PDA

View Full Version : Capriati grows & speaks up

Lady
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Capriati grows & speaks up

The Jennifer Capriati who enters the WTA Tour Championship on Wednesday is a mature 27-year-old woman, comfortable in the spotlight and far removed from the confused and unhappy youngster who went into self-imposed exile in the 1990s. Follow Capriati v Ai Sugiyama in the WTA Tour Championships LIVE at 04:30 CET on Eurosport!

"There was a time when I just came back that I couldn't even concentrate on playing because there was a lot going on in my mind, a lack of self-confidence," Capriati told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"Forget about tennis, I was scared to open my mouth. I didn't even feel worthy of saying something and not sounding stupid.

"I was an emotional basket case," said Capriati, who spent more than two years away from tennis after a demoralising first-round defeat in the 1993 U.S. Open and was detained by police for shoplifting and drug possession.

"Now a lot has changed and I can separate a lot of things. And if I can't, I make the decision not to even try to play tennis."

Tournament promoters are counting on Capriati's popularity to sell tickets this week as she and Chanda Rubin are the only Americans in the eight-woman field at Los Angeles' Staples Center.

Southern Californian natives Serena and Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport have pulled out with injuries, leaving Capriati as the big attraction.

She begins the round-robin phase of the event against Japan's Ai Sugiyama.

NEGATIVE PUBLICITY

Three-times Grand Slam winner Capriati still dislikes making public appearances but is always willing to take a stand on issues she believes in.

In 2002, Capriati got into a public spat with the United States Fed Cup coach Billie Jean King about whether private coaches should be allowed at team practices. She stuck to her point of view despite the negative publicity that ensued.

"I trust myself more," Capriati said. "It's also because of the feedback I got. People want to hear what I have to say and respect what I say. But mainly it comes from myself."

While the fifth-ranked Capriati does not start as the favourite this week, she is regarded as one of the few players to have a serious chance of beating defending champion Kim Clijsters or French and U.S. Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Last year in Los Angeles, Capriati lost a three-set heartbreaker to Serena Williams.

Six weeks ago, Capriati suffered another bad defeat, when she fell to Henin-Hardenne in the semi-finals of the U.S. Open, surrendering big leads in both the second and third sets. After the match, she admitted to choking and called it the worse defeat of her career.

After that match, Capriati said, she went from being angry to feeling drained. Now the former world number one knows she must turn herself around mentally if she is to have a chance of reaching the top again.

"I came as close as you come to winning," she said of the semi-final. "It wasn't my tennis that made me lose, it was a lot of different things going on, high drama, high emotion.

"It was also because the Williamses weren't there and (people were saying) I should win. But there were other good players there. For whatever reason, I didn't (win) and I can't look at it like it was my only chance. That's not very positive."

NUMBER ONE

When Capriati returned to the tour full time in 1999 after battling burnout and the fallout from her arrests, few analysts believed she would ever get into the top five again.

Capriati is delighted to have proved them wrong by winning two Australian Open titles and the French Open, as well as making the world number one spot for several spells in 2001 and 2002.

"Coming back after the layoff, I wasn't really sure what to expect," she said. "Maybe there were times I counted myself out. I'm just happy to be playing and to have the results I've had. If nothing ever happened from here on, I still feel I've had a noteworthy career."

While Capriati's peers such as Monica Seles and Davenport are out of action with injuries and could soon retire, Capriati sees herself playing into her 30s.

She recently read the autobiography of five-times Tour of France winner Lance Armstrong and said she was inspired by how he approached the struggle of getting to the top and staying there.

Capriati has won nearly $7 million in prize money but says she has no plans to relax for the rest of her career.

"Tennis is what I do and is part of who I am," she said. "It doesn't mean I'm going to be nonchalant from here on out. I'm happy with what I've done but it's a challenge to try to win more."

yukon145
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
wow, thanks for the article. Jenn really has seemed to mature, as always I wish the best of luck to her now and forever. Go Jenn!

