PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a Chinese toptenner in half a decade?

CamilleVidann
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I really believe at least one Chinese player will have broken into the top 10 by then. I can't tell you which one but I'm just totally convinced of this. The same thing that's happening to the Russians is likely to happen on an even bigger scale.

alfajeffster
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:45 PM
I really believe at least one Chinese player will have broken into the top 10 by then. I can't tell you which one but I'm just totally convinced of this. The same thing that's happening to the Russians is likely to happen on an even bigger scale.

It's going to be very difficult- unless they can produce a female athlete as big as Yao the basketball player. Chinese and Japanese women on average are less than 5'6" tall, and the only one in the top ten of that stature is Justine- and she's a very unique individual- no comparison really between her and someone like Kimiko Date or any of the current crop of Chinese or Southeast Asian girls.

Declan
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Can I ask: what make you think this? What 'totally convinces' you? What are they doing in China that may result in this turn-around in their historical tennis fortunes?