PDA

View Full Version : YEC Ticket Sales Up From Last Year, But Williams Sisters Will Be Missed

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Serena, Venus planning New Year comebacks

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 4 — Former world number ones Serena and Venus Williams, who have been out of action since Wimbledon, are both planning to make their tour comebacks in Australia in January.

The two sisters will again be absent when the elite, eight-woman WTA Tour Championships begin here on Wednesday.

But six-times grand slam champion Serena confirmed on Monday that she would play in the Hopman Cup mixed team event in Perth from January 3-10.

Venus, meanwhile, said she was targeting the Australian Open (January 19-February 1) in Melbourne for her first tournament back.

Reigning Australian Open and Wimbledon champion Serena underwent knee surgery in August. Venus has been nursing an abdominal tear since the All-England championships in July.

''I'm definitely planning on playing the Australian (Open),'' Venus told reporters on Monday while refusing to commit to any warm-up events.
Serena said: ''I'm going to play the Hopman Cup. I really enjoyed that last year.''

Appearing at the annual WTA Tour Charities Gala and Fashion Show in Santa Monica, the Williams sisters said their minds did wander back to the court, even though they were deeply involved in the fashion show.

The show was directed by Serena and included several professional models and players including Venus, top-ranked Kim Clijsters, Jennifer Capriati, Elena Dementieva and Anastasia Myskina.

GREAT ATMOSPHERE
Venus reached the 2002 WTA Tour Championships semi-finals, losing to Clijsters, who went on to beat Serena in the final.

''We really miss being on the tour,'' Serena said. ''It's such a great atmosphere, it's like one big family.

''Obviously I miss it a lot but don't want to dwell on it too much. Once I realised I couldn't play, I just got focused on doing the fashion show.''

Venus, who first sustained her abdominal tear at a tournament in Warsaw in April, decided to withdraw from this week's event on Sunday.

''I'm disappointed I couldn't be in the championships but, the way I look at it, some things aren't meant to be,'' Venus said.

''I'm looking forward to starting up next year. I'm doing a lot better, I'm approaching the 90th percentile, but it took a lot longer than I ever imagined.''

While ticket sales for the tournament are up on last year, other competitors realise it will not be easy to pack the arena this week without the Williams sisters, who grew up in nearby Compton.

''This tournament is so special that you want the best to be there,'' Clijsters said.

''Especially without Venus and Serena, it's a tough situation. It's not the same without them. I miss playing them.''

Reigning French and U.S. Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne agreed.

''The players miss them and the tournaments do for sure because they are doing a great job for women's tennis,'' Henin-Hardenne said.

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited.

ys
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:22 PM
''The players miss them and the tournaments do for sure because they are doing a great job for women's tennis,'' Henin-Hardenne said.[/b]

Is she ever sincere?

tenn_ace
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Is she ever sincere?

will you ever get off her bacK?

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Is she ever sincere?

I don't know. I think she may be sincere when it comes to Venus, but I am not so sure about Serena.

Rocketta
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:25 PM
um it won't take much for ticket sales to go up from last year! :lol:

jimbo mack
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:27 PM
players need to make the most of V and S not being there. next year when they come back, the other players are gonna get a shock when they get the williams treatment.

henin will start running out of ideas how to use her bad sportsmanship to put them off :)

ys
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
will you ever get off her bacK?

No, as long as she does not admit wrongdoing at RG. As soon as she simply suggests that she could have behaved better, she'll be off my booing list.

tenn_ace
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:38 PM
No, as long as she does not admit wrongdoing at RG. As soon as she simply suggests that she could have behaved better, she'll be off my booing list.

enjoy.

Paneru
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Are the tickets refundable?

-Sonic-
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:42 PM
''We really miss being on the tour,'' Serena said. ''It's such a great atmosphere, it's like one big family"

WTF?! Surely not?

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Are the tickets refundable?

I don't think so.

If the topic I just saw is true, they could possibly lose another player, so Naida beterr be ready to play.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Is she ever sincere?

:lol: :tape:

Mrs. Peel
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:11 PM

:worship:

They will sell 10 extra tickets :p :o

Paneru
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:22 PM
I don't think so.

