PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Capriati-AO 2004 Champion?***IMPORTANT***

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:50 AM
This is going to be an interesting slam for Jennifer, she never really defended her 2002 title well, losing in the first round after undergoing eye surgery. Well this year or next year is a whole nother ball game, she has a chance to earn mega points @ the open and possibly get herself back in the hunt for the World #1 title if she wins it. Its very possible, this is her best surface, results wise and shes always comfortable slugging away her powerfull forhands and backhands on this fast rebound ace. I think if she wins the YEC her confidence will be once again in the place it needs to be to regain the mantle as head bitch of the pack. Can she do it? Can she wave the other girls aside and reclaim her title as Queen Down Under? i think she can!

Give me your thoughts on her chances and why and or why not she may win or lose!

Venus Forever
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:51 AM
If she can't beat a cramping Justine, No.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:53 AM
This is going to be an interesting slam for Jennifer, she never really defended her 2002 title well, losing in the first round after undergoing eye surgery. Well this year or next year is a whole nother ball game, she has a chance to earn mega points @ the open and possibly get herself back in the hunt for the World #1 title if she wins it. Its very possible, this is her best surface, results wise and shes always comfortable slugging away her powerfull forhands and backhands on this fast rebound ace. I think if she wins the YEC her confidence will be once again in the place it needs to be to regain the mantle as head bitch of the pack. Can she do it? Can she wave the other girls aside and reclaim her title as Queen Down Under? i think she can!

Give me your thoughts on her chances and why and or why not she may win or lose!

Rebound ace is slow. I don't think Capriati will do it, but I think she will make the semis for sure.

Hots4Safin
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:57 AM
She could do well here, but I don't think she'll win it. You never, depends on how the draw goes. She needs to not draw VENUS, SERENA, JUSTINE, KIM, or AMELIE. Otherwise she's fine ;)

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:58 AM
I dunno about all of you but id LOVE to see a Venus-Capriati final...anybody with me on that?

That would be a REAL dream match...Jens best surface versus a lady shes never beaten...wow IF both women played there 100% best tennis, i think it would be the best final in AO history.

(im shivering at the thought!)

PatM04
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:08 AM
When she's confident she can beat anyone. But so can all of the top players. If they all play at their best level it's anyones tournament. Good luck to her:)

disposablehero
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:08 AM
If the Williams come back in good form, her chances are pretty poor. If neither does, then she's only a clear underdog to 2 players, which gives her a chance.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:15 AM
i dunno if "underdog" is the right word, i remember when Serena was the underdog to Jennifer, remember those days? (i do) anyhow its anygirls chance, im just saying Jen has a good chance, willies or no.

disposablehero
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:17 AM
i dunno if "underdog" is the right word, i remember when Serena was the underdog to Jennifer, remember those days? (i do) anyhow its anygirls chance, im just saying Jen has a good chance, willies or no.

The 3 or 4 month period when Jen owned Serena really is the centrepiece of your life, isn't it? Hell, back then Jen was still a better player than Kim and Justine too. How quickly times change.

MisterQ
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:18 AM
I dunno about all of you but id LOVE to see a Venus-Capriati final...anybody with me on that?

That would be a REAL dream match...Jens best surface versus a lady shes never beaten...wow IF both women played there 100% best tennis, i think it would be the best final in AO history.

I would love to see a Venus-Capriati final too.

In fact, I would love to see ANY match between Venus and Jennifer. They haven't played in an very long time!

franny
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I doubt Jen will win the Aussie OPen, I'm not saying its not possible, but really the U.S. Open was her best chance to win another slam. I know she has proven us wrong many times before, but her level of play has stayed the same since 2001 while her counterparts all have increased their level. If she plays her best and Venus plays her best, it will be a straight set victory for venus(like 6-4, 6-3). When the Williams play their best, there isn't a single player out there who can beat them, its been shown. Its pretty scary. I think that its just the nature of the way they play and how darn aggressive they are. Jen isn't as aggressive as the williams so when Jen and William Sister both play their best, Jen's gonna get beat. Mainly because of the William's superior serving and athleticism and overall power.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:21 AM
3-4 onths? it was a tiny bit longer than that, gurly. And no, jennifers career is hardly my centerpeice, MY career is.

