PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Moments in Women's Tennis

Nobody's Perfecc
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:50 AM
What are some of your favorite precious moments in tennis? A recent one would be Tamarine Tanasugarn's premature celebration at the US Open. :lol:

- Iva Majoli vs. Mary Pierce at the final or semifinal Amelia Island(I think). Iva Majoli was having a bad serving day, with numerous double faults. After hitting yet another first serve into the net, she throws her racket in disgust. Then she serves her second serve and it's an ace out wide! The look of shock and relief in Iva's face was priceless. Even Mary applauded.

- A fan shouting his wedding proposal to Steffi Graf at the 1996 Wimbledon semifinal. And Steffi's response.

- Steffi missing an overhead shot at the 1996 Wimbledon final.

That's all I can think of right now. List yours!

Timofy
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:42 AM
hingis crossed the net and got to steffi side in RG 99
though quite annoying, but u would not be able to see such kind of scene anymore i think

Trish101
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:54 AM
Jennifer's backhand down the line @ matchpoint in the finals of 2001 AO...Hingis was stunned.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:56 AM
serena's reaction after winning the french.
justine's reaction after beating serena at the french.
venus winning her first grand slam!i loved it.
kim after winning the YEC last year.

oddkayla
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:10 AM
Venus' reaction when she beat Hingis at the US Open 2000 semi-finals. Unbelievable!

monicarules
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
When Monica bitchslapped Venus at the '02 AO.
That win of Monica's gave me the ultimate ecstacy.

jimbo mack
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
steffi's win over sanchez vicario 1995 wimbledon final- amazing match!!!

steffi's win over hingis in 99 french final- what a way to win your last slam!!

wimbledon 99- lucic bt seles in 3rd round

Trish101
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:16 AM
LOL @ "monica bitch slaped Venus" but its true though!

monicarules
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
LOL @ "monica bitch slaped Venus" but its true though!

Thanks Trish.
I was over the moon after that match. Not only Monica made it to the semifinal, who she beat there gave me extra jubilation.

Allez-H
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:38 PM
Justine's reaction after she won the French.
BUT I also loved her reaction xhen she won against Jenny at the Wimbeldon semi final.

Roxers
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:41 PM
Steffi`s 99 FO win!

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
When Monica bitchslapped Venus at the '02 AO.
That win of Monica's gave me the ultimate ecstacy.

Apart from the fact that Venus had knee tendonitis and couldn't move properly. And i wouldn't exactly call that win a 'bitchslap' either :rolleyes:

jimbo mack
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Apart from the fact that Venus had knee tendonitis and couldn't move properly. And i wouldn't exactly call that win a 'bitchslap' either :rolleyes:

did u see the match?

venus SAID in the interview that her knee problem didnt affect her play! she admitted she lost to a better player on the day

if people thought she wasnt moving properly, it was because she was stunned at the prospect of being beaten by monica for the 1st time! :)

DA FOREHAND
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Justine's reaction after she won the French.

you were still awake?:zzz:

Serena's reaction after ho slappin HIngis 99 Us Open

Steffi's reaction after getting the 99 French Trophy

Martina Hingis's reaction to that great get 99 us open semi -v- Venus

Steffi's reaction to winnin 89 US Open(after Martina was pumping herself up and waving two fingers)

Steffi's reaction to thumping MOnica(again) 96 Us Open final The rain drenched trophy ceremony

Tanasugarn's premature celebration.

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:57 PM
did u see the match?

venus SAID in the interview that her knee problem didnt affect her play! she admitted she lost to a better player on the day

if people thought she wasnt moving properly, it was because she was stunned at the prospect of being beaten by monica for the 1st time! :)

Yes as a matter of fact i did see the match, and i saw the interview aswell.

But have you ever heard Venus blame an injury for defeat?? Venus unlike most players has too much class to go around blaming injurys for her defeats. I will admit though, that Monica did play a good match. ;)

ghosts
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Maggie's win in Moscow last year :bigclap:

Eurosport showed her 3 biggest wins - over Venus Williams, Mauresmo and Davenport
and I watched them all http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/458.gif

http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/1112.gif

dubro
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:01 PM
any dokic win
any graf win over ASV
any williams lost

ahaha

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
Sereneīs reaction after she defeated Lindsay at the ī01 U.S. open. THAT was the match that turned Serena around. Her reaction was even more priceless than in ī99, because wasnīt even a final.

