PDA

View Full Version : Some Countries Tennis Going NOWHERE!

IsraeliJew
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:20 AM
Israel -
I mean Anna is a great player....but she has been playing for a while and face it she cant play forever! Tzipora has also been playing for a while and now Shahar Peer has fallin out to the (NR) section I mean what is gonna happen when Anna leaves

Ukraine-
Tatiana has years ahead of her but who knows if she'll step up! and Julia is great but they both seem to RISE then slump!

Bulgaria-
After Maggy who knows!

WHat other countries are great but are seeming to fade?

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:22 AM
Ukraine-
Tatiana has years ahead of her but who knows if she'll step up! and Julia is great but they both seem to RISE then slump!

Ukraine has so much of young talent , you would not believe. Does "Kutuzova" name ring the bell?

IsraeliJew
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
does NOT PLAYING IN A WHILE ring a bell? and Vikky is so in a slump i saw her when visiting my Grandma in Ukraine and she couldnt hit a ball over the net if G_D helped her

faboozadoo15
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:36 AM
no offense, but those aren't really countries where many great athletic endeavors go very far... in ukraine and bulgaria (im less sure about bulgaria) the emphasis for young girls isn't really on tennis-- it's on sports whose primary competition is the olympics-- like gymnastics and swimming.

Kirt12255
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:23 AM
:wavey: Yes as posted above alot of these countries are heavily involved in other sports than tennis.

Alot depends on funding etc....without that support then only rich parents can create a player. Money doesn't create talent though.

There are many other traditional power house countries that are struggling at the moment...Australia, Germany, Spain, Great Britain, Croatia etc etc.

But think on the positive side...Israel is a country struggling with politics....Anna Pistolesi is a great ambassador for the sport there...it only takes one player to inspire many young girls to take up the sport. Who knows...the inspiration of Fabiola Zuluaga may also increase the interest in womens tennis in Columbia as well. (as an example)

It may be a lengthy process but these countries can fire a "gun" of a player from no-where.

With all the money that America and Australia pump into their tennis programes, the results havn't been that good really in the last 2 years.

Russia seem to have a terrific programme...the top ten are not getting any younger. IMO :wavey:

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:38 AM
no offense, but those aren't really countries where many great athletic endeavors go very far... in ukraine and bulgaria (im less sure about bulgaria) the emphasis for young girls isn't really on tennis-- it's on sports whose primary competition is the olympics-- like gymnastics and swimming.

Ever heard of Oxana Bayul?

pan
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Ever heard of Oxana Bayul?

primary competition for figure skating is also the olympics.

ghosts
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:18 AM
Bulgaria and swimming :lol:

you'll see that Bulgaria will have two top 100 players in 2 years - Karatancheva and Pironkova! :p

:woohoo:

Xian
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:20 AM
I dont think that Ukraine or Bulgaria have to worry about their future.

Bulgaria: With Pironkova and Karatancheva two players who can make at least the top 20.

Ukraine: Next to Perebiynis and Vakulenko I would chose Vika Kutuzova, Olga Savchuk and Oxana Lyubtsova to break the top 100.

Israel: Only Shahar and maybe Maria Gugel can achieve some successes but none of the will ever reach the top 50

Really dont worry about USA, Russia, Spain, Italy, Belgium and Switzerland.

France hasnt that many talented young players. The same counts for Austria, Germany, Sweden or Canada

Grachka
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
Great Britain has many excellent young players...they just need to win. :)

Baltacha, Borwell, Keothavong, Paterson...they can all be big.

Kart
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
I loved Oxana Bayul at the Olympics that year :hearts:.

The fact of whom she beat to get the gold made me like her even more :worship:.

propi
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
There are many other traditional power house countries that are struggling at the moment... Spain...etc etc.:

:bounce: :bounce: Spain just won the European junior summer cup few weeks ago with Adriana González, Marta Fraga and Astrid Waernes.... our players often don't play juniors but since they're 15 or 14 are playing challengers with players that can be twice elder than then :D

jimbo mack
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Great Britain has many excellent young players...they just need to win. :)

Baltacha, Borwell, Keothavong, Paterson...they can all be big.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

they could NEVER be big! get real

Fantastic
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:28 PM
New Zealand - nothing since the days of Belinda Cordwell, Kelly Evernden and Chris Lewis.