-latter toots

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:23 AM
well i guess we dont have to worry about a willy playing "there best" because they hardly win against Jen 6-4 6-3...and i dont think they will anytime soon...Anna maybe.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Jens beaten Martina 6-4 6-3 though, twice in fact....

Venus Forever
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:24 AM

I'm with you on this one. ;)

bello
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Yeah would be a good final, i hope Jenn raises the bar a it and can get back in the runnning for top spot, why not! Stranger thngs have happen...GO JENN!!! Youre a champion!

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:30 AM
well i guess we dont have to worry about a willy playing "there best" because they hardly win against Jen 6-4 6-3...and i dont think they will anytime soon...Anna maybe.

Venus played average and beat Capriati, 6-4, 6-2 at the US Open.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:31 AM
i think we should go to both Jenny and Vee and order them to play there best so they can make the finals and give us a match for the ages...

i cant remember if theres a tie break, but if there ismt im thinking 16-14 in the third.....

VENUS ORRRR JENNIFER 6-3 (Jennifer) 5-7 (Venus) 14-14 in the third set....i dunno but that sounds finger lickin good to me!

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:33 AM
ohh and in that match, Cappy had a mental meltdown...she couldnt have beaten Vee even if she played well ( and she didnt) so Jen didnt deserv to win anyways.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:37 AM
i think we should go to both Jenny and Vee and order them to play there best so they can make the finals and give us a match for the ages...

i cant remember if theres a tie break, but if there ismt im thinking 16-14 in the third.....

VENUS ORRRR JENNIFER 6-3 (Jennifer) 5-7 (Venus) 14-14 in the third set....i dunno but that sounds finger lickin good to me!

Truthfully and seriously, Jennifer can't hold serve enough to beat Venus and Venus isn't going to play pong with her for a set and a half like Serena does. Capriati lasting to 14-14 in a third set is a joke.

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Venus vs Jennifer could actually be a quarterfinal match? I would love this as the final match, but they could get drawn against each other even earlier realistically. AO 2004 is a great chance for Jen to gain some serious ranking points and I'm sure she can do it. Win the title or not, her ranking is bound to improve at least 1 or 2 places.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Play pong? wow would you like to return jennifers puffball serve? lets get real people, Jennifer would not be where she is today if she didnt have a fast serve....a GREAT serve. Dont insult Jennifer by reffering this to a game of Pong, or else your in for a war...Pong? LMAO thats almost too funny for words, not.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:46 AM
typo, i meant "puff ball" with quotations, because thats what jennifer said after Serena rudely insulted her serve...and Jenny being the 'bitch' that she is reminded the media of the 5 aces she hit with her "puffball" 114 MPH serve. Puffball my ass.

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:53 AM
I really don't think Jennifer lost last year because of her eyes. I think it was because she had the nerves with Serena winning all the slams and all. I really don't see Jennifer getting to the final, unless she overcomes her big mental block. Jennifer could have won 500 more slams if she just didn't have an attitude, and all you Jenn fans know that.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:53 AM
When did Serena say Jen's serve was a "puff ball"?? I want to read that, that would be a good laugh. Yes Serena plays pong with Jen for a set and a half until she decides to take over (don't ask me why she waits so long) and blow Capriati off the court. Capriati's serve sucks. She can't hit it consistently anywhere near 114. She doesn't get good placement on it either. Maybe that's why Serena said it was a "puff ball" serve.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:14 AM
WOW, well i want you to see how Jennifer whips your ass in a tennis match Knizzy so you see just how "pong" she plays biotch. Jennifer doesnt have time to play Serena tennis she plays JENNIFER tennis, and thats hitting the ball as hard as she does and consistantly getting the ball back, thats not 'pong' thats big babe tennis thank you.

Dont talk to me about venus ok?> FACE IT, they havnt payed in 2 years, almost three, so WHY do you always talk about Vee and Jen when there is NO vee and jen? There never was, its always benn Ree and Jen, get your WIlliams straight boy.

