PDA

View Full Version : Is Dementieva of 2000 better than Dementieva 2003???

Foot_Fault
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Hello,
Well I went through my archives last nite and watched the 2000 Olympics Gold Medal Match....and realized, THEN Dementieva was Awsome although that was the Year of Venus, she played a pretty good match and GOOD Olympics to make it that far.

That was also the year she tore through the US Open Field and got to the Semi's. In my assessment, the aggression then is not the same, even the served looked better. So my question looking back was she better then or now? Can she take parts of that game and reinvent it?

What do she need to do to get back to the Top of the SPort? After seeing that match, I kinda want her to excel. She's is the more Naturally talented Russian, Next to Sharapova.

ys
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:21 PM
No. 2003 will be considered better if she does at least one of:

- making it to semis in LA
- winning Fed Cup

** K i t t y **
I find posters who assume Sharapova to be the most talented Russian to be quite hilarious.

Cam'ron Giles
Sup dog...Holler atcha boy...

jimbo mack
i thought her serve was alot better in those days. i dont think she takes as many risks as she used to and plays it more safe to get more consistent results, like she has this year.

bandabou
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I recall that back then her serve was less of a liability than it is now..but now she is more consistent. So she will have to find a middle-ground. better serve and still consistent.

jimbo mack
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:33 PM
I recall that back then her serve was less of a liability than it is now..but now she is more consistent. So she will have to find a middle-ground. better serve and still consistent.

Her serve was much more powerful back then.

she used her serve as her main weapon in beating rubin in indian wells quarter- final

her serve is not as powerful now, but has more spin to mix up the pace

Foot_Fault
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Sup CAM'RON
Kitty go buy a fucking Clue, then talk to me.

James, Her serve was so much better. the Mechanics and the pace....i agree, she isn't as aggressive as she was, but can get back there. she has a natual talent for the game that can't be taught, which is her anticipation and movement, although she missed alot of Venus' supposedly winners she got the racket on the ball.....I think movement wise and stroke wise she's up there.

She has fallen in confidence and the Intangibles that she need. All and All, she's can get the swagger back.

Foot_Fault
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Her serve had pace, I think she's been trying to be more crafty on the serve and abandoned what works for her, therefore resulting in lack of pace and accuracy.

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I think she is better right now....But the level is higher so it seems the opposite!

joao
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:14 PM
2000 : ZERO titles
2003: TWO titles

Even with a very unreliable serve, she did better this year than in 2000 ... who cares if she reached the SF @ the Olympics and the USO in 2000? She did not win them ... nobody will remember that but everybody will remember 2003 as her breakthrough year!

jimbo mack
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM
i think demetieva has a better 2003 than 2000.

HOWEVER, she was more spetacular in 2000 (olympics, us open ,indian wells)

but she has been more consistent in 2003

people dont remember player for their consistency, they remember them for achivements like silver medals, and reaching the semis at US

not for winning a couple of tier 2's

ys
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:20 PM
2000 : ZERO titles
2003: TWO titles

Three.

-Sonic-
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:56 PM
There weren't 100 threads about her serve in 2000 as far as I recall hehe :)

I am gonna say that 2003 was better, based on results. I haven't watched my tapes of a lot of 2003 yet so I can't comment on her actual play.

Dava
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:30 PM
No I dont think so. I think there have been patches of this year where Elena has been playing the best tennis of her career.

JLDementieva
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:35 PM
I think this year has been a lot better for her than 2000, and it's probably has to do with the fact that she has matured a lot as a player. She knows what to do (sometimes) when she is under pressure.

Foot_Fault
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Winning titles vs. Playing potential...
Ok, winning tier 2's are cool, any player can breakthrough and do it. I think what James and myself see is, her attack and movenment was relentless. If she coupled that with the Serve of 2000 and the consistency and maturity of 2003 we have a top 5 player here. Olympics finals...silver medal...........HUGH ACHIEVEMENT in my book, GS Semi finals, can state your claim. Tier 2's and 3's good...but COnsistency is much better.

I think her aggression and serve fell off. the 2003 three play with the 2000 attitued will give her a huge edge.

harloo
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I honestly feel that Dementieva was better back in the day. When she got to the U.S. Open semis that year she gave Davenport a scare. Her serve was better, he groundstrokes were more lethal, and her mental state was better.

However now the serve is weaker, she makes more errors, and she is just not aggressive as she once was. She has won a few tournaments, but I don't feel as though she is a potential top 5 anymore.

DEETHELICK
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:52 PM
2003 IMO.

Dementieva has matured as a player. When she burst out in 2000, she wasn't afraid to just attack and attack some more. But when she hit the Top 10, she realised that others were attacking her on court and she began to lose her aggression.

Her serve was better then, but her BH was a huge liability.

Today, she has won three titles, defeated numerous Top 10 players (something she hadn't done for a long time) and is a Top 10 player. No tennis player is aggressive all the time, there has to be a balance.

Elena is more balanced now, still moves well, has powerful shots, but she knows when to rally rather than go for a winner everytime.

I think 2004 will show us what Elena can really do.

Leo_DFP
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:54 PM
No, she was not.