PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tennis terms and techniques.

Veritas
Nov 4th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know any decent books that explains, in detail, raquet technology? I'm applying for a job as a casual-worker at a sports equipment outlet and I'm almost certain that it'll help me a lot if I knew a bit more about how raquets work, how they're made (e.g. graphite), different materials used to make raquets and which type is suited to different needs (e.g. what kind of raquet are good for hard-hitters).

Also, what's "top-spin", "drop-shot", "spin", "spin-serve", why players need to switch different type of grips, etc? There are quite a few tennis terms I'm not familiar with and when they're used in some of these threads around here, I tend to be a bit lost ;). If someone can direct me to a website that explains the terms and techniques used when playing tennis, that'll be great!

And who here has trouble with serving? It's been six years since I've last picked up a raquet and I've been playing tennis for around 4-5 years. The one problem I have is serving and it's usually trying to toss the ball straight and smack it in the right direction. For those who can serve comfortably: what do you do to solve the problem of erratic ball-tossing? And how long did it take you guys to start serving like a pro (e.g. move on from lollipop serves)?

Just out of curiosity...who here has a livejournal?

I've got tons of studying to complete, so thanks in advance for any help. That'll be greatly appreciated :)

Martian Willow
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:21 AM
...I'd have thought you'd be better off with more practical knowledge than a degree in racket manufacturing...but whatever... http://www.racquettech.com/store/book.html ... :)

...you don't know what a drop shot is...? :confused:

Gowza
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:34 AM
ball toss: if it goes to far out in front of you or not high enough then you are letting it go too early. if the toss is going behind you then you are tossing it too late, you just have to practice. as for hitting it where you want to, before you hit it bring the bal and your racket up in front of you and aim it in the direction you want to hit the ball. also on your serve bring the racket back down behind you and then bring it up. people you take it up straight away are losing out on a lot of options.

in regards to how long it took me to start 'serving like a pro' and you put it, i started 'serving like a pro' from the very first time a picked up a racket. i haven't once lollipoped a serve except for when i've been coaching little kids and we had a coaches challenge.

Veritas
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Willow: No :o I'm embarassed to admit that I'm eons behind most others when it comes to analysing and fully-understanding tennis terms/matches. So what's a "drop shot", "top spin", "...a spin on her serve", and "slice"? :confused:

Gowza: One of the troubles I've had with serving is throwing the ball upwards in a straight, vertical direction (without having to throw it sideways or backwards) and hitting it at the right moment and direction :o I suppose my bad serving is mainly because I've never had anyone teach me how to do it properly. I don't remember ever having anyone tell me what to look for, what grip to use and when to hit. And to think that my parents forked over those lesson-fees for such penut results :rolleyes:

peanuts
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Willow: No :o I'm embarassed to admit that I'm eons behind most others when it comes to analysing and fully-understanding tennis terms/matches. So what's a "drop shot", "top spin", "...a spin on her serve", and "slice"? :confused:

Gowza: One of the troubles I've had with serving is throwing the ball upwards in a straight, vertical direction (without having to throw it sideways or backwards) and hitting it at the right moment and direction :o I suppose my bad serving is mainly because I've never had anyone teach me how to do it properly. I don't remember ever having anyone tell me what to look for, what grip to use and when to hit. And to think that my parents forked over those lesson-fees for such penut results :rolleyes:

im gonna try to answer ur questions as best as i can..im no expert...if u watch tennis matches my explanation would be easier to understand

drop shot=when a players hits the ball with such spin that its only 'drop' over d net...dat's y ppl say its a bad drop shot if it goes way past d net (i.e. d middle of the service box) u'll know when a drop shot is hit when d receiving player scrambles and runs to d net as fast as they can to return d shot

top spin=when players hit d ball from low to high..giving it enough margin for error...top spin is used by most players today....it gives them more consistency on their shots...u'l noticed that wen a players hits with top spin when his/her has a lot of clearance over d net...

i hope that helps...i'm a little sleepy so that's all from me now..i'll let d others enlighten u with ur other questions... :D

Veritas
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Hey, thanks for the tip :)

I get the whole "drop shot" concept now. And if it's not too much to ask, could you explain a bit more about the "top spin" (such as, how it's done, what it looks like when the ball has been hit and what grip/raquet position is needed)?

I just realised I spelt "peanuts" wrong as well :o

K-Dog
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Well, I'm no expert either. I don't hit the ball with top spin that often (mostly flat: low clearence over the net; watch Serena & Venus Williams and Andre Agassi). I think I know enough to help you though. When you hit with top spin, you come under the ball and use your rist to create a control of the spin. The ball should go higher over the net, but drop back into the court with no problem. Watch Kim Clijsters or Andy Roddick to fully understand what I mean by this. It is hard to explain without showing you. The balls bounce should also be higher. Most players that hit a lot of top spin like Amelie Mauresmo, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters or Andy Roddick all have pretty extreme western grips.(I'm no expert on grips) Hope this helps. I know that it is pretty confusing. Also on your serve, make sure your elbow is bent with your arm going up, and keep your head up until the second you make contact. Follow through across your body and into the court.

peanuts
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm no expert either. I don't hit the ball with top spin that often (mostly flat: low clearence over the net; watch Serena & Venus Williams and Andre Agassi). I think I know enough to help you though. When you hit with top spin, you come under the ball and use your rist to create a control of the spin. The ball should go higher over the net, but drop back into the court with no problem. Watch Kim Clijsters or Andy Roddick to fully understand what I mean by this. It is hard to explain without showing you. The balls bounce should also be higher. Most players that hit a lot of top spin like Amelie Mauresmo, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters or Andy Roddick all have pretty extreme western grips.(I'm no expert on grips) Hope this helps. I know that it is pretty confusing. Also on your serve, make sure your elbow is bent with your arm going up, and keep your head up until the second you make contact. Follow through across your body and into the court.

k-dog is right dismal..its hard to explain wat top spin is without seeing it...just watch those players k-dog mentioned and u'll realize what he means...just to add more on d grips...western grips are d best grip to use when u want to hit with more top spin..players like agassi use d semi-western grip (i used this grip as well)...unlike d extreme western grip this grip gives ur more of a chance to hit a flat shot..a flat shot is when u hit d ball with little spin but with more power...simply put players with top spin in their shots has more control than those who hit with flat shots because of d high clearance at d net that a top spin can produce...hope that helps...