PDA

View Full Version : Ilke Gers, New Zealander Qualifies! 1st NZ Girl 2 qualify for WTA event for 10+ years

AUSBOY
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Ilke Gers (429) defeated Sandra Klemenschits 8th seed (372) 6-7(4) 6-4 6-0 in the final round of qualifying at Pattaya to move into the main singles draw!

She's drawn top seed Tammy Tanasugarn(1) lets hope she can put up a respectable fight!

Still its a great achievement for her and an encouraging result for New Zealand Tennis. Ilke's ranking will rise up into at least the 380's only a few places from her career high.

The results have been pleasing for New Zealand of late with both Leanne Baker and Ilke Gers doing well the last couple of months.

Leanne reached the final of Spoleto $10K and quarter finals of Glasgow $25K in the last 2 months adding 17 points onto her ranking. She has also reached the Semis of two more $10Ks this year. She's had wins over both Ilke and Shelley in recent months reinforcing her ability as the most talented New Zealander. She's also beaten talented Emma Laine, Karen Paterson, Chantel Coombs.

Ilke Gers qualified for Jersey $25K and reached the last 16 and now has qualified for this WTA event, her rank has moved up nearly 100 places in the last few months. She has also carved up on the doubles court winning a $25K and reaching the doubles finals at both Jersey and Glasgow $25K rising her doubles rank to the 220's from the 400's. She's had singles wins this year over Claudine Schaul, Bryanne Stewart, Tessy Van de Ven, Aurelija Miseviciute, & S. Okamoto

Both Leanne and Ilke in my opinion are more talented than Shelley Stephens. But even Shelley has had a few good wins this year Lilia Osterloh, Raluca Sandu, Francesca Lubiani. However the other two girls are catching her, Ilke will only be 20-30 ranking places away after next week.

Need I also mention the sensational debut season for the two Marama sisters!

Eden has gone 13-1 in $10K's since August picking up 2 titles scoring a tight win over in form Nicole Kriz! Her rank is bordering 500. Eden has picked up 5 x $10K titles with her sister Paula who recently qualified and reach the last 16 of a $25K event which they also reached the doubles semis in. Paula's ranked will shoot up into the low 600's next week. Definitely a success debut season for these two girls.

Randy H
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:52 AM
great to see the girls from New Zealand moving up :) Hopefully they will keep pushing eachother to raise their games and show what they can achieve :)

congrats Ilke!

AUSBOY
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:55 AM
1992 was the last time a New Zealander won 2 matches in the singles event at a WTA tournament whether that be qualifying or main draw and the was Claudine Toleafoa when she upset 3rd seed Larissa Neiland to reach the Quarter Finals at the WTA Event in Wellington. Incidently New Zealand was in the World Group for Fed Cup that year :eek:

Randy H
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:18 AM
wow, been a while!

I remember a few years back Leanne beat Miriam Oremans in Auckland, before losing to Dominique in the next round.

I think Rewa Hudson also won a match in Auckland (can't remember who she beat), but not 100% on that - Anyone know what she is doing these days?

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Good on you Ilke :yeah:

She is such a nice girl, I met her earlier this year and she was very sweet :inlove:

btw, was it Ilke that beat Anastassia Rodionova in Auckland qualifying this year? :scratch: I know it was one the the Kiwi girls :)

AUSBOY
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Ilke beat Claudine Schaul in Auckland Qualies this year.

both Leanne and Rewa had main draw wins in Auckland. Rewa beat Rika Hiraki.

Other than that its only been Shelley Stephens who has had about 5 wins in WTA Qualifying Draws, but she's never been able to string 2 wins together like Ilke did.

azza
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Go New Zealand chicks :D

Benny
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Good on her:)

Steveg
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Too bad Ilke lost to Tamarine. She should be pleased to have taken the first set though :) .

Ilke started wrongly being broken immediately. But she changed her strategy and it paid off :D .

Unfortunately, she did not maintain her focus at the beginning of the second set, that is so important. She tried to overdo it and ended up hitting too many UE, giving too many opportunities to Tamarine. She tried to fight back but the break was here.

In the third set, the first two games were tight, but Ilke could not maintain the pace after. I believe she was more tired than Tamarine (Ilke can't affort a personal physical trainer, yet ;) ).

It's a good experience anyway for a first WTA match against an experienced player. I hope Ilke will have more opportunities in the future to play similar events :D .

She plays well and she's a nice girl :) .

Go Ilke :bounce: .

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Thats right twas Claudine ;)

Anyway, good fight Ilke :D

AUSBOY
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Ilke is into the semi finals of the doubles! What an unbelievable week for her and NZ tennis.

This result along with Leanne Baker and Rewa Hudson 1st round wins at Auckland is up there with the best results by a NZ player in the last 10 years! Sad but true, but keep goin Ilke!

Disappointed for Trudi but she is clearly suffering fatigue

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Go Ilke/Robbee :D