Keith
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the article!

starr
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Nice article.

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:57 PM
This article sums up why I have HUGE respect for this woman!!! Sure I more than admire her tennis, but it is her growth and maturity as a human being that really gets me. To all the naysayers and haters out there.... read this article and you will find a mature, at peace, intelligent woman who is above the BS you spread about her. Cappy ain't retiring, and she is not going away.... she is going to keep improving her already awesome game and make women's tennis a lot of fun for the next few years!!!

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Hold on a second. Didn't Capriati say before the Open that it didn't matter that the Williams weren't there because whoever won the Open wouldn't be remembered as winning with a weak field or something to that effect? Now one of the reasons she lost was because the Williams weren't there? What's up with that?

Dont try to make shit out of nothing. SHe CLEARLY stated that she was thinking to much about the expectations of the tourny without the Willies there and not about the immediate moment. And what she said at the Pilot Pen about the Willies not being there was that sure it was more an open Grand Slam without 2 of the best players not playing, but that there were still many good players still in the draw.

MarcusRock
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Dont try to make shit out of nothing. SHe CLEARLY stated that she was thinking to much about the expectations of the tourny without the Willies there and not about the immediate moment. And what she said at the Pilot Pen about the Willies not being there was that sure it was more an open Grand Slam without 2 of the best players not playing, but that there were still many good players still in the draw.Relax dude(tte). I had the quotes confused so I already erased my post.

Chance
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:15 PM
no i think Cappy meant because V & S weren't there (some people including the American media) automatically thought she would win... which probably put more pressure on her.

Anyhoo nice quotes.

Linzi
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:23 PM
which probably put more pressure on her.
and she's not all that good under pressure as we saw....

MarcusRock
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM
and she's not all that good under pressure as we saw....Ooooh! Dang CapFan#1. Linzi just out and out called your favorite a punk under pressure. A mere paper tiger when the spotlight's on her and then said that she folded faster than Superman on laundry day.

You gonna take that? Dang!

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Ooooh! Dang CapFan#1. Linzi just out and out called your favorite a punk under pressure. A mere paper tiger when the spotlight's on her and then said that she folded faster than Superman on laundry day.

You gonna take that? Dang!

I am not going to turn this thread into a bitch-festival. The article and interview with Jen are truely beautiful and THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.

And yes, Jen gave into the pressure of that situation when she was cleary the better player, but loss any ways.......... :wavey:

MarcusRock
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:33 PM
I am not going to turn this thread into a bitch-festival. The article and interview with Jen are truely beautiful and THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.Spoil sport. :(

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Spoil sport. :(

sorry..... :D

Linzi
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:36 PM
She cant handle the pressure anytime. One time i remember she said she couldnt handle the pressure that it was thought she was the only person who could beat the WS. FFS that really is pathetic. It should be a compliment of your skills.

MarcusRock
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:41 PM
She cant handle the pressure anytime. One time i remember she said she couldnt handle the pressure that it was thought she was the only person who could beat the WS. FFS that really is pathetic. It should be a compliment of your skills.Are you gonna take THAT, CapFan#1. Dang!

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Are you gonna take THAT, CapFan#1. Dang!

I guess I just dont really care what Linzi has to say.. I'm still taking in that awesome article and admiring Jen even more than before.

Linzi
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:52 PM
It seems like its the truth and u have no answer...

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:54 PM
But still you shouldn´t take that! Linzi called your fav a choker!

Tratree
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Maybe CapFan#1 is mature and doesn't want to get into the pissing match you so obviously want. Why don't some of you just grow up and stop trying to instigate fights?

On topic, I'm going to the YEC tonight and can't wait to see Jen play tonight!

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Maybe CapFan#1 is mature and doesn't want to get into the pissing match you so obviously want. Why don't some of you just grow up and stop trying to instigate fights?

