PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo passes Venus in the rankings

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:16 PM
Mauresmo overtakes Venus Williams in WTA rankings

November 3, 2003

AFP - Nov 3, 9:40 am EST
More Photos

MIAMI, United States (AFP) - France's Amelie Mauresmo leapfrogged Venus Williams in the WTA rankings released thanks to her weekend WTA victory in Philadelphia.

Mauresmo, 24, moves up one spot into sixth while Williams, who has not played since the Wimbledon final in July with an abdominal strain, has dropped to seventh.

Williams has also withdrawn from the season-ending WTA Tour Championships which begins Wednesday in Los Angeles, along with sister Serena and fellow American Lindsay Davenport.

Belgian Kim Clijsters holds the number one spot ahead of compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne.

1. Kim Clijsters (BEL) 6596pts

2. Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) 6461

3. Serena Williams (USA) 4400

4. Lindsay Davenport (USA) 3057

5. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 2746

6. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 2736

7. Venus Williams (USA) 2507

8. Anastasia Myskina (RUS) 2492

9. Elena Dementieva (RUS) 2340

10. Chanda Rubin (USA) 2231

11. Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 2139

12. Nadia Petrova (RUS) 1994

13. Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 1808

14. Jelena Dokic (SEM) 1528

15. Paola Suarez (ARG) 1526

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:18 PM
Momo has hit a milestone in her career. :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:18 PM
Venus is amazing she hasn't played since Wimbledon and she's still making tennis headlines.

treufreund
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:21 PM
Momo can become world #4 with a good showing at the YEC. :bounce: Allez Amelie! You can beat Kim again!!!!

darrinbaker00
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM
How about that? It only took Amelie four months to pass an idle Venus in the rankings. Way to go, MoMo!! ;)

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:28 PM
This was an article? You Venus fans should be happy...she's so famous that her dropping one spot to #7 is a headline! :)

Anyway, if by "milestone" you mean "career-high ranking," this isn't Momo's.

treufreund
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:29 PM
Momo hasn't exactly had it easy this year with injuries either. :rolleyes: She is just starting to hit her stride and now has a thigh wrap on again. :fiery:

joao
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:34 PM
Didn't myskina move up to #8 also? ... oh wait ... i forgot that actually nobody really cares if Myskina leapfrogged Dementieva ... only a leapfrogged Venus deserves mention in the press!

Poor Myskina ...

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:35 PM
This was an article? You Venus fans should be happy...she's so famous that her dropping one spot to #7 is a headline! :)

Hurley, why "hate", just "congratulate"...!!! You just can't imagine how "difficult" it was for Venus to "gut out" 6 tourneys...!!! ;) ;)

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:37 PM
Didn't myskina move up to #8 also? ... oh wait ... i forgot that actually nobody really cares if Myskina leapfrogged Dementieva ... only a leapfrogged Venus deserves mention in the press!

Poor Myskina ...

:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

Andrew.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
:worship: Momo! :worship:

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:43 PM
NO ONE else is really important, when there´s news to say about a Williams.

griffin
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:46 PM

Well no disrespect to Dementieva, but who would you feel happier about passing?

VERY impressive that V's still in the top 10 despite not playing since wimby - but I'm also happy that Momo's been healthy long enough to halt her own slide in the rankings.

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:48 PM
Hurley, why "hate", just "congratulate"...!!! You just can't imagine how "difficult" it was for Venus to "gut out" 6 tourneys...!!! ;) ;)

So saying Venus is the most famous tennis player in tennis is hating now. Got it.

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:52 PM

The "milestone" is passing Venus in the rankings. I was being facetious about that "milestone".

jenny161185
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:53 PM
Good for Amelie - shes been plagued by injuries nice to see her rise again - and no need for the milestone in the career crap - she's ben there before

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:53 PM
The "milestone" is passing Venus in the rankings. I was being facetious about that "milestone".

Yeah, that was my second guess :D

Martian Willow
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:54 PM
NO ONE else is really important, when there´s news to say about a Williams.

...tennis is not really important...except when there's news to say about an American... :)

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
So saying Venus is the most famous tennis player in tennis is hating now. Got it.

Gooollly Geee, Hurley...!!! It's only a "saying" all the kids use today, and it really doesn't mean "you actually hate...!!! It's more or less "a tease", but, don't worry, I won't try that again....!!!

*persond thinks to himself, surely she saw the "blinked eye smiley"...*

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:58 PM

Knizzle,

Do you get the feeling people are just a tad too touchy today...??? :eek: :eek:

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:59 PM
Gooollly Geee, Hurley...!!! It's only a "saying" all the kids use today, and it really doesn't mean "you actually hate...!!! It's more or less "a tease", but, don't worry, I won't try that again....!!!

*persond thinks to himself, surely she saw the "blinked eye smiley"...*

"HE" :p

Don't hate the playa...hate the game!

Kart
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
What is Amelie's highest ranking anyway ?

Is it around four or five ?

tennisIlove09
Wait until Venus drops to 11! People like Suigyama can say "I was ranked higher then Venus Williams once!"

The person she was talking to will respond "When was that?"

"When she was injured for 6 months!"

:tape: :p

persond
"HE" :p

Don't hate the playa...hate the game!

"He", "Smee"...who really cares about "gender" around here...??? :p :p

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:05 PM
Wait until Venus drops to 11! People like Suigyama can say "I was ranked higher then Venus Williams once!"

The person she was talking to will respond "When was that?"

"When she was injured for 6 months!"

:tape: :p

Oooooh, tennisIlove, that's sooooo cold...!!! :lol: :lol:

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:05 PM
Ame's career high is #4.