And i remember JEN saying she didnt have a puffball serve after she beat serena in the quarters @ the french in 01, Jen doesnt have to do anything to up her game, shes already there, and as for her serve, its better than yours and everyone elses around here, so you cant start being an expert on serving when you probably cant cserv well yourself, its called HYPOCRICY (and you doing a fine job at that)

good day Knizzle- you managed to once again insult others without even trying, bravo!

azza
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:20 AM

:rolleyes: :(

LiliaLee-Frazier
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Yeah..just like serena can't beat a waving :wavey: Justine..lol

LiliaLee-Frazier
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by VeNuS FoReVeR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry Azza.. :o She always has somthing negative to say about ALMOST everybody. :(
Kind of like a movie critic who hates most of the movies he/she reviews. :tape:

On that note..Gnight ;)

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:30 AM
i dont really care knizlle, i really dont care. Simple as that.

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Honestly, I think Jen's Slam days are over. Her chance was the US Open. I don't think she'll have a chance with BOTH sisters out again, and Kim and Justine are just going to get better.

Jennifer-Venus final. I would love that. But I can't see Jennifer winning. Why? Venus is 10 times more aggressive then Jennifer, and frankly better on the defensive then Jennifer.

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Although, I should clear it up. I want a Venus-Capriati match ANY WHERE. I don't care if it's Aussie Final, or Sydney quarters! They haven't played FOREVER!

Jericho
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Don't worry Azza.. :o She always has somthing negative to say about ALMOST everybody. :(

At least HE doesnt discriminate, he will even criticize venus and serena unlike you who constantly picks at the sisters :rolleyes:

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:43 AM
they havnt played in forever, yet i wouldnt brush of Jennifer if i were you, its like me brushing Vee off, and i dissagree with the ferocity, Jennifer is more aggressive

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:46 AM
they havnt played in forever, yet i wouldnt brush of Jennifer if i were you, its like me brushing Vee off, and i dissagree with the ferocity, Jennifer is more aggressive

If you think Jen is more agressive, then obviously you haven't seen either of them play in a very long time.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:55 AM
maybe thats BECAUSE they havnt played in a realllllly long time.

Dont judge how they would fare against each other until they meet again, ok? its unfair to both girls.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:01 AM
maybe thats BECAUSE they havnt played in a realllllly long time.

Dont judge how they would fare against each other until they meet again, ok? its unfair to both girls.

You did the same thing earlier in the thread. Put it this way, Venus would be the favorite and it would be a big surprise if Capriati beat her.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:13 AM
whatever, your biased to Venus, so you can hype her up to be a player she isnt...why dont you just say shell have 60000 winners and no UE?

like i said b-fore your biased, so why should i trust your word? lets just watch them play shall we, then we can have this disccussion again

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:15 AM
whatever, your biased to Venus, so you can hype her up to be a player she isnt...why dont you just say shell have 60000 winners and no UE?

like i said b-fore your biased, so why should i trust your word? lets just watch them play shall we, then we can have this disccussion again

C'mon now Trish, keep it real. If it was 2001 I would have no idea who would win because then they were closer in level of play, but now Venus is clearly head and shoulders above Capriati and all the other players too for that matter.

SerialKiller#69
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:19 AM
I hope so. She needs a "big bang" in her career and AO is the perfect place to do it.Go Jen!

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:30 AM
im sorry but you cannot say shes "heads and shoulders" above Jen when she hasny played in several month and she may not come back 100% another biased post, cant you be critical? Jens not #1 for sure, but to say all the girls are ahead of her is shit. Ask any of the girls in the top 10, kim even, and shell tell you just how close both girls are....its true, so another trash comment.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:33 AM
im sorry but you cannot say shes "heads and shoulders" above Jen when she hasny played in several month and she may not come back 100% another biased post, cant you be critical? Jens not #1 for sure, but to say all the girls are ahead of her is shit. Ask any of the girls in the top 10, kim even, and shell tell you just how close both girls are....its true, so another trash comment.