On topic, I'm going to the YEC tonight and can't wait to see Jen play tonight!

Thanks Tratree!!! :worship: and you were spot on--- I have no use for a stupid pissing match with some of the trolls that live on this board and I just would like to celebrate Jen!

Have a great time tonight, and cheer for Jen for me!! :wavey:

MarcusRock
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Maybe CapFan#1 is mature and doesn't want to get into the pissing match you so obviously want.Thank you, Captain Obvious. And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for this meddling Tratree.Why don't some of you just grow up and stop trying to instigate fights?No. :pOn topic, I'm going to the YEC tonight and can't wait to see Jen play tonight!On topic, may an errant Capriati serve travelling at 110mph find your left nad. :D

Tratree
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Thank you, Captain Obvious. And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for this meddling Tratree.No. :pOn topic, may an errant Capriati serve travelling at 110mph find your left nad. :D
I don't have nads, but thanks for that lovely sentiment :yeah:

Knizzle
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:40 PM
"It was also because the Williamses weren't there and (people were saying) I should win. But there were other good players there. For whatever reason, I didn't (win) and I can't look at it like it was my only chance. That's not very positive."

WOW, I believed her when she said she didn't care that the WS weren't there. Don't buy into the hype Jennifer!! Don't listen to what "people" are saying. Focus on you and your coaches and support system around you. That's one thing I respect so much about the Williams sisters, they don't buy into hype and don't listen to what "people" are saying about them or what they should do. I feel bad that she was affect by all that talk.

Mase
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Great article, thanks!!!!!

harloo
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Well IMO the public was right, she should of won the USO without the presence of the sisters. Lindsay was out, and she was the third best player on HARD court.

Justine has improved alot, but on a hard court Jennifer should have the edge. Of course their is Kim which is also a great opponent when facing Jen, but she had the crowd support behind her and the fact that Kim has choked in big finals.

That's why I'm skeptical about her chances of winning the Championships. It seems like shes haunted by something, and that makes her lose these close 3 set matches.

Now I can understand her struggling with Venus and Serena, or Davenport who has a bigger serve than hers, but when you start struggling against Chanda, and Alex then something is wrong.

Good luck to her at the Championships. :)

PhoenixStorm
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Jennifer is a headcase. She had justine in that match and she let her off the hook. Not because the williamses were not there, whatever. Its because she's a head case.

Lady
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:06 PM
U're all welcome :) :kiss:
I really like this Jen's interview :)

tennisluver99
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:49 PM
and she's not all that good under pressure as we saw....

That's the truth! Remember 2001 Wimbledon, the media was talking about her winning the Grand Slam (yeah right,I knew she wouldn't win the GS), she seemd fine up until the 2nd set of the semis then all of a sudden Henin had taken it to a 3rd set and won. The pressure finally caught up to Capriati.
Though she would have lost to Serena in the quarters, if Serena hadn't gotten that stomach ache.

Anyway, didn't they write an article like this before the US Open? About her being mature and relaxed.
And we all know what happened at the US Open.

CapFan#1
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Cheers to Jen for having a terrific, positive attitude and mature outlook. It will pay you big dividends in the long haul.

Off Topic... why on earth would anyone want to come into a thread celebrating a player and trash them. That just reeks of no class, and immaturity

daustin
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:57 PM
U're all welcome :) :kiss:
I really like this Jen's interview :)

That was a great interview, where did you find this?? They have been trying alot harder this year for more PR on this tournament. The LA Times has been putting alot of Jen's pictures in there. I am a big fan of Jennifer and I think she plays great tennis. What bothers me about her right now is her inability to handle pressure. She will be under alot of pressure this week being the only American with the big name other than Chanda. She has got to figure out how to deal with this kind of stuff. MacEnroe was the one at the U.S. Open who kept saying that this was the only chance that Jennifer had to win this year. I think she let it get to her. She has got to learn how to block this stuff out. Hope she does well. MAY THE TENNIS GODS SHINE DOWN UPON HER THIS WEEK :worship: :worship:

tennisIlove09
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Great article, thank you.

