PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters to return in January

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Williams sisters plan to return in January

November 4, 2003
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) -- Serena and Venus Williams plan to return to playing tennis in January, six months after each of them was sidelined with injuries.

They each plan to play in the Australian Open, beginning Jan. 19. Serena is the defending champion, having beaten Venus for the title.

Serena had left knee surgery Aug. 1, and she said Monday night that her knee is ``doing really good.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Serena said her first event in 2004 will be the Hopman Cup in Perth, Australia, a mixed team event that begins Jan. 3. She and James Blake won last year's title for the United States.

Serena had a 38-3 match record and won the Australian Open and Wimbledon titles this year. She was a semifinalist at the French Open, then skipped the U.S. Open after having surgery.

Venus also has resumed hitting in preparation for playing an unspecified warmup event before the Australian Open.

Neither sister has played since Wimbledon, where Venus lost to Serena in the final. Venus has been sidelined with a strained abdominal muscle that first bothered her in April.

xr6turbo
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Oh good, that is a relief!! To know that they are both planning to come back and to know that Serena does plan to play the Hopman Cup!!

Sounds like Venus was just resting her stomach till there was absolutely no pain at all. I wonder what warm-up event she will be playing??

:bounce: :bounce:

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:15 AM
at this point...I won't believe anything till they actually come out on the court.

SerialKiller#69
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Cool.

LucasArg
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:49 AM
I am so glad maybe Venus plays some warm up event before the OZ :D

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:54 AM
I wonder if Venus will play Sydney :unsure:

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:00 AM
I wonder if Venus will play Sydney :unsure:I doubt it. I think that's one week before the Aussie right?? I don't know if Venus would do that. She does it a New Haven though, but that's the only one she's done it at recently.

tennnisfannn
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Venus is playing the Hong Kong exhibition.

Hurley
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:26 AM
So will the Aus Open bump their seedings to Nos 3 and 4 ???

Serena will be ranked 3, so she'll be seeded 3 anyway.

As for Venus...who knows?

persond
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:02 AM
at this point...I won't believe anything till they actually come out on the court.

So, it seems there's someone else other than "Thomas" that's a "doubter" too...!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*persond wonders to himself, why in hell should WtaTour4Ever care about when Venus returns to the tour...??? It's not like he's a fan...!!!*

Chance
Nov 4th, 2003, 11:01 AM
stop being so sensitive Persond.. WtaTour4Ever is a Venus and Serena fan!

I'm assuming unspecified warmup event is the Hong Kong exhibition.

SJW
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Serena and James :drool:

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:03 PM
So, it seems there's someone else other than "Thomas" that's a "doubter" too...!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*persond wonders to himself, why in hell should WtaTour4Ever care about when Venus returns to the tour...??? It's not like he's a fan...!!!*

haha ... thanks Sunset

A) I am a huge fan!!!!!

B) I am a she.

What is wrong with what I said......?

nikita771
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:08 PM
They're coming back. Hurrah!

Chance
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Serena will be back for the Hopman Cup in Perth from 3 January, and Venus two weeks later at the Australian Open.

The sisters will be absent from the eight-woman WTA Tour Championships, starting on Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Venus first picked up an abdominal tear at a tournament in Warsaw in April, while Serena underwent knee surgery in August.

Venus to miss season climax
"I'm definitely planning on playing the Australian," said Venus, speaking at at the annual WTA Tour Charities Gala and Fashion Show in Santa Monica.

"I'm disappointed I couldn't be in the championships but, the way I look at it, some things aren't meant to be.

"I'm looking forward to starting up next year. I'm doing a lot better, I'm approaching the 90th percentile, but it took a lot longer than I ever imagined."

Serena said: "I'm going to play the Hopman Cup. I really enjoyed that last year.

"We really miss being on the tour. It's such a great atmosphere, it's like one big family.

"Obviously I miss it a lot but don't want to dwell on it too much."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39528000/jpg/_39528065_williams_ap_203.jpg

jenny161185
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:15 PM
like one big family??? Good to hear they are definately coming back at the start of the season though

ChrisGermany
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM
I wonder what decision the WTA takes to avoid a sisters quarterfinal at the Australian or whatsoever.