Kim won't tell you that Cappy is near the level of Venus. Even she is not that nice. Trish you try to say we put the WS on a pedestal, but the things you say about Cappy's current game are bordering on the delusional.

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:41 AM

You are right, I shouldn't brush Jen off.

But I don't understand how you can say Jennifer is more aggressive. In most of her matches against the big babes (Serena-Venus-Lindsay-Kim-Justine), she has less winners and less errors. Meaning, she's not being the aggressor.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Knizzle: I have come to the conclusion that know very little about us women and womens tennis ingeneral, you have no ideal what Kim has or hasnt said, so dont try and put things into peoples mouths. By making all of these grand assumptions and grandious predictions your just making yourself more of a tool. Nothing more, nothing less, think about that.
when you take your head out of the clouds, call me.

Tennisluva: you on the other hand are more realistic, and more importantly you make sence. ^ that guy just spews whatever comes to his mind first and writes it down. Anyhow good points, but that merely means Jen was (in those matches against Lindsay anyways) more consistant and she didnt try to overplay. But i have also seen matches were she hits as many as 30/45 winners, so you really have to go match by match with Jennifer, she doesnt just have one stratefy.

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:33 AM
She does for more against Venus i noticed in her match @ Erricson Open, but she was really less aggressive @ the US open 2001 when she lost rather easily...and again she plays really aggressive against Serena, because she has too, and goes for broke alot. So shes not always hitting low winners, she does get a fair amount.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Knizzle: I have come to the conclusion that know very little about us women and womens tennis ingeneral, you have no ideal what Kim has or hasnt said, so dont try and put things into peoples mouths. By making all of these grand assumptions and grandious predictions your just making yourself more of a tool. Nothing more, nothing less, think about that.
when you take your head out of the clouds, call me.

Did you forget you just put these words in Kim's mouth?? You make no bones about being hypocritical do you??

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:55 AM
wel i seem to remember hearing Kim say "when i play Jennifer, its like playing myself, we are so simmilar" wow i guess i wasnt just making it up...surprise surprise

u=-->:retard:

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:57 AM
and if you want a thread, go look at one of there post match interviews, im sure you can find one, i believe its the Bank of West Classic Final when Kim beat jen in three sets.

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:59 AM
wel i seem to remember hearing Kim say "when i play Jennifer, its like playing myself, we are so simmilar" wow i guess i wasnt just making it up...surprise surprise

u=-->:retard:

Jenn said that about Kim, NOT the other way around. I guess you are the one who is the retard, or at least dyslexic.

Brandon85
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:31 AM
very true.

Jennifer's wife
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Venus wont have played any tennis in like over half a year by the time it gets to the AO. And your still saying she could beat Jen in straight sets? get real! Jens tennis might not have been that great just lately but at least she's been playing! Jen versus Venus AO 2004 final? i would love to see that! BRING IT!!

CapFan#1
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Woah.... hold on people. Has anyone been watching Jennifer play since Wibly this year.... her game has evolved quite a bit.... Her serve is a huge improvement.... not many DF and not giving her opponents a free pass on the 2nd, and the placement has been thoughtful and well done. She is now getting the free points off her serve.

Her shot placement has moved out of the center of the court and to the sidelines, really going for her shots...

Her net play has really improved, with her looking to move more forward and finish the point at the net.

Anyone who says Jen is playing the same as she was in 2000-2002 is extremely biased against Jen and hasn't really opened their eyes...

Now about Jen at the 2004 AO..... She will def. make alot of ranking points here as she has nothing to defend. I think Rebound Ace is her best surface, and she will def make the semis.... I dont think Venus and Serena are gonna be that big of a factor at this Slam. They both will not have played for more than 1/2 a year, and I think it will take them 'til Nasdaq to really round back into form. As far as Kim and Henin "The Hand" goes, Jen can def. beat this girls if she believes in her game.