Another one: Monica failing to convert four matchpoints, then failing to serve for the match twice against Steffi at the French Open ī92. That wasnīt exactly a show of mental toughness.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:06 PM
any dokic win
any graf win over ASV
any williams lost

ahaha

Too bad for you , you don't get too many chances to cheer. :sad:

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:08 PM

:lol: :lol:

alfajeffster
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:44 PM
Steffi Graf's emphatic "YA!!!" after cracking an ace past Monica Seles on match point at the 1992 Wimbledon Final drubbing.

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:04 PM
hahaha....then they are even. Because I heard a YEAH as well when Monica won the French.

Linzi
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
When Hingis won that classic with Venus in 99 US Open semi. That reaction was pure joy.

Lindsay winning Wimbeldon in 99.

Any time Kim beats Henin.

LindsayRulez
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:28 PM
Any time when Lindsay is truly happy, smiling and/or shedding tears of joy; namely US Open 1998, Wimbledon 1999, and Australian Open 2000...what I would pay to see those reactions from her again!

I also like these reactions from other players when they win huge matches (albeit, I'd rather see them from Lindsay), especially in gland slam finals. Some of these have been a little subdued with Serena beating Venus (understandably), but I love to see a look of pure joy on a player's face.

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
I think if Venus wasnīt injured that Serena would have celebrated more abundantly....see how she got choked up at the Oz?! And Serena always seems to be THIS close to crying when she wins.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:41 PM
I think if you pull out some video tape you'll see that look from Lindsay again.

Astro Jetson
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM
This year: THE LOB in semifinal Jen vs. Justine. Everytime I see it, I fall on the floor laughing.

LindsayRulez
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:10 PM
Da Forehand, what are you implying?

And what lob is that, deuce? I have that on tape, so what part of the match is it near? Thanks.

alfajeffster
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:38 PM
hahaha....then they are even. Because I heard a YEAH as well when Monica won the French.

They'll never be even- Monica Seles has never had a winning record over Steffi Graf...

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Thatīs true.... but it is like with Kim and Justine. Kim was winning the small ones and Justine ended up with the biggies who matter.

The same way with Graf and Seles...

Kart
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
It was nice when Steffi got involved in that Mexican wave with the crowd in Paris 1999.

It was also fun to see Monica when she won in Rome 2000 when she got those roses from some of her fans and hugged each of them.

hollywood7172
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:45 PM
the jump of JOY by capriati at 2001 australian open after she hit that down the line backhand matchpoint winner. NOTHING canput that into words. nothing.

dubro
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:46 PM

pffft :o

graf is still the best player in history :angel:

alfajeffster
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:20 PM
Thatīs true.... but it is like with Kim and Justine. Kim was winning the small ones and Justine ended up with the biggies who matter.

? :confused: ?

Justine has 2 majors, Kim none. A little early to compare them with Graf (22) and Seles (8 is it?)

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:52 PM
? :confused: ?

Justine has 2 majors, Kim none. A little early to compare them with Graf (22) and Seles (8 is it?)

Yep....but I meant more during that period. It seemed like Graf only could beat Monica at the "lesser" tournaments and Monica always beat her at the GSīs.

minboy
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:55 PM
And what lob is that, deuce? I have that on tape, so what part of the match is it near? Thanks.

6-4 5-4 adv henin.

calabar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:56 PM
My favorite moment was at the USOpen finals 2001, when Venus and Serena walked out on Ashe Stadum, side by side as SISTERS in a slam final. I'll never forget that moment. The final score of the match was of no relevance.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:24 PM
Yep....but I meant more during that period. It seemed like Graf only could beat Monica at the "lesser" tournaments and Monica always beat her at the GSīs.

It seems that way because Selestials have a way of trying to spin the history. :rolleyes: 6-4....10-5

tennisIlove09
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Venus "bitch slappin'" Jennie in Miami 2001. 4-6 6-1 7-6. 8 match points; 72 UFE from Venus...Jennie STILL couldn't close it out. Venus owns her.