Venus is expected to drop to 10 or 11 after LA and this won´t change if she just plays the exhibition event.

Playing Gold Coast would lift her rankings to 8 or 9 maybe, but this won´t have that major effect on her seed if the WTA does not decide to prefer her compared to Lindsay (if playing), Amelie or Jenn.

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Venus is playing the Hong Kong exhibition.

I think she is playing antoher event other than Sydney.

xr6turbo
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:53 PM
It's good to know that Venus is getting better!! :)

"Serena said: "I'm going to play the Hopman Cup. I really enjoyed that last year.""

Thats good Serena cos we really enjoyed having you here!!! :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Williams sisters to return in January

By BETH HARRIS
.c The Associated Press

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) - Serena and Venus Williams, each sidelined with injuries since July, plan to return to the WTA Tour in January.

Serena is the defending champion at the Australian Open, which begins Jan. 19. She hasn't played since defeating older sister Venus for the Wimbledon title in July.

That's also the last time Venus played because she aggravated an abdominal muscle in the semifinals.

No. 3 Serena and seventh-ranked Venus each will miss the season-ending WTA Championships beginning Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Serena had left knee surgery Aug. 1, and she said her knee is ``doing really good.''

``I've been staying in pretty good shape. I'm not gaining any weight'' she said Monday night after debuting her own fashion line called Aneres at a charity benefit.

Serena said her first event in 2004 will be the Hopman Cup in Perth, Australia, a mixed team event that begins Jan. 3. She and James Blake won last year's title for the United States.

``I'm pretty much there now,'' she said, adding that she's resumed practicing. ``My mom and dad don't want me to rush anything, so I'm trying to take my time.''

Serena had a 38-3 match record and won the Australian Open and Wimbledon titles this year. She was a semifinalist at the French Open, then skipped the U.S. Open after having surgery.

Venus also has resumed hitting in preparation for playing an unspecified warmup event before the Australian Open.

``I'm really doing a lot better,'' she said. ``Until a few weeks ago, I was really just in the down and outs with the injury. I just realized one day I'm doing better, but it took a while to get to that point.''

Venus first strained her abdominal muscle in late April. The injury flared up in the Wimbledon semifinals, and she was in obvious pain playing her sister in the final.

In hindsight, Venus said she shouldn't have played the French Open in May, where she lost in the fourth round.

``I guess that's what helped me also make that decision not to play the U.S. Open because I realized the damage I had done to myself in previous tournaments,'' she said. ``I'll get a good start next year, 100 percent healthy, hopefully.''

Venus lost to Serena in this year's Australian Open and Wimbledon finals.

In addition to Serena's fashion line, Venus debuted a small collection of her leather designs at the WTA Tour charity event Monday night.

One of the charities chosen by the Williams sisters was Stop the Violence, a nonprofit group formed to counteract violence, drugs and crime among youth.

Their half-sister, Yetunde Price, was shot to death Sept. 14 while riding with a companion in a sport utility vehicle in Compton. Price was the sisters' personal assistant.

Neither Serena nor Venus took any questions Monday night about the shooting.

11/04/03 02:30 EST

Foot_Fault
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:13 PM
i dont think Venus Cares what her seeding or ranking is in the Intrim, only being sided on Serena's Draw that will be the kicker.

as for them returning to OZ....we TRUE williams fans knew that....Y comeback this year? I thought it was to soon...glad they took this time off to do things they wanted to do and redefine themselves...Probably the game too! LOL

Looking forward to January!

** K i t t y **
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Unless you personally know Venus or Serena... you don't have any idea if they're coming back.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:26 PM
I doubt Venus cares about her seeding, she knows if she's healthy she will make it to the semis and beyond, the other players need to think about early return flights if she's seeded to meet them in the 4tth or quartes.

Bероника
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Great news!!!!

GO GIRLS!!!!

Foot_Fault
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Preach Da Forehand!!