PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo defeats Myskina to win WTA Philly title

News Rover
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:12 AM
PHILADELPHIA: Amelie Mauresmo turned the tables on Anastasia Myskina and ended a title drought of more than five months at the Advanta Championships.

Mauresmo rallied to beat Myskina 5-7, 6-0, 6-2 Sunday in the final of the $585,000 indoor event. You beat me last time in Moscow, and now its my turn here in Philly, Mauresmo told Myskina during the trophy ceremony. The second-seeded Frenchwoman avenged a loss to Myskina in the final of the Kremlin Cup in October.

Mauresmo captured her second title of the year in five finals and first since the J and S Cup at Warsaw. She picked up that win when Venus Williams retired in the third set of the final. The 24-year-old Frenchwoman beat Myskina for the third time in four meetings, notching her 10th career tournament victory. She earned $93,000. I felt at the beginning that it was tough physically to move well, especially after last night, said Mauresmo, who outlasted Ai Sugiyama, 3-6, 7-6 (8/6), 7-5, in Saturdays semi-finals. This was the first loss in five finals this year for Myskina, who had triumphed at Doha, Sarasota, Leipzig and Moscow. The 22-year-old Russian earned $49,500. Both Mauresmo and Myskina have qualified for the elite eight-player field for next weeks WTA Tour Championships at Staples Center in Los Angeles. AFP