About a Jen vs Venus match... I would love to see it... it has been way too long... and I think Jen is a lot better player than when they played in 2001.. Jen almost beat V at Miami that year, and with serve problems. Jen doesn't have those serve problems anymore... however we all know what V's second serve is like these days..... Either way, it would be a good match

bandabou
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Jen vs Venus would be a great match....but Jen ainīt beating Venus. Jen is becoming a lot like Lindsay and Monica: beating the lower-ranked players, but canīt beat the higher ranked players. Venus is ranked lower than Jen right now, but I canīt see Jen" I canīt win three-set matches anymore" Capriati beating Venus. Venus knows that as long that she wins a set she is gonna win.

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:23 PM
She does for more against Venus i noticed in her match @ Erricson Open, but she was really less aggressive @ the US open 2001 when she lost rather easily...and again she plays really aggressive against Serena, because she has too, and goes for broke alot. So shes not always hitting low winners, she does get a fair amount.

The stats are bad--really bad. In 2001, every match Jen/Venus played, Jen hit fewer winners.

Ericsson
Jen--she had about 10 winners, 35 errors
Venus--had about 35 winners; 75 Errors

New Haven
Jen--Had about 7 Winners
Venus--Had about 30 Winners

US Open
Jen--Had 4 Winners
Venus--30 Winners

I don't know if it was more aggression from Jennifer, or too many errors from Venus that made the Ericsson so close. I'm going to say Venus' errors, because I've seen the match.

*abby*
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:36 PM
for gods sake ppl let this go wen they play we will c until then all this is speculation!!!

DA FOREHAND
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:39 PM
"Now about Jen at the 2004 AO..... She will def. make alot of ranking points here as she has nothing to defend. I think Rebound Ace is her best surface, and she will def make the semis.... I dont think Venus and Serena are gonna be that big of a factor at this Slam. They both will not have played for more than 1/2 a year, and I think it will take them 'til Nasdaq to really round back into form. As far as Kim and Henin "The Hand" goes, Jen can def. beat this girls if she believes in her game"

I hope the other players buy into this illogical way of thinking, if they are somebody is in for a rude awakening. How quickly they forget that the two best players on the tour live together.

Jenn, more aggressive than Venus? LOL, she's not even more aggressive than a cramping justine. Reduce your Zoloft dosage you're flying too high.

jenny161185
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM
offcourse she can do it! I think she will have to be up for the long haul and the mental toughness will have to be there but hey Im not counting her out

Trish101
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Zoloft? hunny i think you mean YOUR perscription...im off the pills thanks.

Venus having 30 winners to jen 10? well i think you need to post that or make a link cause i dont believe she hit 30 winners in ONE match and Jen still had 8 match points...it doesnt make sence.

Anyways DA FORZHAND your completely biased toards vee and im towards Jen so you better get out cause ill embarrass your popping pills ass. biotch

DA FOREHAND
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM
I'm not biased towards Venus, she's shown several times that she can beat Jennifer, even on a bad day 01 Ericsson Final 75 ue.

I've also pointed out several times that Jennifer could have beaten Serena if after securing the first set (ex Wimbledon) if she would show the gutsy play she used to employ against Hingis. Instead she wins the first set playing passively and allowing Serena to make the errors, then continues to do so as if Serena isnt going to try and raise her game, when the inevitable happens(Serena raises her level) Jenn loses(looses) because she's not willng to go for her shots.

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Trish, I found this article about the Miami victory.
Venus-35 winners; 71 Errors
Jennifer-7 winners; 53 Errors!

V Williams beats Capriati to win Ericsson Open
March 31, 2001
By Dale Brauner/SportsTicker Staff Writer

MIAMI (Ticker) -- Venus Williams might have been down, but she was not out.

Williams saved eight match points to capture her third Ericsson Open title, defeating Jennifer Capriati, 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4), in Saturday's all-American final.

The reigning Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion repelled three match points in the ninth game and five more in a marathon 12th. She went through three match points in the tiebreaker before Capriati hit a forehand into the net on the fourth.

"I just kept getting back in it some way or another," Williams said. "I didn't feel like like I was going to lose. When I was facing my match points, I just kept telling myself what to do at the right time, everything my dad had told me to do, that is what I tried to do. Just return to the basics, look at the ball, stay down, hit your topspin, turn your hips. All those little things that are really important under pressure."