I guess some people have to learn
not to buy tickets too far in advance.

harloo
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM

:lol :tape: :

ico4498
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I don't know. I think she may be sincere when it comes to Venus, but I am not so sure about Serena.

why Venus over Serena? ... seems she has a better chance with Serena ....

Diya
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:30 PM
I tought with the Williamses not playing . no one would have bothered to show up( at the ticket counters that is ) , but it turns out the sales are actually higher !:eek: ;)

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:32 PM
why Venus over Serena? ... seems she has a better chance with Serena ....

While more players say Serena is friendlier, they repsect Venus mroe because she has more respect for them.

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:33 PM
I tought with the Williamses not playing . no one would have bothered to show up( at the ticket counters that is ) , but it turns out the sales are actually higher !:eek: ;)

These tickets were sold long before they withdrew and they cannot be refunded.

BTW, the sales are not that much better than last year.

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:34 PM
My point was already made...it's not hard to outsell last year's attendance

harloo
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:36 PM

''The players miss them and the tournaments do for sure because they are doing a great job for women's tennis,'' Henin-Hardenne said.

:lol:

Justine is sincere. She said "the players and the tournaments" miss them. However "she" does not miss them. And why should she? She seems to have become the queen of tennis with their absence. Too bad the fairytale will end next year.

Ya gotta love Henin though, always brutally honest.(well at least at her press conferences anyways). :lol: ;)

persond
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Can't get over the fact that Serena "directed" the fashion show...!!! Wonder how Jenn was able to "take direction" from Serena...??? Inquiring minds want to know...!!! :angel: :angel:

Tratree
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:41 PM
BTW, the sales are not that much better than last year.
And you know this how? I know they had sold more tickets weeks ago than they did the entire tournament last year and they are averaging about 7,000 a session right now. Can we at least get one session in before everyone says the attendance is abysmal and a failure?

jenny161185
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:44 PM
lol at the one the one big family thing! tickets are up which is good - maybe people are interested about the battle for number one

wongqks
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Philadephia proves that you do not need to rely 100% on big names to attract crowd, what you need to do is to have a sensible ticket price, an adeuate promotion locally and the people will come and enjoy a day of tennis.

The chance is that the attendance will be bad this year, but if it is an improvement, it will be ghood news for them and it will prove that a good promotion will do wonders to attendance record, we will have to wait and see..

darrinbaker00
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Can't get over the fact that Serena "directed" the fashion show...!!! Wonder how Jenn was able to "take direction" from Serena...??? Inquiring minds want to know...!!! :angel: :angel:

Don Richard has more muscle than Don Stefano, that's how..... ;)

lizchris
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:03 AM
And you know this how? I know they had sold more tickets weeks ago than they did the entire tournament last year and they are averaging about 7,000 a session right now. Can we at least get one session in before everyone says the attendance is abysmal and a failure?

If the sales were going very well, we would have heard about it by now.

We will see tomorrow and Thursday how the attenndence is.

Brian Stewart
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:10 AM
I'm not surprised that ticket sales this year are up (although, as mentioned, that's hardly a monumental feat). It seems that this year, they've actually done a bit of promotion. Still not as much as they could have, but anything's better than last year's "stealth tourney".

The key is to build and promote the event as an event. Turn it into something important, then it won't matter who's competing. The presence of star players will just be a bonus.

switz
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:16 AM
i don't want ticket sales to go well because i want this to become a worldwide tournament like the masters cup.

vs1
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Well, for anyone who bought tickets last year (such as me), Staples sales office sent us loads of promo & phone calls guaranteeing our seats. So they probably got a good chunk of repeat customers because it felt so intimate last year. They started trying to book these tickets back in Feb. So that's good on their part. So if they can get a good number of repeat customers from last year, and add to it, then it'll certainly bring the attendance up. They have been promoting it a bit (because I received a flyer recently) and might I add that SERENA WILLIAMS is the face of the promotion. :lol: The postcard was a picture of Serena in action. At least they know the face of tennis when they see it.

I do hope that they do well. It'll be good for tennis. And it'll be good for the event. And that certainly cannot be a bad thing! :)