I agree Capriati has really mellowed. It seems her days of being catty are gone...at least right now, with Serena off the tour.

Lady
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:09 PM
That was a great interview, where did you find this?? They have been trying alot harder this year for more PR on this tournament. The LA Times has been putting alot of Jen's pictures in there. I am a big fan of Jennifer and I think she plays great tennis. What bothers me about her right now is her inability to handle pressure. She will be under alot of pressure this week being the only American with the big name other than Chanda. She has got to figure out how to deal with this kind of stuff. MacEnroe was the one at the U.S. Open who kept saying that this was the only chance that Jennifer had to win this year. I think she let it get to her. She has got to learn how to block this stuff out. Hope she does well. MAY THE TENNIS GODS SHINE DOWN UPON HER THIS WEEK :worship: :worship:

It's from EUROSPORT website, sorry I forgot to put a link :angel:

Trish101
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Capfan, too true no class...they are jealous and very envious...evryone gets insecure once in a while, and jennifer was in one of those...but dont go calling her a headcase, thats just trashy.

daustin
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Capfan, too true no class...they are jealous and very envious...evryone gets insecure once in a while, and jennifer was in one of those...but dont go calling her a headcase, thats just trashy.

People who like to trash others like this are usually unhappy and head cases themselves or need to grow up ---so I have just learned to ignore it. Its just all kinda dumb.

THIS WORLD NEEDS MORE LOVE AND LESS HATE! :angel:

jenny161185
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:24 PM
great article - you can do it this time round jen - I think she'll like the round Robin format :)

billie_jean_king
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Bless her! The best thing she could say next is...
'Of course I'll play Fed Cup for you and also be your sex slave'.

DEETHELICK
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Great article. Jen is what you call honest and open.

Some of those quotes are straight from the heart, but are very nice to read.

Good luck Jen! :)

kyk710
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:09 PM
thanks for the article :)

darren cahill
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Nice article...thanks for posting it

and theres a nice photo of jen and kim at a basketball game on yahoo...

tennisluver99
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:37 PM
It's not bashing, it's called the TRUTH.

Capriati can't handle media attention. Has she ever won a title while being labelled as the favorite. No!! Since Capriati isn't the favorite, maybe she can do well here.
We will have to wait and see.

~KKman~
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:40 PM
MATURE?.....at age 27, she better be:rolleyes:

tennisluver99
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:04 AM

She sure wasn't mature at the US Open. Complaining about almost every line call and the blimp.
I can't wait to see what she whines about at the YEC.
She probably will whine about the lights.

Malin
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:38 AM
It's not bashing, it's called the TRUTH.

Capriati can't handle media attention. Has she ever won a title while being labelled as the favorite. No!! Since Capriati isn't the favorite, maybe she can do well here.
We will have to wait and see.

umm yeah she did, when she defended her AO title in 2002

Malin
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:39 AM

many people on this board are way older than that, and they are no where near being mature. :lol: :lol:

tennisluver99
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:57 AM
umm yeah she did, when she defended her AO title in 2002

Yeah, I guess it's hard for Capriati to choke when Hingis did it for her. Too bad for her Henin didn't choke. She might of won then.

IcePrincess
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:59 AM
GREAT ARTICLE!

THANKS FOR THE THREAD! :)

Too bad some fools had to smear feces all over it.

Trash.

:wavey:

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Classy, CapFan. Nice article, too.

oddkayla
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM
For the first time I feel sorry for Jennifer. Even as she is supposed to have grown up and marching to her own band, she still cares a great deal or is really affected by what people think about her. I wonder why? Anyway, I hope she sorts herself out because she is a great player. Maybe her complaining about any and everything while playing is a result of the demons she battles? Who knows!