PDA

View Full Version : Hingis the Jim Morrison of tennis?

Smash
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:57 PM
I like the Doors so I don't mind the comparison.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/jon_wertheim/11/03/mailbag/

barmaid
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah! Wertheim has a funny way of equating Martina to Jim Morrison but he's absolutely right as evidenced by many posters on this board ...Martina Hingis is missed very much :eek: but she will be appearing and working (for Eurosport) at the 30th Anniversary of WTA on Nov. 9th where 13 former #1's and 9 founding members of the Virginia Slims tour which later became the WTA ...players mentioned to be honored were: Venus and Serena Williams, Martina Hingis, Tracy Austin , Billie Jean King, and Martina Navratilova . I assume such stars as Evert, Davenport, and Seles were also invited. After these ceremonies, there will be a private reception hosted by columnist Bud Collins and also Pam Schriver! :hearts: Sounds like a great bash!! :worship:

barmaid :wavey:

Smash
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Wertheim also must not know she's going to be at the AO next yr. He'll get to hear some of her opinions then. LOL.

Peter M
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Why people continue to blow off Majoli's spectacular play in the '97 French final is beyond me. Those who say Hingis went AWOL that match and handed the title to Iva were watching a different match than I was.

Martian Willow
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:17 AM
...Jim Morrison was a fat pretentious overrated pseud...Martina Hingis is a talented and beautiful multiple Grand Slam winning ex-tennis player...I hope that clarifies things for you... :)

Jamie
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:22 AM
How many would love to have the accomplishments that Martina has? I'ts sad that her talent does not have the appreciation that it deserves.

graf630
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Why people continue to blow off Majoli's spectacular play in the '97 French final is beyond me. Those who say Hingis went AWOL that match and handed the title to Iva were watching a different match than I was.

I agree. Majoli was in the zone that day and there was nothing Hingis could have done to prevent it. IMHO Martina underestimated Eva,and was caught off guard by her flawless play,thinking the title was in the bag.

I never really cared too much for Hingis,but she had the perfect game,with every shot but the serve.Not enough power to stay at the top, but I think if healthy she could be challenging the top 4 players. She played very smart tennis,which would give the top players fits if she were still playing.

Greenout
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:53 AM
I like the DOORS; but I don't see the similarity
between Hingis and Jimbo.

What does a former number 1 player and grand
slam champion that retired earlier than expected
due to a career health threatening injury have to
do with a dead singer of a band from the 60's that
ran away from the height of his popularity to Paris,
and became an obnoxious drunk, poet and over
weight to give the middle finger to his new
middle class American fans expectations?

LOL.