The Crow
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
Pffft Venus, this ain't funny anymore :sad:

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:09 PM
Pffft Venus, this ain't funny anymore :sad:

Hey, The Crow...cheer up, we all know Venus will surely bounce back...!!! Not to worry, kiddo...!!! :) :)

lizchris
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I read this. If she were to reach number one, then there would be a reason for an article, but just because she passed Venus in the rankings?

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:32 PM
Don't be hypersensitive, Williams fans. They have to put *something* as a spin on the article. Be happy that Venus is so well known that they chose to use her as a point of reference. It doesn't say anything bad about her.

Otherwise, what griffin said. :)

Venus Forever
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:35 PM
Momo hasn't exactly had it easy this year with injuries either. :rolleyes: She is just starting to hit her stride and now has a thigh wrap on again. :fiery:

Yes, she only played 9 tournaments more than Venus, instead of the usual 14. :sad:

:tape:

monicarules
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:37 PM
I always knew Mauremo is the better one.
She finally proved it in the rankings.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:38 PM
Don't be silly. No one in their right mind would say that Amelie is "better" than Venus because of this.

lizchris
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:41 PM

Too bad she has 20 less titles than Venus, including 4 Grand Slam singles titles.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:59 PM
True, but no reason to rub it in.

Let us Momo fans be happy that she is climbing the rankings. She has had so many injuries and missed so many important tournaments that we are the last people not to understand what Venus fans are going through right now. Obviously, Vee's falling rank simply shows that she is not currently playing. It says nothing about how good she is.

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:08 AM
That might be true, but I have little use for Amelie after she accused the Williamses of fixing the 2002 Wimbeldon final after Serena soundly beat her in the semifinal.

Jericho
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:15 AM

thank you! How many times has Venus beaten Mauresmo...just ONCE and that was because of retirement!!!

oops, its the other way around :tape:

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Oh well, let's not resurrect THAT. People say all sorts of things that may be quoted out of context, said without thought on the spur of the moment, worded badly etc, etc. I don't know why this board gets so bogged down in debates about such things.

Over a very long period, Momo has usually been thoughtful and generous about all her opponents. For my money, she's one of the nicest players on the tour. I doubt that there is any bad blood between her and the sisters.

harloo
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Venus is amazing she hasn't played since Wimbledon and she's still making tennis headlines.

Aint this the truth. :lol:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=Knizzle]Mauresmo overtakes Venus Williams in WTA rankings

November 3, 2003

AFP - Nov 3, 9:40 am EST
More Photos

MIAMI, United States (AFP) - France's Amelie Mauresmo leapfrogged Venus Williams in the WTA rankings released thanks to her weekend WTA victory in Philadelphia.

Mauresmo, 24, moves up one spot into sixth while Williams, who has not played since the Wimbledon final in July with an abdominal strain, has dropped to seventh.

And Amelia has MISSED TWO GRAND SLAMS this year..imagine how many points she has to gain next year!! :bounce: :bounce:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Yes, she only played 9 tournaments more than Venus, instead of the usual 14. :sad:

:tape:
And she missed TWO grand slams instead of one for venus :p LOTS of points to gain next year Amelia..Keep the "family" pride flowing into 2004! :kiss:

Jericho
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:24 AM
And she missed TWO grand slams instead of one for venus :p LOTS of points to gain next year Amelia..Keep the "family" pride flowing into 2004! :kiss:

Go AmeliA! :p

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Oh well, let's not resurrect THAT. People say all sorts of things that may be quoted out of context, said without thought on the spur of the moment, worded badly etc, etc. I don't know why this board gets so bogged down in debates about such things.

Over a very long period, Momo has usually been thoughtful and generous about all her opponents. For my money, she's one of the nicest players on the tour. I doubt that there is any bad blood between her and the sisters.

I thought not until I saw her QF mathc agains Serena at this year's FO and unless Serena was mad at something else, she might have been mad at Mauresmo, though there might not be any hard feeling against any of them now.

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:29 AM

But Venus didn't play after Wimbeldon and lost points from three other tournaments other than the USO, plus she only played one other clay court tournament other than the FO. She has a lot more to gain next year than Amelie.

Venus Forever
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:40 AM
And Amelia has MISSED TWO GRAND SLAMS this year..imagine how many points she has to gain next year!! :bounce: :bounce:

I didn't realize an island could play tennis. :o

Harju.
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Holy craps. Momo is 6 :worship:

OH come on guys. Stop comparing Venus and Momo. We all know if Serena Venus and Momo are playing without those injuries, I'm sure they are top 3 players. *oh well*

franny
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:24 AM
I really don't know whats more amazing, Venus Williams still being in a the top ten by playing only like 6-7 tournaments all year or Jelena Dokic being ranked number 14 with a 26-28 record. I just don't know.

Venus Forever
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:25 AM
I really don't know whats more amazing, Venus Williams still being in a the top ten by playing only like 6-7 tournaments all year or Jelena Dokic being ranked number 14 with a 26-28 record. I just don't know.

Uh, 30 tournaments (after LA), not 26-28. ;)

azza
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Nevr thought i would see the day when Mauresmo overtakes Venus Williams in WTA rankings

just just :o

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Uh, 30 tournaments (after LA), not 26-28. ;)

He was talking about her match record of 26-28 this year.

Venus Forever
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:35 AM
He was talking about her match record of 26-28 this year.

Nevertheless, still embarassing. :o

Knizzle
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Nevertheless, still embarassing. :o

I know, seeing as you can win more than 1 match at a tourney, but can ONLY lose once.