The Venus/Hingis US Open semis in 99/00....just amazing tennis.

alfajeffster
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:38 PM

Actually, it seemed like Monica could only beat Steffi on a slow court with high-bounces (French, Australian). Whenever they played on a fast hardcourt or grass (U.S. Open, Wimbledon), Steffi clocked Monica

Darran
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:45 PM
ASV stealing the wimbledon trophy from Steffi Graf after she lost the 95 final.

Also really liked her speech when she beat Monica at the French in 98, it was really heartwarming.

alfajeffster
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:53 PM
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario's comments to Bud Collins after being crushed by Graf at the Mazda Classic in 1994:

"I don't know, I don't think she likes me or something!"

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:32 PM
Actually, it seemed like Monica could only beat Steffi on a slow court with high-bounces (French, Australian). Whenever they played on a fast hardcourt or grass (U.S. Open, Wimbledon), Steffi clocked Monica

Yep....thatīs true. Even on clay it seemed like Monica really had trouble getting to Steffiīs balls...she looked really slow.

Trish101
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:33 PM
slow like what? a hippo? a giraffe? explain please.

irma
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:42 PM

true wimbledon is such a small tournament, give me luxembourg any day :rolleyes: ;)

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:51 PM
true wimbledon is such a small tournament, give me luxembourg any day :rolleyes: ;)

Thatīs what I call a fan..has to come out and defend her fav. Hey, but thank God for that Wimbledon, otherwise Graf would have gone two years between GS titles.

CondiLicious
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:23 PM
Another one: Monica failing to convert four matchpoints, then failing to serve for the match twice against Steffi at the French Open ī92. That wasnīt exactly a show of mental toughness.

she still won though didn't she...

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:35 PM
Chanda's reaction after beating Serena last year at the JP Morgan Chase Open. The crowd went crazy, and she was so excited...

Serena's reaction after winning the 99' US Open, it always gives me goosebumps

Venus' reaction after winning 00' Wimbledon

Serena's reaction after winning 02' Roland Garros....

come to think of it, Serena is a very emotional person :p

jenny161185
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:46 PM
jens jump at the Oz open 2001 It was great I just remember her leaping into the air! you gotta love when hingis won the season ending champs beating seles - it was sucha tense match and hingis cried when she won :(

propi
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:57 PM
Conchi beating Martina N. in 1994 Wimbledon final :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bandabou
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:00 AM
she still won though didn't she...

yep....but should have been a lot easier.

bandabou
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Chanda's reaction after beating Serena last year at the JP Morgan Chase Open. The crowd went crazy, and she was so excited...

Serena's reaction after winning the 99' US Open, it always gives me goosebumps

Venus' reaction after winning 00' Wimbledon

Serena's reaction after winning 02' Roland Garros....

come to think of it, Serena is a very emotional person :p

second that...Serena when she wins, is such a joy to look at.

Javalamb2
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:27 AM
My favorite moment is Venus screaming and leaping straight to the net after hitting her favorite ace out wide on match point against Martina, Wimby 1/4 2000. It was the match that turned her career and made her a champion, and I had never seen her that intense during a match and after her win....ever! I can still remember the roar of the crowd, reacting to her reaction.... :bounce: :bounce: :chills:

Leo_DFP
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:58 AM
I think if you pull out some video tape you'll see that look from Lindsay again.

I do all the time!

I love how Lindsay hit a winner on the run off of a dropshot to claim the US Open 1998 over Hingis. What a testimate to her hard work and improved fitness.

Her scream and tears after smacking a service winner to take Wimbledon '99.

And, yes, her little dance after beating Hingis in the AO '02 finals. *Phew* That got close from 6-1, 5-1 up and boy was it a relief when she finally closed it out.

~~~~~

Wasn't Amelie so cute in hte trophy ceremony yesterday in Phillie? The smile on her face when the tourney director added another thousand in cash into her cup was priceless. "What that for?" :D

~~~~~

Elena's priceless reactions after beating Justine and then Lindsay to claim her first ever WTA singles title at the B&A this year.

UDiTY
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Steffi def. Martina '99 FO Final-definitely the most dramatic match in the history of tennis

Venus' SF wins at the US Open in '00 & '01:
In '00 her reaction after beating Martina saying "Unbelievable" and "I Know"

In '01 bitchslapping Cappy when proving that she was the best player of that year despite Jenn's early season comeback.

:p