After the controversy at Indian Wells two weeks ago, Williams gained a measure of vindication with her first title of the season and 16th of her career. She was criticized after pulling out of her semifinal against sister Serena at the last minute with right patellar tendinitis at Indian Wells.

"I just think it was just able to hang in there through it all, through all my tough matches, through any ridiculous comments or questions that I had to face and things move on," said Williams, who played with both knees taped this week. "Time moves on, things pass."

Both sisters and their father Richard Williams were booed by the California fans, but reaction to the family here was mostly favorable.

"That was two weeks ago in Indian Wells," Venus Williams said. "It was a different crowd and I can't expect people to like me just because I am a good person. They don't know that. They don't know me. And most of them will never have the opportunity to even meet me. So I have got to like myself."

Capriati thought she captured her first title in her home state on her seventh match point, when she appeared to hit a backhand winner down the line. She clinched both fists over her head but the shot was called long.

"I thought I had it," Capriati said. "It was just really, really close. Those match points didn't go my way. It was just really close. I don't know what happened. I didn't have the luck or I just missed a few shots by a little. It was too bad I didn't make the points that I needed to on the match points."

Williams eventually broke serve for the 10th time as Capriati hit a forehand into the net. The game lasted more than 20 minutes.

Overall, there was 18 breaks of serve. Williams, who won $2.72 million, had 35 winners and four aces but committed 11 double faults and 71 unforced errors. She converted 31-of-44 net points.

"I just think the heat was a major factor today because it was so hot that I think it took a lot out of both of us," Williams said. "If it had been a cooler day it probably would have been much easier to go out there and run, run, run. I think most of all it was the heat but both pushed the other to the limit."

Playing with a painful blister on her right foot, Capriati managed only seven winners while hitting 53 unforced errors and 16 double faults. She ventured into the net just 13 times, winning seven points.

"I was feeling pretty fatigued," Capriati said. "My feet were bothering me. It was pretty hot out there and so the ground is pretty hot and everything. I think the conditions were really, really tough out there. The wind and then the sun -- so the next time for sure I will take advantage more. I will learn a lot from this match."

Williams owns the third-longest winning streak among women at the Ericsson Open. She won her 18th consecutive match here, tying the shorter of Steffi Graf's two runs here, and joined the tennis great as the only three-time champion.

"I feel good here because I feel like I have all the conveniences of home even though I am not exactly at home," said Williams, who was raised in California but owns a home in Palm Beach Gardens.

The third-seeded Venus Williams has not lost here since 1997, when she was beaten by Martina Hingis in the third round. She claimed consecutive crowns in 1998 and 1999 but missed last year's event due to tendinitis in both wrists.

Capriati, the fourth seed, has won 10 career tournaments but none in Florida. She came closest in 1990, when she reached the final at Boca Raton.

A resident of Wesley Chapel, Capriati won her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January, and appeared in the final at Oklahoma City and the semifinals at Scottsdale, Arizona.

Capriati had not dropped a set before Saturday and was trying to become only the fourth player ever to defeat both Williams sisters in the same tournament. She defeated Serena Williams in the quarterfinals.

jenny161185
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:02 PM
who cares about how many winners / ues if Venus can hit so many- why couldnt she just keep her ues down and finish her off- but thats not it, jen can hang with Venus and should have won

VeNuS#1LoVa
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:06 PM
I don't think Capriati is a choker one bit. Yes, she did choke against JHH, but it was a fluke, that's not gonna happen everytime. I hope Jenn takes the YEC and does well in Australia. Of course I want Venus to win it, but I think I'd rather see Jenn win it then Serena. But Capriati needs to get her confidence back, and she can do it this week. I really hope she can shock the tennis world this week.

bandabou
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Well it happened against Bovina as well....

tennisIlove09
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:50 AM
who cares about how many winners / ues if Venus can hit so many- why couldnt she just keep her ues down and finish her off- but thats not it, jen can hang with Venus and should have won

If you read the entire thread, you'll see the point Trish and I were getting at