*abby*
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:21 PM
england has got bugger all!i could play YAY!!!

jimbo mack
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
the Lawn tennis association in england, need to make the girls train harder, mentally and physically. and teach them to be competitive.

the last kind of decent british player we had was 1st round sam.........well that says it all!

salima
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:48 PM
I loved Oxana Bayul at the Olympics that year :hearts:.

The fact of whom she beat to get the gold made me like her even more :worship:.
:) I made some money on that bet :bounce:

to the subject of the thread:
"to kreate " a top tennis player is one of th most difficult task in sport. True as it was said here, money can´t kreate a top player, but it helps, helps a lot. Talent helps, but in the end it is not enough. Those strong enough to break throug are more than talented, they are players with a huge will power, determination, and a shade of luck.
Not only the nature of the sport, but also the system it is organised under makes it difficult to rise, ecsecially from a country without traditions.
In my country we had a lot of sucsess in the winter olympics 1992 -1994. what made it natural to try to copy it over to other sports. Chosen sports was Athletics, Sycling and Tennis. In athletics and sycling Norway won olympic golds and world championships. The best player from the tennis project still playing is Stian Boretti, ranked 400(?) The bigest TALENT was no doubt Caroline Tiedeman, but her determination of being a world class player soon diminished when she was sent out on the road alone with a coach she did not trust 100%.

:wavey:

Pdm1987
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:09 PM
In Great Britain it is going to be difficult for young players to burst onto the tennis scene because we have a compulsory education system up until the age of 16, which is why our players need more time to mature as tennis players ;)

Elena Baltacha CAN & WILL BE a top 50 tennis player!!!!! Anne Keothavong, Jane O'Donoghue can both be inside the top 100. The talent is there just no consistency!

Other players who can be firmly inside the top 200 for GBR are Amanda Janes & Sarah Borwell, so I don't think it's too bad a situation for a country where the primary sport is NOT tennis!

Young players who can do well for Great Britain, could include Melanie South, Katie O'Brien, Katherine Baker & Jade Curtis :)

jimbo mack
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:12 PM
Anne Keothavong, Jane O'Donoghue can both be inside the top 100.

Other players who can be firmly inside the top 200 for GBR are Amanda Janes & Sarah Borwell, so I don't think it's too bad a situation for a country where the primary sport is NOT tennis!

Young players who can do well for Great Britain, could include Melanie South, Katie O'Brien, Katherine Baker & Jade Curtis

keep on dreaming :)

IsraeliJew
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Great Britian........maybe , maybe someday.....

croat123
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:11 AM
croatian tennis is coming back...

we'll get sprem up there in the rankings and kostanic is showing she can play with the top players now, she just needs consistancy. talaja did make it to 18th place once, she just has to fight her way back up there (and learn to hit a forehand).

majoli...lucic... (i can't believe they are in the same catagory :o ) iva's done i think, esp. after her loss to brinerova, she might stay to play the olympics...
mirjana... i don't know, maybe she will do what jennifer did, but i doubt it

we also have ivana lisjak who is really good and darija jurak and sanda mamic are good, but need confindence. ivana will do next year what sprem did this year.

Kirt12255
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:52 AM
:bounce: :bounce: Spain just won the European junior summer cup few weeks ago with Adriana González, Marta Fraga and Astrid Waernes.... our players often don't play juniors but since they're 15 or 14 are playing challengers with players that can be twice elder than then :D

:wavey: I guess what I was trying to say with the list of countries I stated is that over the past 2 years in the senior ranks these countries havn't been as powerful as perhaps they should be. I know with Australia the juniors seem to have problems in transition into the senior ranks. Annabell Ellwood and Siobon Drake-Brockman were both extremely good junior players but have slid off the face of the earth. I guessI should be scrubbing Croatia off that list though eith Sprem etc.

The problem with both Great Britain and Australia is that many experienced players havn't been putting time back into the system that made them big, it's only been the past few years that Australia has had the likes of Eyvonne Cawley and Mark Woodforde putting their hands up for Australian Tennis. British Tennis has been in trouble for some time, and like everyone else I hope they find a solution...would be nothing better than to see a British Woman in the Semi's at Wimbledon :wavey: