance over Clijsters on the big stage. Having made her major breakthrough in Paris, Henin-Hardenne swings freely these days, while Clijsters tightens up.

This week Clijsters celebrated a 12th week at world No. 1.

She had better savor it. Unless she overcomes her mental weakness when the pressure is on she might not look down on too many more weeks from the top.

jimbo mack
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:04 PM
she's has still had a great year though. and she's still only 20......

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Dang! Since when has a no.1 been treated like this?! This isnīt a honour anymore....this is just emberassing!

lizchris
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:08 PM
That's true, but with those results, she should have won a Slam this year. Serena and Justine were the only other players beside herself to get to the semifinals of every Grand Slam they played and they won. She cannot go anywhere but down and needs to try to win a Slam next year.

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Next year itīs gonna be though for Kim...so many points to defend and she canīt play more and she canīt really improve her results either.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:16 PM
A great year? Sorry but just as the term #1 ranked player in the world has been watered down so has the definition of a Great year. I'll admit it was a great year......for her, but as far as history, even recent history it could hardly be considered great.

Hingis 97

Serena 02

justine 03

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
A great year? Sorry but just as the term #1 ranked player in the world has been watered down so has the definition of a Great year. I'll admit it was a great year......for her, but as far as history, even recent history it could hardly be considered great.

Hingis 97

Serena 02

justine 03

Exactly...how can it be considered great when she hasnīt won a slam and got bageled and bradsticked in the two finals?! It was good...but not GREAT! Great means winning at least two slams.

Kart
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:22 PM
That's an injustice to both Kim and Venus to describe Venus as weak during that Wimbledon semi, I thought it was a great match.

Rather an unoriginal pessimistic article from the writer, from where I'm sitting Kim has everything to look forward to for next year.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Venus was weak(end) by her abdominal strain

persond
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Always the "bridesmaid", never the "bride"...!!! Although Kim is still young and she has plenty of time to fulfill her lifelong dream of winning a slam...!!! :angel: :angel:

Kart
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:27 PM
I know that but the article makes it sound like she was lame or something. If anything the determination she showed to win indicated how tough an opponent she is.

persond
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:30 PM
I know that but the article makes it sound like she was lame or something.

Kart, the article "sounded" exactly like it "really was"...!!! No matter what or how one tries to "spin" that chapter in history, it was what it was...!!! It's as simple as that...!!! :angel: :angel:

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Good one....always bridesmaid and never the bride. A good classification of Kimīs year: 8-6 record in finals ainīt anything to write home about.

Kart
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:32 PM
She was injured, not weak. Why do I get the feeling we're not going to agree on this :p.

persond
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:35 PM
She was injured, not weak. Why do I get the feeling we're not going to agree on this :p.

Hey, Kart, you're absolutely right, okay...??? :angel: :angel:

*persond thinks to himself, bet he wasn't looking for that one...* :tape:

nygirl
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM
I know that but the article makes it sound like she was lame or something. If anything the determination she showed to win indicated how tough an opponent she is.

My thoughts exactly. Describing Venus as 'weak' is completely off...she was not at her best I'll grand you that but saying she was weak is just a way to discredit Kim even more imo.

Kart
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Hey, Kart, you're absolutely right, okay...??? :angel: :angel:

*persond thinks to himself, bet he wasn't looking for that one...* :tape:

:speakles:

;)

Lindsay A Davenport
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I think Venus was weak in the Wimby semis, that's why I give her even more credit for beating Kim.

~KKman~
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:03 PM
whatever.....i'm just happy Kim was #1 longer than Venus:)

lizchris
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:06 PM

That's fine with me because Venus has four Grand Slam singles titles.

V&SGotItGoingOn
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:17 PM
I didn't think Kim had THAT terrible of a year, but I do think that Justine was the best player this year. Venus was definitetly not at her best at Wimbledon, and I think she was a lot weaker than usual. It showed against Serena (although she did take a set off of her).
As for Kim being number one longer than Venus, I think Kim would trade over a few weeks at number one for four grand slams anyday!

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Think Venus really cares that Kim was no.1 longer than her?! I do know that Kim would kill for one of Venusīs 4 slams though.

*JR*
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:11 PM
In 1984, the Miami Dolphins' 2nd year quarterback Dan Marino threw a (still) NFL record 48 touchdown passes in a runaway MVP year. The team went on to the Super Bowl in Jan. 1985 where they lost to the San Francisco 49ers, led by a QB who would "just win" big games, Joe Montana (the 2nd of his eventual 4 Super Bowl titles). So the experts said "no big deal" about Marino, that he'd surely have many more chances. He played 16 more years and passed for more yards and touchdowns than any other quarterback ever has, or perhaps ever will. BUT: he never got back to the Super Bowl. Now in football the QB depends on the rest of the team, and there aren't 4 Super Bowls a year (though an 18 year WTA singles career is almost inconceivable). So 10 Slams have come and gone since RG '01, and Kim isn't the best with everyone healthy like Marino was (slightly better than John Elway, IMO) EXCEPT in "crunch time" when Montana (4-0), Troy Aikman (3-0), and even Elway (2-3) won 7 Super Bowl rings.

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:18 PM
In 1984, the Miami Dolphins' 2nd year quarterback Dan Marino threw a (still) NFL record 48 touchdown passes in a runaway MVP year. The team went on to the Super Bowl in Jan. 1985 where they lost to the San Francisco 49ers, led by a QB who would "just win" big games, Joe Montana (the 2nd of his eventual 4 Super Bowl titles). So the experts said "no big deal" about Marino, that he'd surely have many more chances. He played 16 more years and passed for more yards and touchdowns than any other quarterback ever has, or perhaps ever will. BUT: he never got back to the Super Bowl. Now in football the QB depends on the rest of the team, and there aren't 4 Super Bowls a year (though an 18 year WTA singles career is almost inconceivable). So 10 Slams have come and gone since RG '01, and Kim isn't the best with everyone healthy like Marino was (slightly better than John Elway, IMO) EXCEPT in "crunch time" when Montana (4-0), Troy Aikman (3-0), and even Elway (2-3) won 7 Super Bowl rings.

Exactly....while Wilt was busy breaking records of scoring, Bill Russell was winning championships. Although I think that was because he had HoF team-mates at ALL positions! DANG! Not even Wilt could beat that.

CanIGetAWhat
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:46 AM

Hi, i_hate_serena Fhkung. :wavey:

~KKman~
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Hi, i_hate_serena Fhkung. :wavey:
man, you are good:)......
just how do you know? ;)

justine&coria
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:18 AM
This article should have been named: N°1, but still third/fourth best ?

Knizzle
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Chanda (just to show no grudge agains the black community~~)

Are you fucking serious?? This is so lame.

VANESJE
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Some people seem to forget that although kim hasn't (yet) won a slam, she was in 2 slam finals this year! That is not SO bad imo!

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Some people seem to forget that although kim hasn't (yet) won a slam, she was in 2 slam finals this year! That is not SO bad imo!

So was Venus....it ainīt about BEING in the finals, it is about WINNING the finals.

bandabou
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM
This article should have been named: N°1, but still third/fourth best ?

sshh! Donīt tell NOBODY! ;)