PDA

View Full Version : Hope for Venus: Another Athlete who had made a comeback from an abdominal strain

topspin
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:11 AM
There was another athlete who made a comeback from an abdominal strain.

It was during the first preseason game in October 1997 for the Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal had suffered an abdominal strain or pulled muscle which sidelined him for about six weeks. He returned to action on November 8, 1997 He reaggrevated the abdominal injury to the same area two weeks later. He was out of action for six more weeks. Shaq made his start again in the first week of January 1998.

Three weeks later he reaggrevated the same abdominal injury again but only missed a couple of games. For the week of March 16, 1998 he was named the NBA Player of the Week with averages of 28.8 points and 14.8 rebounds in four games. Three weeks later in April 1998 he scored 50 points in a game. From 1999 to 2001 he and the Lakers won three consecutive NBA World titles. Shaq was the most dominant force in the game in those championship years.

His accomplishments show one can come back from this type of injury and be ever better than before. He was under a specialized rehabilitation program by the team doctor, Steve Lombardo.

The diagnosis is with proper treatment and allowing sufficient time for the healing to take place Venus will make a full recovery. It would also be a good idea to have a MRI done on the affected area to make sure there isn't anything more seriously damaged if she has not done this step as of today.

And maybe, like Shaq she will go on a championship run too.

topspin
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:14 AM
April 02, 2003

Rebels' Claridge eager for action after painful 2002
By Steve Guiremand
<steveg@lasvegassun.com>
LAS VEGAS SUN

Ryan Claridge's right bicep was covered with scratches and bruises following a hard-hitting spring practice this week. And Claridge, a 6-foot-3, 250-pound junior linebacker, couldn't have been any happier.

"It's been a long time," Claridge said. "It feels really good."

Claridge, a second team all-Mountain West Conference pick in 2001 after compiling 71 tackles and forcing six fumbles, had to sit out the 2002 season with a torn abdominal muscle.

The injury, also called a "sports hernia," was similar to one that slowed NBA stars Shaquille O'Neal and Tracy McGrady as well as a number of hockey players. It usually takes about 12 weeks of abdominal exercises and conditioning to overcome, but Claridge took longer.

"No words can explain the pain that you go through," Claridge said. "It's not the physical pain that bothered me. It was the fact I wasn't doing what I love to do. The pain? Yeah, it hurt. But it hurt me more not being on the field and not being with the team and playing in Sam Boyd Stadium."

Claridge was injured in February 2002. He went to Vancouver in July to meet with noted physical therapist Alex McKechnie, who treated O'Neal and McGrady and has devised exercises and workouts to help strengthen the abdominal area.

"If I had had surgery, they would have had to cut both groin muscles and cut my abdominal wall and reattach everything to my pubic bone," Claridge said. "That's what I tried to avoid. Even with my rehabbing, there were still no guarantees that I'd come back and play."

Claridge, with the help of UNLV strength and conditioning coach Mark Phillippi, began almost daily workouts of between two to three hours that McKechnie had devised. They included running and jumping and using elastic bands for stretching.

"Coach Phillippi was with me every day," Claridge said. "He was one of the main reasons I got better. There were days that I just wanted to stay at home. But he'd call me and say, 'Get your bleep up here now!'

"It was tough. There was a lot of time involved on his part. I really thank him for that."

It wasn't until December that Claridge started feeling good again.

"I don't think anybody is 100 percent, but it's close enough and I'm just going to go," Claridge said. "I feel more athletic than before. I seemed a little stiffer when I was a sophomore and a freshman. Now I feel like I can cover better.

"I'm excited for myself but, more important, I'm excited for this team. We've got a lot of people back and we look pretty good. Hopefully, we can put it together."

Interestingly, two Rebels defensive ends, Chris Eagen and Pete Dunbar, are out this spring with similiar injuries.

"They have a variety of it," Claridge said. "Luckily, they're catching it in earlier stages. Unfortunately, I was kind of like the guinea pig. I was the first lab rat that got all the testing up in Canada. Now we know how to rehab it. Working with Coach Phillippi, he'll have those guys back playing again in no time."

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:35 AM
The article above talks about an abdominal TEAR, i seriously doubt that Venus has torn the muscle, she would definatalely not have been able to go on at Wimby if it was.

I would think that she has had the MRI done numerous times to check the condition of the muscle but i really think that she just won't play until there is absolutely NO pain coming from that area at all. I remeber even when she was at Wimby she said it still hurt sometimes and she was still icing it every day, so it wasn't healed properly at Wimby, thats probably why she aggrevated it again.

As for her not playing Advanta and YEC, well it could be a combination of emotional stress over her sisters murder, but also the ab. strain. Maybe she can still feel it pulling a little bit and she just does not want to risk pulling it again and maybe stopping her from playing the AO.

Just my take on things. :)

GO VENUS, have a nice rest and we will c u in 2004!!! :bounce: